FTP different from Tri and Road bike?

buckhorn

Aug 17, 2006
Asked this question in a different sort of way the other day, but I am now convinced I need have different levels set for each bike. I did a 40km TT in a tri today with the tri bike, and the peak watts were significantly lower across all the time frames from the road bike. I am sure that a 1 mile swim, and holding back because of the upcoming run had something to do with the lower power output, but I feel that doesn't come close to making up the difference.

Anyone else have 2 FTP for 2 different bikes?

Thinking about setting up a second athlete in CP to keep the zones seperate and correct.

Any thoughts?

buckhorn said:
Asked this question in a different sort of way the other day, but I am now convinced I need have different levels set for each bike. I did a 40km TT in a tri today with the tri bike, and the peak watts were significantly lower across all the time frames from the road bike. I am sure that a 1 mile swim, and holding back because of the upcoming run had something to do with the lower power output, but I feel that doesn't come close to making up the difference.

Anyone else have 2 FTP for 2 different bikes?

Thinking about setting up a second athlete in CP to keep the zones seperate and correct.

Any thoughts?
It's fairly common for people to be able to sustain less wattage on their tt or tri bikes than their road bikes. How different are the two positions? Personally, I went from a traditional far-forward seat setup on my tt bike to one identical to my road position and this seemed to help a lot. I'll know for sure when I get my PT in a week or so!:)

whoawhoa said:
Personally, I went from a traditional far-forward seat setup on my tt bike to one identical to my road position and this seemed to help a lot. I'll know for sure when I get my PT in a week or so!:)
Interesting, what did you do. Did you shorten the stem ?

So basically the distance between the shoulders and the seat is the same, but you're getting other angles for legs relative to the crank.

Is this about the contrast between FTP when riding a road bike compared to a tri bike, or the contrast between riding a 1 hour time trial compared with swimming a mile/cycling for an hour/running some?

Is there not going to be a difference in power output when swimming and running are using up energy resources, as opposed to just warming up and riding a 1 hour TT?

SolarEnergy said:
Interesting, what did you do. Did you shorten the stem ?

So basically the distance between the shoulders and the seat is the same, but you're getting other angles for legs relative to the crank.
When I moved my seat back, I had to lower the seat some. So I left the front in the same which meant less drop but more reach. From some highly-calibrated mirror testing, the two positions appear similar, with the new one being perhaps more aero. I'm a lurker on the BTR forums, and have Scotmart as well as a few other posters over there to thank for the idea.

whoawhoa said:
It's fairly common for people to be able to sustain less wattage on their tt or tri bikes than their road bikes.
This statement would be true if you added one word -- initially. The question is whether one produces less power after a reasonable period of adaptation to the position on the 2nd bike. If the position causes your thighs to hit your torso, then the position is flawed. Otherwise, it might be worth spending some time riding in the (different) position at FTP on the 2nd bike before drawing any conclusions about a persevering loss of power.