Getting back into riding

FootNote

Aug 30, 2013
I was never huge into riding to start with, but I am getting back into it. Just got a new bike. I was looking at riding shirts and I honestly wanted to get a USPS team shirt, but considering I am just planning on being a causual rider, no races or anything, are team shirts taboo? Or is it more like baseball, you wear what you support.

FootNote said:
I was never huge into riding to start with, but I am getting back into it. Just got a new bike. I was looking at riding shirts and I honestly wanted to get a USPS team shirt, but considering I am just planning on being a causual rider, no races or anything, are team shirts taboo? Or is it more like baseball, you wear what you support.
They're not taboo. Cycling fashion is just like regular fashion in that there are highly opinionated and judgmental people, but it's safe to ignore them. Wear what makes you happy, what you want to wear.

you will have to look for them on the internet since chances are that they are not easy to find because that team is long gone, this is a tricky situation because you cannot try it before for fit, cycling apparel sizes vary from one brand to another,

Okay, i really do not see why do you need a professional shirt to ride a bike as an amateur but if it feels good do it man. I myself just wear my own shirts and it was a long time ago when i realized that equipment doesn't matter as much as your will, talent an your readiness to train. Just a simple example, i was running for my high school in a city cross. So all of the high schools participated. When i was younger i played football and i quit before getting in high school. Nevertheless my stamina is something i have in my genes. So, on the start line i saw several guys in the professional shoes with those metal things on they souls of the feet. They looked like they were running professionally and they actually were in the local athletic club. I had my old shoes all torn up. In the end i was third and with few of those guys behind me. So it is really not about that at all. It is good to have some useful gear but it will not help you getting better if you do not have it in you.

I am not a brand time, nor am I into some professional outfits, whatesover, so what I would say here is that I would never opet for a professional shirt or leggings of any sort,especially not for riding by bike as an amateur. One day when you become a professional rider you can and you wear such outfits. However, I also do not thing one should be worried if something is taboo or not. People tend to thing in different ways, and have opinions on everything there is in the world, Different opinions I mean. Therefore, what is a taboo for one, is not a taboo for the other one.
I recommend you decide for yourself. If you want to look a lit bit more professional and pursue in that way, then yes go for it, why not! Sometimes outfit can also motivate you do something, like if I would wear some leggings which are real tight, It will somehow make me desire to work out or cycle, more. Interesting,but true. Just go for it no matter whether people think it is a taboo or not. :)

To be honest I don't really have a problem with what people wear when they're out cycling. What's most important is that a person is comfortable in it, and wether that's a team sky all-in-one or a polo shirt and a pair of shorts, it only matters to the person wearing it.

Honestly I don't think you would stand out too much at all in a team shirt, I see cyclists wearing them all the time.

Also, someone who just sees you riding by isn't going to know whether you're a casual cyclist or not, and if they decide to make judgments on your clothes then chances are they're just looking for something to get prissy about and if it wasn't one thing it would be another.

Some people are just like that and there's nothing you can do about them so it's best to just ignore :)

I have disposed my bike early this year due to an injury on my leg. So many times have I made plans of buying a new bike but I was deterred not only by my husband but also by consequences that made me think that even fate is against my plan. Now it gets me to think of how I would get back to riding. I may have forgotten how to ride because of the long layoff.

Any clothes that makes you feel comfortable should suffice for casual riding. Professional outfits are meant to offer the best perfomance when wearing them.

You do sometimes get the cyclists that think they're better than what they are, it's usually those that have more money than they know what to do with. They'll be sat there with all the most expensive equipment but not have a clue how to use it. 'All the gear but no idea'... you could say.