Front derailleur adjustment

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Kwalters, Feb 11, 2003.

  1. Kwalters

    Kwalters Guest

    Can't find my instructions for adjusting the fd. Anyone know the recommended distance between the
    top of the big ring (52) and bottom of the outside of the fd cage? (all Ultegra triple).

    Thanks. Ken

    Tags:

  2. kwalters <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Can't find my instructions for adjusting the fd. Anyone know the recommended distance between the
    : top of the big ring (52) and bottom of the outside of the fd cage? (all Ultegra triple).

    As close as possible without touching.

    Also make sure the outside of the cage is as parallel as it can be by eye with to the chainrings.

    Cheerz, Lynzz

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "kwalters" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Can't find my instructions for adjusting the fd. Anyone know the recommended distance between the
    > top of the big ring (52) and bottom of the outside of the fd cage? (all Ultegra triple).

    Set front changers with 1-2mm clearance between the cage and the tooth at the closest point. Ensure
    the cage is parallel with the rings when viewed from above.

  4. Mikeyankee

    Mikeyankee Guest

    I use the following trick with good results. Put chain on big ring. Use a Popsicle stick (~9 mm) as
    a gauge between the chain rollers and derailleur cage. Lower derailleur until top of cage clamps
    down (lightly) on Popsicle stick. Turn cage parallel to chainrings. Tighten derailleur mounting bolt
    and remove Popsicle stick.

    Mike Yankee

    (Address is munged to thwart spammers. To reply, delete everything after "com".)