Full suss MTB suitable for 'er indoors

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fred Fragger

'evenin' all,

'er indoors has taken to MTBing big time since we bought her one last spring. She currently has a
cheapo full-suss steel-framed jobbie that weighs about 7 ton and she really needs to move on. I've
tried to talk her into a hardtail but she likes the way her current bike protects her more delicate
parts and insists on suspension front & back.

She's also a short-**** (5'2") and doesn't like getting her leg over if you

So, looking for a cheapish full suss bike, available in the UK for less than 500 quid?

Don't want much do I?

Later,

Fred

Looks like a wet weekend - bugger. Still I can stay in at watch England show those Aussies how to
play rugby in the morning :)

Fred Fragger murmured in a foreign language:
> 'evenin' all,
>
> 'er indoors has taken to MTBing big time since we bought her one last spring. She currently has a
> cheapo full-suss steel-framed jobbie that weighs about 7 ton and she really needs to move on. I've
> tried to talk her into a hardtail but she likes the way her current bike protects her more
> delicate parts and insists on suspension front & back.
>
> She's also a short-**** (5'2") and doesn't like getting her leg over if you know what I mean :)

I'm 5'3, female and I don't know what you mean. Perhaps she needs to enroll in a
yoga/flexiblity class.

so she wants a frame suitable for the

They don't make "girl frames" in full suspension, or come to think of it, in mountain bikes at leats
not to my knowledge Full suspension protecting the delicate parts? Bwahahaha In all seriousness, if
she doesn't want to get a leg up, and wants to protect the sensitive bits, she need a comfort bike,
with a really big squishy seat with springs.

hey whaddya know: a full suss comfort bike, the bike of the future.

http://www.giant-bicycle.com/us/030.000.000/030.001.000.asp?answerid=8754&sAction=SHOW&keyword=Dual-
+Suspension

Now, if she's looking for a way to not get saddle sort, the suspension is not going to do it, but a
different saddle ( look at the Terry's among others) and some really good padded cycling shorts
might help.

And you of course get to kiss it and make it feel better at the end of the day.

>
> So, looking for a cheapish full suss bike, available in the UK for less than 500 quid?
>
> Don't want much do I?

no...

penny s

>Subject: Re: Full suss MTB suitable for 'er indoors From: "Penny S" [email protected]
>Date: 11/21/2003 7:30 PM Eastern Standard Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
>
>Fred Fragger murmured in a foreign language:
>> 'evenin' all,
>>
>> 'er indoors has taken to MTBing big time since we bought her one last spring. She currently has a
>> cheapo full-suss steel-framed jobbie that weighs about 7 ton and she really needs to move on.
>> I've tried to talk her into a hardtail but she likes the way her current bike protects her more
>> delicate parts and insists on suspension front & back.
>>
>> She's also a short-**** (5'2") and doesn't like getting her leg over if you know what I mean :)
>
>I'm 5'3, female and I don't know what you mean. Perhaps she needs to enroll in a
>yoga/flexiblity class.
>
> so she wants a frame suitable for the

>
>They don't make "girl frames" in full suspension, or come to think of it,

Umm, what about the Santa Cruz Julianna? I also know if you look around the Specialized website
you'll find a few women specific frames, along with Cannondale too.

> In all seriousness, if she doesn't want to get a leg up, and wants to protect the sensitive bits,
> she need a comfort bike, with a really big squishy seat with springs.
>
Heh, the saddle on her current bike is like a bloody sofa!

Full suspension bike, gel saddle with elastomer suspension - all she needs is a suspension
seatpost now.

I have a theory that all this suspension will cancel itself out :)

There are plenty of MTBs (hardtails I'll grant you) out there specifically designed for the ladies -
you have shorter legs and longer arms apparently.

Were also looking for a full-sus bra if you know where we can get one (she's a big girl
for her mum!)

Later, Fred

00:45, time for bed said Zebedee...

