Gearing for Assault on Marion

Mish

Feb 28, 2004
I have an '02 Lemond Zurich with 53/39 and a cassette w/ 12-25.
Someone recommended to have a low gear of 35 inches for beginners and 45 for advanced riders while doing the Assault on Marion as a qualifer for the Assault on Mt. Mitchell. My low is 41 inches and I could get 38 inches if I swapped the 25 on my cassette and others to get to a 27.
This would give me 11 mph at 100rpm and 9 mph at 80 rpm.
Can I use a larger cassette cog than 27? I don't want to spend the money on a compact crank for very limited use.

Mish said:
Someone recommended to have a low gear of 35 inches for beginners and 45 for advanced riders while doing the Assault on Marion as a qualifer for the Assault on Mt. Mitchell. My low is 41 inches and I could get 38 inches if I swapped the 25 on my cassette and others to get to a 27.
Can I use a larger cassette cog than 27? I don't want to spend the money on a compact crank for very limited use.

If this is a 9-speed you can put on an MTB derailleur like XT (don't get rapid rise) and then put on an MTB cassette like 11-34. That's the classic "Death Ride" setup.

DiabloScott said:
If this is a 9-speed you can put on an MTB derailleur like XT (don't get rapid rise) and then put on an MTB cassette like 11-34. That's the classic "Death Ride" setup.

Never thought of that! I'll save over the compact crank and have an upgrade for my MTB.

I guess I'll need to lenghthen my chain.

Thank you for your help.

Mish said:
The first year that I rode Mitchell, which included passing the rest stop in Marion, I used a 53/39 12-26 and for the lower Marion route, that was about ok but again, it was sort of pushing the limits. By the time I was up to the top of Mt. Mitchell, I was sore, particularly my knees. I was also not really trained enough for the ride at that time. The following year, I left the 53/39 on the front and put a 13-28 on the rear and this really worked well for me. The 28 gave me sort of a bail out gearing but I was also in much better form that year so I took advantage of this and spun at a higher rpm. This was in 1993 and long before Lance made this technique popular.

Fox Farm said:
The first year that I rode Mitchell, which included passing the rest stop in Marion, I used a 53/39 12-26 and for the lower Marion route, that was about ok but again, it was sort of pushing the limits. By the time I was up to the top of Mt. Mitchell, I was sore, particularly my knees. I was also not really trained enough for the ride at that time. The following year, I left the 53/39 on the front and put a 13-28 on the rear and this really worked well for me. The 28 gave me sort of a bail out gearing but I was also in much better form that year so I took advantage of this and spun at a higher rpm. This was in 1993 and long before Lance made this technique popular.

My goal is to get into the Mitchell ride. I am considering a 13-30 9 speed. It will have to be custom, but I'll be able to use my current Ultegra derailleur. Did you get a MTB cassette? Probably 8 speed.

Mish said:
The first time I rode Marion, I did it on basically the same setup you have, and had no problem. That being said, when I did Mitchell this year, I took my since totaled GT with the triple, and I was thanking God on all 30 of the small ring teeth on the way up. It wasnt the fastest, but it got me to the top. In retrospect, had I prepared a little more, I could have done it with my double, but I would have been suffering in the last few miles. I saw alot of people doing it with doubles, even the friend I rode it with did it on a double, and I think his gearing is 11-23 in the rear because hes a junior.

cucamelsmd15 said:
The first time I rode Marion, I did it on basically the same setup you have, and had no problem. That being said, when I did Mitchell this year, I took my since totaled GT with the triple, and I was thanking God on all 30 of the small ring teeth on the way up. It wasnt the fastest, but it got me to the top. In retrospect, had I prepared a little more, I could have done it with my double, but I would have been suffering in the last few miles. I saw alot of people doing it with doubles, even the friend I rode it with did it on a double, and I think his gearing is 11-23 in the rear because hes a junior.

Thanks for the real life info. The gearing on the junior would be restricted on the high end. Maybe a 13 or 14 instead of 11.
I am planning on using a 13-30 cassette which will give me 34.2 gear inches in the 39-30 compared to 31.5 inches if I had a triple and used a 30-25. I would get very close to your ratio and only have to buy a custom cassette and not a new crank and derailleur.

Mish said:
Thanks for the real life info. The gearing on the junior would be restricted on the high end. Maybe a 13 or 14 instead of 11.
I am planning on using a 13-30 cassette which will give me 34.2 gear inches in the 39-30 compared to 31.5 inches if I had a triple and used a 30-25. I would get very close to your ratio and only have to buy a custom cassette and not a new crank and derailleur.
Yep, it CAN be done on a double, and I saw alot of people doing it. Be forewarned though, if youre riding 39x25 or something like that, you'll be suffering, no doubt. For Marion though, especially with a double, you should be fine.

cucamelsmd15 said:
Yep, it CAN be done on a double, and I saw alot of people doing it. Be forewarned though, if youre riding 39x25 or something like that, you'll be suffering, no doubt. For Marion though, especially with a double, you should be fine.

Good. I'll be doing Marion with a double and 39x30. Should be no problem. Then I'll have a year to think about Mitchell. Did you ride lower than a 30x25 at Mitchell? Did you have to carry a lot of clothes and food? Do you have to qualify at Marion under a certain time or just finish? Do you know of a web site that can answer my questions so I don't wear you out? :eek:

Mish said:
Good. I'll be doing Marion with a double and 39x30. Should be no problem. Then I'll have a year to think about Mitchell. Did you ride lower than a 30x25 at Mitchell? Did you have to carry a lot of clothes and food? Do you have to qualify at Marion under a certain time or just finish? Do you know of a web site that can answer my questions so I don't wear you out? :eek:
The website is here
http://freewheelers.info/assault.html
You can only ride Marion the first year, if Im not mistaken. When I rode, I was dressed appropriately, because it was raining this year. I carried with me 4 gel packs, a Powerbar, two bottles of 50/50 water/gatorate on the bike, and another bottle in my spare back pocket. Seems like alot, I know, but I didnt feel like stopping unless I absolutely had to. My best advice is to overdress, because the weather at the top of the mountain, or even on the Blue Ridge can change drastically in a matter of a few minutes. For Mitchell, I tried to tough it out, but I did find myself hitting the 30x25 on occasion and taking a breather. Its not a race, and I feel like if you can conquer that mountain, youve accomplished something. Oh, another piece of advice, is that they do training rides (I think the info is on the freewheelers site). Get in on one of the first ones, so you can see what youre up against.

cucamelsmd15 said:
The website is here
http://freewheelers.info/assault.html
You can only ride Marion the first year, if Im not mistaken. When I rode, I was dressed appropriately, because it was raining this year. I carried with me 4 gel packs, a Powerbar, two bottles of 50/50 water/gatorate on the bike, and another bottle in my spare back pocket. Seems like alot, I know, but I didnt feel like stopping unless I absolutely had to. My best advice is to overdress, because the weather at the top of the mountain, or even on the Blue Ridge can change drastically in a matter of a few minutes. For Mitchell, I tried to tough it out, but I did find myself hitting the 30x25 on occasion and taking a breather. Its not a race, and I feel like if you can conquer that mountain, youve accomplished something. Oh, another piece of advice, is that they do training rides (I think the info is on the freewheelers site). Get in on one of the first ones, so you can see what youre up against.

Thank you again. I will follow your advice.