measuring metrics

slowfoot

Jan 18, 2008
i just got my powertap setup and want to know how people measure their metrics.

do you get them from a ride and the download after it, or, for example, do you specifically do a 5 sec interval , then separate intervals for each time segment after?

thanks
dave t

Measuring metrics.

1 meter = 3.28084ft

Apple ± Crust ≠ π

I think you're over complicating things so much that I'm having a hard time grasping what you're looking for...

everyone posts their power profiles as:

5s
1m
5m
60m

are these extracted from a race or recorded from isolated tests at those time intervals

you probably will consider my stats as inconsequential due to my age and level but it makes working out indoors much more fun considering
it is 10 degrees f and snowing where i am

thanks

dave t

If you use WKO+ software (which most people do, download a copy of it to try for free for 14 days before you buy) then it provides those metrics for you in every workout. It will also create a running graph with a peak power curve with your bests at literally every time frame. You can then customise these graphs if you want to compare last season with this season, today's workout with all-time records, etc. etc.

I think Golden Cheetah which is free will do the same but others can chime in on that since I don't use that software much.

The Saris PowerAgent software does that too I believe, though to be honest I only use PowerAgent to look at surges in races. I prefer WKO for handling general metrics.

They are extracted by the tools as Maryka says. Most people will specifically attempt them at various points in their training - or in actual races - 5second peaks often come in actual races where there's real motivation. 1 minute will generally come from a focussed test effort - and you'll likely needs lots of tries to get a max. 5 minutes will come from a Hill Climb in the UK but if you don't race very short hard hill climbs it will likely come from a focussed training attempt at it. The 60 may also come from a race but people will often estimate that from other tests. e.g. I often race 25 mile TT or a challenge on a course which takes anywhere from 50 minutes (hopefully less next summer!) but it will give a better estimate than any actual 60 minute effort which I'll never pace.

For the best power profiling results you should actually test the durations of interest. For instance it's very unlikely you'll sustain your best possible power for one minute or for a full hour just by doing rides and races unless your races include the kilo and a 40K time trial ridden right at 40 kph.

Spend some time reading here: http://home.trainingpeaks.com/power411.aspx

The part on power profiling in particular should answer some of your questions, and yes as the others have said most power analysis software lets you easily track best efforts for various durations.

-Dave

great stuff.
thank you for the helpful insights
it'll be great to have more focus and structure to my workouts and data to measure improvements.

dave

Always set your recording device to the shortest time interval. There are a lot of little spikes during cycling and you don't want to miss any of them.

For seeing your 5, 10, 20, ect bests people always posts those as their best from all their files. No way does anyone ever get their best on both sides of the power curve during the same ride.

Occasionally you will get your best 10, 20sec in the same ride, but I doubt you're getting a new 60 min power PR in that same ride.

-Nate