Getting back on two wheels again.

dbvanhorn

Feb 19, 2014
I had this all typed out Sunday, and my browser crashed before I hit save.. :p

Anyway, I'm back on two wheels again, bought a diamondback at REI a couple weeks ago. I've ridden to work, which is 4mi each way, and a couple of fun hills.
As the weather improves, I'll be biking to work more often. I have been wanting to do this for a long time, but the previous job had some very hairy stretches of road where it was narrow, fast (for cars) and no bike lane or shoulder. So I decided I wasn't going to risk that one. The new job has sidewalks (legal to ride here) and bike lanes most of the way.

Sundays ride was a long hill, basically 4mi of steady significant incline. I almost wimped out but I figured that I don't have to get there fast, I just have to not give up.
Heart rate 140-160. I don't know how much delta in altitude, but it's not trivial.

I started off on weight loss in December, using Met-RX bars for most meals, three a day. Dr and Nutritionist approve. Was 265#, now 238, and following my planned burn-down line to my goal at 180#.

PS: Just found out, it's about 350' vertical, 5203-5556'

Good luck! Sounds like you have a good grasp of what you need to do, and how to get there. Keep at it, enjoy the ride!