Foreign language!?

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 at 00:30 GMT, Penny S penned:
> Fred Fragger murmured in a foreign language:
>> 'evenin' all,
>>
>> 'er indoors has taken to MTBing big time since we bought her one last spring. She currently has a
>> cheapo full-suss steel-framed jobbie that weighs about 7 ton and she really needs to move on.
>> I've tried to talk her into a hardtail but she likes the way her current bike protects her more
>> delicate parts and insists on suspension front & back.
>>
>> She's also a short-**** (5'2") and doesn't like getting her leg over if you know what I mean :)
>
> I'm 5'3, female and I don't know what you mean. Perhaps she needs to enroll in a
> yoga/flexiblity class.

I'm 5'5, female and agree with penny. I hadn't ridden a bike for years before getting my mountain
bike, and initially I was nervous about having to get on and off of a non-girly-frame bike, but
after about three mounts and dismounts, I didn't notice it anymore. It's really not a big deal,
assuming that her bike is anywhere close to actually fitting her.

Tell your girl to stop being such a wuss. If there's a major inflexibility issue due to a past
injury or something, she should work on leg side stretches -- stand facing the wall, hands on the
wall, and lift one leg sideways as far as possible, repeatedly. Or do the same thing but have
someone hold the leg suspended for a few minutes. Or stretch with both feet on the floor, but
personally that's my least favorite form. (As with any stretches, especially when done before being
warmed up, take it easy at first and only slowly approach the point of discomfort.)

--
monique PLEASE don't CC me. Please. Pretty please with sugar on top. Whatever it takes, just don't
CC me! I'm already subscribed!!

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 at 01:59 GMT, MTBScottie penned:
>>Subject: Re: Full suss MTB suitable for 'er indoors From: "Penny S" [email protected]
>>Date: 11/21/2003 7:30 PM Eastern Standard Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
>>
>>Fred Fragger murmured in a foreign language:
>>> 'evenin' all,
>>>
>>> 'er indoors has taken to MTBing big time since we bought her one last spring. She currently has
>>> a cheapo full-suss steel-framed jobbie that weighs about 7 ton and she really needs to move on.
>>> I've tried to talk her into a hardtail but she likes the way her current bike protects her more
>>> delicate parts and insists on suspension front & back.
>>>
>>> She's also a short-**** (5'2") and doesn't like getting her leg over if you know what I mean :)
>>
>>I'm 5'3, female and I don't know what you mean. Perhaps she needs to enroll in a
>>yoga/flexiblity class.
>>
>> so she wants a frame suitable for the

>>
>>They don't make "girl frames" in full suspension, or come to think of it,
>
> Umm, what about the Santa Cruz Julianna? I also know if you look around the Specialized website
> you'll find a few women specific frames, along with Cannondale too.

I think penny and I both assumed that the target Fred was describing was not a WSD, but rather the
old style "girl bikes" that have a low-dipping frame (presumably to make room for our dresses?). The
kind that most girls probably grew up riding.

--
monique PLEASE don't CC me. Please. Pretty please with sugar on top. Whatever it takes, just don't

Fred Fragger murmured while asleep:
>> In all seriousness, if she doesn't want to get a leg up, and wants to protect the sensitive bits,
>> she need a comfort bike, with a really big squishy seat with springs.
>>
> Heh, the saddle on her current bike is like a bloody sofa!
>
> Full suspension bike, gel saddle with elastomer suspension - all she needs is a suspension
> seatpost now.

Maybe she needs to suck it up and tough it out and do a little homework on what it takes to not get
saddle sore. If she's riding the bike correctly, she should be out of the saddle most of the time
anyway. Gel saddles and cushiness can actually promote getting saddle sore and chafing.
>
> I have a theory that all this suspension will cancel itself out :)
>
> There are plenty of MTBs (hardtails I'll grant you) out there specifically designed for the ladies
> - you have shorter legs and longer arms apparently.

