Getting new bike, need help!

cmonan

Apr 26, 2010
Hello I am currently browsing the market for new road bikes and was hoping for some insight from some more experienced riders. There are about three that I am looking at, but the price cap is around $2600, so if there is a better one for around that price please don't hesitate to suggest it to this buyer :)

My goals: I have been riding for about 2 years, and currently ride a dinosaur, my dad's late 80s Cannondale. I consider myself a novice, but it's only because I don't have any races under my belt yet, but plan to start. I also might be doing some sprint triathlons, but I think I'd be better fit on a road bike. I ride often and need a new bike really bad.

Choices: Giant TCR Advanced, Gary Fisher Cronus, and Felt AR5 or F4(not first choice, but a bike is an investment, so considering...)

I would be very grateful for input, anyone who has riden, owned, or just plain knows :)

Thanks again!

cmonan said:
Choices: Giant TCR Advanced, Gary Fisher Cronus, and Felt AR5 or F4(not first choice, but a bike is an investment, so considering...)
What do you mean by "a bike is an investment?"

These are all fine bikes. The position on the TCR and F4, with their shorter head tubes, is a little more aggressive. Gary Fisher put a lot of work into the the handling of the Cronus. If you end up with that one, I'd be interested in your impressions after you've had it for a while. Which one to buy, though? The one that fits the best, the one that turns you on, the one that disappears under you.

oldbobcat said:

These are all fine bikes. The position on the TCR and F4, with their shorter head tubes, is a little more aggressive. Gary Fisher put a lot of work into the the handling of the Cronus. If you end up with that one, I'd be interested in your impressions after you've had it for a while. Which one to buy, though? The one that fits the best, the one that turns you on, the one that disappears under you.

meaning if that one is quite a bit better, i would be willing to save a little longer to go over my price range

oldbobcat said:

I just bought a Gary Fisher Cronus a few weeks ago after much research and consideration. I LOVE it. This is my first road bike, and I am very happy with it, but don't have too much to compare it to. Light, quick and responsive!

Samara00 said:
I just bought a Gary Fisher Cronus a few weeks ago after much research and consideration.
Glad to hear you like it. The Cronus is a bit unusual in that the designers seem to have put more work than anybody else into the way the bike steers.