getting rid of freewheel click?

astroluc

Jun 20, 2005
forgive what is probably going to sound like a noob thread, but...

Why do some freewheels click, and others do not? why are some louder than others? Can I get rid of/reduce the click coming from my freewheel??

the reason I ask is this; I have recently purchased a new wheelset and the rear hub/ freewheel is very loud compared to my older one, yet the new set is a much nicer set than my orig... so what's up? isn't loud annoying, or do some people like that kind of incessant ticking?

all help appreciated

astroluc said:

Why do some freewheels click, and others do not? why are some louder than others? Can I get rid of/reduce the click coming from my freewheel??

the reason I ask is this; I have recently purchased a new wheelset and the rear hub/ freewheel is very loud compared to my older one, yet the new set is a much nicer set than my orig... so what's up? isn't loud annoying, or do some people like that kind of incessant ticking?

all help appreciated
How about you just keep peddaling so it cannot click :):D

astroluc said:
Can I get rid of/reduce the click coming from my freewheel??
Not really unless you want to replace the entire mechanism.

Don't worry about the clicking. Some very high end wheels are very loud.

i have a pair of american classic carbon and mavic cosmic carbone and both click very loud.

In theory you could rip out the freehub assembly and replace it with a clutch bearing. It would be silent, but it would also engage a lot more slowly. I like to use my extra loud Campy hubs to wake people up on the bike path. It's like a hands free bell.:)

artmichalek said:
I like to use my extra loud Campy hubs to wake people up on the bike path. It's like a hands free bell.:)
I also like loud freewheels. Just something about em. :cool:

The clicking is caused by the spring loaded pawls in the freehub. As the wheel turns and you are not pedaling (the cogs are not rotating) the wheel hub continues to turn moving the rachet under the pawls.

Shimano makes "silent clutch" freehubs that work with their silent clutch wheel hubs, but you'd have to get your rear wheel rebuilt...

Harris has them here:
http://harriscyclery.net/site/showitem.cfm?Category=122&searchtype=Category&Catalog=39

TD

artmichalek said:
I like to use my extra loud Campy hubs to wake people up on the bike path. It's like a hands free bell.:)
You know... now that you mention it I have noticed many more people (other riders, pedestrians) turning around as I advance upon them. I'll keep this in mind! I guess I'll just get used to it; they are still new, after all :D

FastFly said:
How about you just keep peddaling so it cannot click :):D
hey, I gotta get a drink sometime ;) :D

FIX your problem....

If that didnt make sense, get a fixed gear.

Otherwise, pack it full of grease, that makes it pretty quite, for a while, you would just have to repack often.

KikyoMerc said:
FIX your problem....

If that didnt make sense, get a fixed gear.

Otherwise, pack it full of grease, that makes it pretty quite, for a while, you would just have to repack often.
oh, I got ya in the first sentence ;) ... after the fashion of a reply artmichalek made, I'll just consider the ticking my "On Your Right" early warning call. :D

With the seals on the later freewheels & cassettes, you have to remove the outer cover in order to pack it with grease. Don't use anything heavy, light lithium grease will be fine. Then re-install cover.

In some cases with older freewheels without seals, you can drip heavy-oil into them and it quiets them down significantly. Tranny oil 85-90w works well. :)

astroluc said:

all help appreciated
I love the sound and know a lot of folks who do.