I am a big **dis** believer in WSD. While its appropriate for a certain body type of woman, it's not
for everyone and if you limit your options to it only, you really limit your choices. And WSD
doesn't mean a dropped top tube, it's a certain geometry, and things like narrower handle bars.
>
> Were also looking for a full-sus bra if you know where we can get one (she's a big girl for
> her mum!)
>

this company specializes in sports bras for all sizes of women http://www.title9sports.com/

This company here does women's bike clothing http://www.teamestrogen.com

Penny

--
me and my bike: www.specialtyoutdoors.com/biking.htm

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 at 01:04 GMT, Penny S penned:
> Fred Fragger murmured while asleep:
>>> In all seriousness, if she doesn't want to get a leg up, and wants to protect the sensitive
>>> bits, she need a comfort bike, with a really big squishy seat with springs.
>>>
>> Heh, the saddle on her current bike is like a bloody sofa!

That sounds like the problem. Most people here seem to feel that soft saddles *cause* soreness ...
oh, penny covered this one below.

>> Full suspension bike, gel saddle with elastomer suspension - all she needs is a suspension
>> seatpost now.
>
> Maybe she needs to suck it up and tough it out and do a little homework on what it takes to not
> get saddle sore. If she's riding the bike correctly, she should be out of the saddle most of the
> time anyway. Gel saddles and cushiness can actually promote getting saddle sore and chafing.
>>
>> I have a theory that all this suspension will cancel itself out :)
>>
>> There are plenty of MTBs (hardtails I'll grant you) out there specifically designed for the
>> ladies - you have shorter legs and longer arms apparently.
>
> I am a big **dis** believer in WSD. While its appropriate for a certain body type of woman, it's
> not for everyone and if you limit your options to it only, you really limit your choices. And WSD
> doesn't mean a dropped top tube, it's a certain geometry, and things like narrower handle bars.

There are plenty of full-susp. WSDs too.

When I first went shopping for a mountain bike, I was dead-set on supporting manufacturers who
catered to women, so I requested a specific WSD. The salesguy tried me on all three sizes, then
practically begged me to try the smallest "men's" version. As it turned out, it's the men's version
that fit me best.

And btw, I think a major part of WSD is designing for a shorter torso, rather than shorter legs and
longer arms. (In fact, I'm pretty sure that women in general have *shorter* arms than men.)

It's naive to think that all women (or men) are built the same. It's good that companies are
thinking about and designing for alternate body types, but that doesn't mean that every woman fits
that body type. This is why it's so vital to try, try, try different bikes before buying.

>> Were also looking for a full-sus bra if you know where we can get one (she's a big girl for
>> her mum!)
>>
>

I like the champion doubledry stuff, but I apparently have a lot more, um, bounce-tolerance than a
lot of women with my proportions. As with bikes, try, try, try before you buy.

--

Monique Y. Herman murmured while asleep:
> On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 at 01:59 GMT, MTBScottie penned:>> Umm, what about the
Santa Cruz Julianna? I also know if you look
>> around the Specialized website you'll find a few women specific frames, along with
>> Cannondale too.
>
> I think penny and I both assumed that the target Fred was describing was not a WSD, but rather the
> old style "girl bikes" that have a low-dipping frame (presumably to make room for our dresses?).
> The kind that most girls probably grew up riding.

yep the juliana is no more of a drop top tube than any other FS.
http://www.santacruzmtb.com/bicycles/julianas/juliana.asp Plus I think it's out of Fred's prince
range, and it's probalby more bike than Ms. Fred wants.

Penny

Monique Y. Herman wrote:

> I like the champion doubledry stuff, but I apparently have a lot more, um, bounce-tolerance than a
> lot of women with my proportions. As with bikes, try, try, try before you buy.

Comments from well-endowed friends on bras purchased from Title 9:

Champion Double-Dry Jog Bra: Not enough support for high impact activities if you're a D or DD.
"I put this one on and jogged in place in front of the mirror. I stopped but my chest kept right
on going."

