gettin the sprint on

Trigurl

Jul 29, 2003
Hi,

I've been training for triathlons since last fall and only started seriously riding my bike since February. However, the more I ride, the more I want to try road racing.. or something along those lines.

I've been riding with a local club during this summer and have become more familiar with the drafting, pacelines, etc. that goes along with riding in a group. I am having a lot of fun and improving a great deal.

Although, where I always fall short is when I ride with the faster groups that tend to make the ride more like a race. I can keep up with the group UNTIL someone sprints ahead and they all go chase him down. I am left hopelessly in their dust.

So, my question: what can I do to improve my sprint? I've heard the stories of people racing the neighbor's dog or chasing down cars, but I don't know if that's something I should try.

I know that if I do enter in any bike races, I will be run down and left behind at any sprints or "kicks" at the end. Since I've only done triathlons where a sprint isn't necessary, I have no idea how to become more powerful at it.

Please leave any suggestions! Thank you!

Michelle

Others may differ w/ this opinion, but here goes...

Spend more time on the bike! 5 months isn't a long time, so I'm impressed that you can hang with a speedy pack. See how things work out after you've put in more miles, ridden more hills, done more sprints, done more intervals.

If your 'jump' is what's weak rather than being able to sustain a higher speed post-sprint, then perhaps strength training would help (i.e., squats). A loooooooooong time ago before I took a 13 year layoff, my problem was reversed -- I could jump ahead easily, but couldn't hold the break. I was a religious squatter and hill climber. Can't be sure that's what helped, though (perhaps it was just youth!).

Although, where I always fall short is when I ride with the faster groups that tend to make the ride more like a race. I can keep up with the group UNTIL someone sprints ahead and they all go chase him down. I am left hopelessly in their dust.

Michelle, from that paragraph I would deduce the rest of the bunch are not sprinting but attempting to bridge the gap to the rider at a higher but not sprint speed. (Maybe it is "sprint" speed to you :))

Sprints are usually and predominantly at the end of a ride unless arranged also at some intermediate distance. This occurs in multi stage races and "primes" in criteriums.

There would be, or should be, no mid training ride sprint unless it has been called with a marker as the object to determine the finish.

You are not alone as a triathalon rider used to steady state riding to find the change of pace or surges hard to master. The further you are towards the rear the more pronounced the surge.

Until you adapt through training and time, it is preferable to be closer to the front to reduce the cumulative effect as the wave of reaction reaches you and be alert to breakaways to anticipate the surge. Getting on the pedal early when you see riders near the front reacting, even if it means temporarily overlapping wheels, will go towards compensating.

Trigurl:

It's good that you are going on faster group rides. It can be intimidating riding with fast men, but you will be a much faster rider by riding in these groups. It's ok to get dropped.

By far the most important thing is that you keep showing up for more and not become dejected by not finishing the ride with the group. Eventually, you will if you stick with it and dig deep.

Attacks are common in road racing, and attacks are what strong riders use to "thin the herd" as you have found out. Weaker riders just fall off the back, never to be seen again. Attacks are highly effective, as only the fittest riders can survive them.

You should do some seated accelerations as part of your normal endurance training. Get to a moderately hard pace and while remaining seated, accelerate as rapidly as possible, increasing cadence 10-15 rpm or several mph, and hold for 10-30 seconds.

Immediately return to your pre-acceleration pace and hold it, just as you would on a group ride. Even though you will be breathing very hard and suffering, keep riding moderately hard for at least a few minutes before you slow down. When you get really fit, you could ride hard AND do 10-15 of these accelerations in a row without having to slow down to recover. You will improve rapidly.

Do 1-3 accelerations twice a week or so on your regular rides. As you get stronger, add more accelerations. It's very important to do the accelerations seated, not standing up.
Practice seated accelerations on hills as part of your normal climbing training as well. After 5-6 of these workouts, you will find that closing a gap is much easier.

Good luck!!!

Just adding to J-Mat's post, the other thing triathletes often seem to miss is that you have to jump across to the wheel as quick as possible.

Getting dropped and trying to time trial back is fruitless, at best you'll maintain the gap, but you'll only catch up if they slow down, which usually is just before someone else attacks. Also, you'll drag other triathlete types across as well (not a concern in training, but when you're racing you don't want to help everyone else have an easy ride.).

In an nutshell, do everything you can to get straight back on the wheel as soon as possible. Once you are there your life will be much easier.

Thanks for all the advice... I'll work hard to get ready to take on the fast guys now -- they don't scare me! :)