Getting Water out of rims

supergrill

Feb 24, 2004
While cleaning up my ride after getting caught in a nasty rain storm, I noticed a sloshing sound from water apparently collected inside the hollow sections of the rims. Talking with some of the other riders this seems to be a common problem particuarly with deep section rims where there are large voids and several ounces can accumulate. Are there any secret tips for getting this water out easily & quickly? Even after deflating the tire and loosening the bead, it takes some effort to drain it out.

Originally posted by supergrill
While cleaning up my ride after getting caught in a nasty rain storm, I noticed a sloshing sound from water apparently collected inside the hollow sections of the rims. Talking with some of the other riders this seems to be a common problem particuarly with deep section rims where there are large voids and several ounces can accumulate. Are there any secret tips for getting this water out easily & quickly? Even after deflating the tire and loosening the bead, it takes some effort to drain it out.

Totally remove tire and tube. Drain out through the valve hole.
Rotate, shake, bounce, and towel out/off anything that remains.

Originally posted by daveornee
Totally remove tire and tube. Drain out through the valve hole.
Rotate, shake, bounce, and towel out/off anything that remains.

Thanks. I was just hoping that it wouldn't be such a pain in the a..

na, it is a pain in the ass.

You might even have to take the rim tape off

Originally posted by nutbag
na, it is a pain in the ass.

You might even have to take the rim tape off

No might. Turn the tire inside out, take the rim tape off and leave overnight.

Originally posted by Weisse Luft
No "might". Turn the tire inside out, take the rim tape off and leave overnight.

Yeah, it can get ugly in there with the possibility of eyelets and nipples rusting

Originally posted by supergrill

I have a set of open pro's that will always get water in the rim after riding in the rain. What I always do afterwards is let all the air out of the tire, and put lots of newspaper in my wet shoes. Usually by the next day all the water will have evaporated out of the rim and the newspaper soaked all the water out of my shoes -trust me...it works!!