Answer-To-Your Prayers Bra: Not bad. Comfortable enough to wear all day, good support. Too bad it
doesn't come in black.

Bounceless Bra: Weird fit - Band seemed to be the right size, but rubbed. Butt ugly;
industrial looking.

Wired and Ready for Action: Favorite. Good support, comes in a huge range of sizes,
available in black.

http://www.title9sports.com/jump.jsp?itemType=CATEGORY&itemID=26

As always, your mileage may vary.

Kathleen

"Kathleen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Monique Y. Herman wrote:
>
> > I like the champion doubledry stuff, but I apparently have a lot more, um, bounce-tolerance than
> > a lot of women with my proportions. As with bikes, try, try, try before you buy.
>
> Comments from well-endowed friends on bras purchased from Title 9:
>
> Champion Double-Dry Jog Bra: Not enough support for high impact activities if you're a D or DD.
> "I put this one on and jogged in place in front of the mirror. I stopped but my chest kept right
> on going."
>
> Answer-To-Your Prayers Bra: Not bad. Comfortable enough to wear all day, good support. Too bad it
> doesn't come in black.
>
> Bounceless Bra: Weird fit - Band seemed to be the right size, but rubbed. Butt ugly; industrial
> looking.
>
> Wired and Ready for Action: Favorite. Good support, comes in a huge range of sizes, available
> in black.
>
> http://www.title9sports.com/jump.jsp?itemType=CATEGORY&itemID=26
>
> As always, your mileage may vary.
>
> Kathleen
>

What about the Anna Kornikova bra?

--
- Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

Fred Fragger wrote:
> 'er indoors

You're going to have to explain this to a foreigner. Like who are you talking about. your wife your
daughter, maid? What does indoors have to do with anything. Does she ride the bike indoors or what??

--
Perre

You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

Thanks for all the replys peeps, I'm out with 'er indoors tomorrow afternoon to have a look round a
few bike shops. We're NOT looking for a bike she can ride wearing a dress BTW :). Looking on the
web, I guess Muddyfox, Saracen and perhaps Trek will be the main contenders in her price bracket but
we'll see what we find.

OK on the saddle comments. I agree that the saddle she's currently using is way too big but I think
she'll progress to a "normal" saddle over time. I also had issues with the height of her saddle
earlier this year but that's gone up by 4 or 5 inches over recent months and her riding position now
looks a darn site more comfortable to me.

The bra thing, well I'm not too comfortable going much further on that

alert> poor thing has to wear lead weights on her heels to stay upright <g>.
They're idependantly sprung and when they get out of step with her knees,
i.e. knee coming up, breast going down...... Pretty rare to find decent sports bras in her size
apparently.

Anyway, 'nuff of this girlie bra stuff, I'm a rough, tough male bike rider for christ's sake!!

Later,

Fred

I don't care if it IS still raining tomorrow morning, I'm up the woods on the bike. I might even
clean it afterwards.

"Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Fred Fragger wrote:
> > 'er indoors
>
> You're going to have to explain this to a foreigner. Like who are you talking about. your wife
> your daughter, maid? What does indoors have to do with anything. Does she ride the bike indoors
> or what??
>
>
> --
> Perre
>
> You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.
>
>

You 'avin' a larf guv? :)

'er is East London pronunciation of "her". East Londoners don't generally pronounce the letter 'H'
so you get 'ouse for house, 'orse for horse etc.

it infers that she is at home (i.e. indoors) chained to the kitchen sink where she should be.

<old jokes> Why is a wedding dress white? - to match all the kitchen appliances. Why do women have
small feet? - so they can stand closer to the sink </old jokes>

The phrase was made popular by a TV program called Minder back in the 70's (although you can still
find in running on one of the SkyTV channels I believe). The character who made the saying famous
always appeared to be in awe, perhaps even frightened, of 'er indoors (who, if I recall correctly,
was never actually seen).

