Gears/Spinning

alvynmcq

Aug 12, 2005
I am wondering about my gear selection, I have only been out twice this year but i am mainly staying on my middle chainring (its a triple bike), my 2 rides so far i have been averaging about 15mph. Should i be pushing myself to use the bigger ring more.

The reason i ask is because i am planning on changing to a double groupset (veloce 10 speed). My current bike is a fuji ace with sora components. Also was wondering if it is worth me spending the money to move to the 10 speed groupy or should i just hold out for a new bike?

alvynmcq said:
I am wondering about my gear selection, I have only been out twice this year but i am mainly staying on my middle chainring (its a triple bike), my 2 rides so far i have been averaging about 15mph. Should i be pushing myself to use the bigger ring more.
i don't think there's anything wrong with that. I usually stay 90% of the ride in 42t chainring (shift in 52t at 22 mph).

I was also thinking in chainging triple to double (50x34) because 52t is just to big for me.

alvynmcq said:
..................... I have only been out twice this year....................
Also was wondering if it is worth me spending the money to move to the 10 speed groupy or should i just hold out for a new bike?
I'd be doing a few more rides on the old bike.... at that rate it should last you another 20 years:D

vuce said:
i don't think there's anything wrong with that. I usually stay 90% of the ride in 42t chainring (shift in 52t at 22 mph).

I was also thinking in chainging triple to double (50x34) because 52t is just to big for me.
Maybe change 52/42/ for 50/39/....I have a 50/39/30 30 speed ... just the ticket for me!!

Albert 50 said:
Maybe change 52/42/ for 50/39/....I have a 50/39/30 30 speed ... just the ticket for me!!
hmm, it's a good suggestion. Will try, thanks!

I've got a 48/34t double in front and use the 48t big-ring most of the time. Works fine with a 12-24t cluster in the rear. Top-gear's the same as the 'standard' 52x13t 15-years ago and I hardly ever need that, maybe on a 45mph+ downhill. The lower gearing's much more useful for the hills.

If you have hilly terrain close to you, I'd stick with the triple. I find triple gears are fine for very steep, hilly areas. However, if you live in a flat area, the triple won't be much use.

alvynmcq said:

The reason i ask is because i am planning on changing to a double groupset (veloce 10 speed). My current bike is a fuji ace with sora components. Also was wondering if it is worth me spending the money to move to the 10 speed groupy or should i just hold out for a new bike?