Furnature polish on chain. What do you think?

Peter Fox

Guest
For my own bike I put some fancy wax on the chain. But if I'm presented
with a dozen kids bikes at a training session, I'm not going to waste
that stuff on them. Oil and grease are rather yukky and soon filthy.
So how about Mr Sheen, perhaps delivered through one of those tiny tubes
as a fairly good better than nothing and quite likely to be on hand for
these kids in the future.
(a) Has anyone tried it?
(b) Has anyone got a dry chain they don't mind experimenting with?
(c) Any reason why it's a Bad Thing?

--
PETER FOX Not the same since the deckchair business folded
[email protected]

"Peter Fox" <[email protected]> wrote
in message news:[email protected]...
> For my own bike I put some fancy wax on the chain. But if I'm

presented
> with a dozen kids bikes at a training session, I'm not going to

waste
> that stuff on them. Oil and grease are rather yukky and soon

filthy.
> So how about Mr Sheen, perhaps delivered through one of those tiny

tubes
> as a fairly good better than nothing and quite likely to be on hand

for
> these kids in the future.
> (a) Has anyone tried it?
> (b) Has anyone got a dry chain they don't mind experimenting with?
> (c) Any reason why it's a Bad Thing?

What you need to lubricate is the insides of the pin-bushing-roller
assembly at each link. If you use wax - paraffin wax is traditional
among those too cheap to use furniture wax - you need to melt it.
You have to take the chain off, of course, and if you set the kitchen
on fire while boiling the chain up in one of your partner's saucpans,
that's a bad thing, but otherwise it ought to be ok.

Using one of those on-the-bike-chain cleaners to apply hot wax might
be a bit tricky.

Jeremy Parker

Peter Fox <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> For my own bike I put some fancy wax on the chain. But if I'm presented
> with a dozen kids bikes at a training session, I'm not going to waste
> that stuff on them. Oil and grease are rather yukky and soon filthy.
> So how about Mr Sheen, perhaps delivered through one of those tiny tubes
> as a fairly good better than nothing and quite likely to be on hand for
> these kids in the future.
> (a) Has anyone tried it?
> (b) Has anyone got a dry chain they don't mind experimenting with?
> (c) Any reason why it's a Bad Thing?

Halfords do an aerosol spray wax that's likely to be better than
furniture polish, and probably not much more expensive.

--
Dave...

Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if
it were administered prior to the crime. — Woody Allen

Peter Fox wrote:
> For my own bike I put some fancy wax on the chain. But if I'm presented
> with a dozen kids bikes at a training session, I'm not going to waste
> that stuff on them. Oil and grease are rather yukky and soon filthy. So
> how about Mr Sheen, perhaps delivered through one of those tiny tubes as
> a fairly good better than nothing and quite likely to be on hand for
> these kids in the future.
> (a) Has anyone tried it?
> (b) Has anyone got a dry chain they don't mind experimenting with?
> (c) Any reason why it's a Bad Thing?
> --
> PETER FOX Not the same since the deckchair business folded
> [email protected]
> www.eminent.demon.co.uk/wcc.htm Witham Cycling Campaign
> www.eminent.demon.co.uk/rides East Anglian Pub cycle rides

Never heard of waxing a chain. Is there any benefit for doing so apart
from being less messy?

--

Fat Lad wrote:

> Never heard of waxing a chain. Is there any benefit for doing so apart
> from being less messy?

What other benefit do you need? :)

--
Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Peter Fox wrote:

> For my own bike I put some fancy wax on the chain. But if I'm presented
> with a dozen kids bikes at a training session, I'm not going to waste
> that stuff on them. Oil and grease are rather yukky and soon filthy. So
> how about Mr Sheen, perhaps delivered through one of those tiny tubes as
> a fairly good better than nothing and quite likely to be on hand for
> these kids in the future.
> (a) Has anyone tried it?
> (b) Has anyone got a dry chain they don't mind experimenting with?
> (c) Any reason why it's a Bad Thing?

Be even cheaper and smear some ear wax on it why don't you. Seriously
furniture wax is not designed for bearing lubrication any you'd be
wasting your time. If you are that desperate for a quick short lived
fix spray some WD40 on. Won't last much beyond the end of the session
mind you.

Tony

Peter Fox <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> For my own bike I put some fancy wax on the chain. But if I'm presented
> with a dozen kids bikes at a training session, I'm not going to waste
> that stuff on them. Oil and grease are rather yukky and soon filthy.
> So how about Mr Sheen, perhaps delivered through one of those tiny tubes
> as a fairly good better than nothing and quite likely to be on hand for
> these kids in the future.
> (a) Has anyone tried it?
> (b) Has anyone got a dry chain they don't mind experimenting with?
> (c) Any reason why it's a Bad Thing?

a) No
b) Yes, I'll try something later
c) ISTR that cheap furniture polish has a high water content, not a
good thing for chains.

Nothing wrong with wax on chains, but the solvent that gets the wax
into the bushes should be volatile (i.e.,not water) surely? See if any
of the better polishes have a different solvent.

Best use for Mr Sheen is instant shoe shine. Furniture should be
dusted with a damp cloth before proper waxing.

Daren
---
remove outer garment for reply

[email protected] (Daren Austin) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Best use for Mr Sheen is instant shoe shine.

Good tip! I'll give that a try. :)

--
Dave...

I can't listen to that much Wagner. I start getting the urge to
conquer Poland. — Woody Allen