Furnature polish on chain. What do you think?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Peter Fox, Jul 5, 2004.

  1. Peter Fox

    Peter Fox Guest

    For my own bike I put some fancy wax on the chain. But if I'm presented
    with a dozen kids bikes at a training session, I'm not going to waste
    that stuff on them. Oil and grease are rather yukky and soon filthy.
    So how about Mr Sheen, perhaps delivered through one of those tiny tubes
    as a fairly good better than nothing and quite likely to be on hand for
    these kids in the future.
    (a) Has anyone tried it?
    (b) Has anyone got a dry chain they don't mind experimenting with?
    (c) Any reason why it's a Bad Thing?

    --
    PETER FOX Not the same since the deckchair business folded
    [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. "Peter Fox" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]
    > For my own bike I put some fancy wax on the chain. But if I'm

    presented
    > with a dozen kids bikes at a training session, I'm not going to

    waste
    > that stuff on them. Oil and grease are rather yukky and soon

    filthy.
    > So how about Mr Sheen, perhaps delivered through one of those tiny

    tubes
    > as a fairly good better than nothing and quite likely to be on hand

    for
    > these kids in the future.
    > (a) Has anyone tried it?
    > (b) Has anyone got a dry chain they don't mind experimenting with?
    > (c) Any reason why it's a Bad Thing?

    What you need to lubricate is the insides of the pin-bushing-roller
    assembly at each link. If you use wax - paraffin wax is traditional
    among those too cheap to use furniture wax - you need to melt it.
    You have to take the chain off, of course, and if you set the kitchen
    on fire while boiling the chain up in one of your partner's saucpans,
    that's a bad thing, but otherwise it ought to be ok.

    Using one of those on-the-bike-chain cleaners to apply hot wax might
    be a bit tricky.

    Jeremy Parker

  3. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    Peter Fox <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > For my own bike I put some fancy wax on the chain. But if I'm presented
    > with a dozen kids bikes at a training session, I'm not going to waste
    > that stuff on them. Oil and grease are rather yukky and soon filthy.
    > So how about Mr Sheen, perhaps delivered through one of those tiny tubes
    > as a fairly good better than nothing and quite likely to be on hand for
    > these kids in the future.
    > (a) Has anyone tried it?
    > (b) Has anyone got a dry chain they don't mind experimenting with?
    > (c) Any reason why it's a Bad Thing?

    Halfords do an aerosol spray wax that's likely to be better than
    furniture polish, and probably not much more expensive.

    --
    Dave...

    Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if
    it were administered prior to the crime. — Woody Allen

  4. Fat Lad

    Fat Lad Guest

    Peter Fox wrote:
    > For my own bike I put some fancy wax on the chain. But if I'm presented
    > with a dozen kids bikes at a training session, I'm not going to waste
    > that stuff on them. Oil and grease are rather yukky and soon filthy. So
    > how about Mr Sheen, perhaps delivered through one of those tiny tubes as
    > a fairly good better than nothing and quite likely to be on hand for
    > these kids in the future.
    > (a) Has anyone tried it?
    > (b) Has anyone got a dry chain they don't mind experimenting with?
    > (c) Any reason why it's a Bad Thing?
    > --
    > PETER FOX Not the same since the deckchair business folded
    > [email protected]
    > www.eminent.demon.co.uk/wcc.htm Witham Cycling Campaign
    > www.eminent.demon.co.uk/rides East Anglian Pub cycle rides

    Never heard of waxing a chain. Is there any benefit for doing so apart
    from being less messy?

    --

  5. Fat Lad wrote:

    > Never heard of waxing a chain. Is there any benefit for doing so apart
    > from being less messy?

    What other benefit do you need? :)

    --
    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  6. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Peter Fox wrote:

    > For my own bike I put some fancy wax on the chain. But if I'm presented
    > with a dozen kids bikes at a training session, I'm not going to waste
    > that stuff on them. Oil and grease are rather yukky and soon filthy. So
    > how about Mr Sheen, perhaps delivered through one of those tiny tubes as
    > a fairly good better than nothing and quite likely to be on hand for
    > these kids in the future.
    > (a) Has anyone tried it?
    > (b) Has anyone got a dry chain they don't mind experimenting with?
    > (c) Any reason why it's a Bad Thing?

    Be even cheaper and smear some ear wax on it why don't you. Seriously
    furniture wax is not designed for bearing lubrication any you'd be
    wasting your time. If you are that desperate for a quick short lived
    fix spray some WD40 on. Won't last much beyond the end of the session
    mind you.

    Tony

  7. Daren Austin

    Daren Austin Guest

    Peter Fox <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > For my own bike I put some fancy wax on the chain. But if I'm presented
    > with a dozen kids bikes at a training session, I'm not going to waste
    > that stuff on them. Oil and grease are rather yukky and soon filthy.
    > So how about Mr Sheen, perhaps delivered through one of those tiny tubes
    > as a fairly good better than nothing and quite likely to be on hand for
    > these kids in the future.
    > (a) Has anyone tried it?
    > (b) Has anyone got a dry chain they don't mind experimenting with?
    > (c) Any reason why it's a Bad Thing?

    a) No
    b) Yes, I'll try something later
    c) ISTR that cheap furniture polish has a high water content, not a
    good thing for chains.

    Nothing wrong with wax on chains, but the solvent that gets the wax
    into the bushes should be volatile (i.e.,not water) surely? See if any
    of the better polishes have a different solvent.

    Best use for Mr Sheen is instant shoe shine. Furniture should be
    dusted with a damp cloth before proper waxing.

    Daren
    ---
    remove outer garment for reply

  8. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    [email protected] (Daren Austin) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Best use for Mr Sheen is instant shoe shine.

    Good tip! I'll give that a try. :)

    --
    Dave...

    I can't listen to that much Wagner. I start getting the urge to
    conquer Poland. — Woody Allen