FT measuring

acoggan said:
Actually, it sounds as if in your case 0.95 x 20 min power slightly underestimates your functional threshold power. Think about it: you were able to average 288 W during a 1 h climb during which you rode for 20 min at above your functional threshold power...in fact, at the highest power you could sustain for that duration. Presumably, then, you would be able to average >288 W for 1 h if you paced yourself a bit more evenly (although not necessarily by much).

In any case, I'd just call it 290 W, and stick w/ that value until you've got evidence that it's wrong...

I was going to conduct the test every 4 weeks. If I'm higher I'll change it immediately but what If for some reason or another I can't get that high anymore do I lower my treshold power immediately or wait another test to see the confirmation of the decline in power and then lower it

stevevinck said:
I was going to conduct the test every 4 weeks. If I'm higher I'll change it immediately but what If for some reason or another I can't get that high anymore do I lower my treshold power immediately or wait another test to see the confirmation of the decline in power and then lower it
I think you'll find that an overestimation of FTP is sort of self-correcting for purposes of setting interval targets. If, for example, you do 2 or 3 x 20min efforts at 100%FTP and if FTP is overestimated, then you will have difficulty maintaining power for the 2nd or 3rd 20min effort. Likewise for VO2MAX or AWC efforts. It will be difficult or impossible to complete a set of high-intensity efforts with what should be an appropriate amount of recovery between efforts. Underestimating FTP is not so readily revealed unless you just notice that it is simply too easy to complete the high-intensity efforts (along with telltale signs such as a slightly lower HR than usual). When that happens, I usually just milk it for a week or two and enjoy the slightly easier effort until I do a test and have concrete proof that my FTP is higher. Then, I usually stare at the CP graph and say, "Damn, now I have to go and raise my power targets!":D