Getting my bike to Yorktown, VA

zacu1

Mar 28, 2006
The devil is in the details. As my May 18th tour date rapidly approaches, I'm still confounded by how to get my bike to the start of the TransAmerica trail. Starting in Denver Colorado, Amtrak's train route would take me to Chicago, then to D.C., then to Williamsburg, VA where I could ride the rest of the way to Yorktown and the eastern end of the trail. However, I've been informed that the last leg between D.C. and Williamsburg doesn't allow checked baggage, of which my bike would qualify.

I think I could probably talk them into letting my bike on the train for the last leg. I mean, I'm a guy looking to ride across the country starting on his 24th birthday, surely there's a corner of the train to stash a bike for the 4 hour ride. Still, it's a gamble.

I don't want to ship my bike unless I absolutely have to, and I'd rather not deal with the airlines in this endeavor. I was really looking forward to my first long train ride. (this is to be an adventure full of firsts)

I know I could get the bike to Richmond, but that's 60 miles from the start. I suppose I could ride to the ocean from there, but who wants to start their trip logging 60 miles in the wrong direction?

Could I bus it in Richmond? What's Greyhound's policy on bikes? Any other suggestions for getting me and my bike to the Atlantic Ocean?

Thanks in advance, this is one of the final hurdles between me and my first transcontinental tour. =)

-Zach

Good luck and enjoy. I did that trip several years ago with three others. I hope you chose not to ship your bike; I wouldn't want to trust my bike's assembly and adjustment to an unfamiliar LBS when heading out on something this big.

I hope you've sought input and experiences from others who've made the trip on that itinerary. Lots to see, some to skip and much fun to get up each day and ride someplace you've never been before.

The bike is going on a plane with me to Newport News on May 17th. It's not ideal (I really wanted to take a train), but I agree it's better than shipping.

There are still some hoops to jump through. The front rack I bought won't work with the fork on my Specialized Tri-Cross, so my LBS is ordering some alternatives. There's still plenty of gear left to buy, and a never ending string of details to iron out, but it'll all get done. It has to.

Between the volumes on info on this forum and the journals from crazyguyonabike.com, I think I've got a decent notion of what I'm in for. I can't wait to get started. 2 weeks from today!!!