Later,

Fred

I'm off to the jug now to draw some wedge then I'm off out with some diamond geezers to get
bladdered.

(I'm going to the bank to get some money and then I'm going out for the evening with some very close
friends and I'll probably get a little drunk)

I should have pointed out that some people from the East End of London are of course frightfully
well spoken and actually over-emphasise the letter "H" like all well bred Englishmen should! Pass
the tea Vicar!

They don't all talk like **** Van Dyke in Mary Poppins :) That has to be the worst cockney
accent EVER

Later,

Fred

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 at 17:31 GMT, Fred Fragger penned:
>
> OK on the saddle comments. I agree that the saddle she's currently using is way too big but I
> think she'll progress to a "normal" saddle over time. I also had issues with the height of her
> saddle earlier this year but that's gone up by 4 or 5 inches over recent months and her riding
> position now looks a darn site more comfortable to me.
>

Question is, what's comfortable to her? I would think the height of the saddle primarily determines
leg extension ... and riding position is pretty much the result of how the frame fits your body
after you've set the saddle height. (Okay, I'm a newbie, so maybe I'm talking out my ass, but it
sounds right to me.) Anyway, my understanding is that a variety of riding positions are used -- some
folks like to be more upright; some more forward.

> Anyway, 'nuff of this girlie bra stuff, I'm a rough, tough male bike rider for christ's sake!!

Which brings me to the question that's been at the tip of my tongue all around -- why are
*you* asking these questions for her? She'd probably get much better input by asking these
questions herself!

--

Monique Y. Herman murmured while asleep:
> On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 at 17:31 GMT, Fred Fragger penned:
>>
>> OK on the saddle comments. I agree that the saddle she's currently using is way too big but I
>> think she'll progress to a "normal" saddle over time. I also had issues with the height of her
>> saddle earlier this year but that's gone up by 4 or 5 inches over recent months and her riding
>> position now looks a darn site more comfortable to me.
>>
>
> Question is, what's comfortable to her? I would think the height of the saddle primarily
> determines leg extension ... and riding position is pretty much the result of how the frame fits
> your body after you've set the saddle height. (Okay, I'm a newbie, so maybe I'm talking out my
> ass, but it sounds right to me.) Anyway, my understanding is that a variety of riding positions
> are used -- some folks like to be more upright; some more forward.
>
>> Anyway, 'nuff of this girlie bra stuff, I'm a rough, tough male bike rider for christ's sake!!
>
> Which brings me to the question that's been at the tip of my tongue all around -- why are *you*
> asking these questions for her? She'd probably get much better input by asking these questions
> herself!

'e's being a 'elpful bloke ,is 'e?

[email protected] (MTBScottie) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Umm, what about the Santa Cruz Julianna? I also know if you look around the Specialized website
> you'll find a few women specific frames, along with Cannondale too.

Hilarious. The scotty-dog handing out recommendations for women-specific bikes.

Ever ride one, sonny?
--
Jonesy

<snip>
> breast reduction surgery? ( seriously)

Has been considered (seriously)

> this forum here is a good place for girls to discuss stuff like that.
> http://forums.teamestrogen.com.
>
> Penny S member IBTC
>

I've passed the link on so she may well post there.

Cheers

Fred

> 'e's being a 'elpful bloke ,is 'e?
>

s'right, 'e is

Seriously though folks, she does find her shape a problem (and sometimes an embarrassment
unfortunately) and she really IS looking for a decent sports bra for big girls.

The saddle height was something I tried to change early on as it was obviously too low but she has
gradually moved it up herself as her riding has improved and now the leg extension looks about right
to me (just a slight bend in the knee when the pedal is at the lowest point). When we buy the new
bike we'll spend a bit more time looking at frame sizes to make sure it "fits". I think the current
one was selected because it was a nice colour (I'm still being serious folks!).

Later,

Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.