Giant NRS 1 wooo...

"FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> | I'm inclined to put the NRS firmly in the XC category. Sure, it can
take
> | the knocks but other bikes have more travel and are designed to to take harder hits. I wonder if
> | your urban riding and stair-jumping might not require something a little more robust and with a
> | bit more suspension travel?
> |

> I've a 2002 NRS Air and although it's obviously built as a XC racing bike I've taken it through
> some pretty hard hits. Mine's handled 6' drops with
no
> problems (I usually weigh about 180) as long as the sus is dialed in for
it,
> same with flights of stairs. It's a sturdy bike and after two friends saw what I put mine through
> they decided to get themselves one as well. So far everyone is happy with the choice.
>
> The NRS Air I've got has mostly stock components. (RC SID sus, f/r. XTR comps. Etc.)
>
> --
> FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com
> --

I totally agree about the NRS's being able to handle the big hits. Mines taken a thrashing or two
too. But if urban free-riding is flyingcowbells thing, why buy and use a XC bike for it? Why not get
a freeride bike?

Since I'm a Giant fan, how about the AC1 or AC2 as an option? They're a relatively sane Freeride
bike. They'll handle bigger, tougher stuff than the NRS's but they aren't built like an extreme
'Extreme' bike. I haven't any experience or knowledge with them unfortunately.

Westie

Folks,

After some head scratching and bean counting, I took the plunge and brought a Specialized Enduro.
Now the weakest link is the rider :D

Bill.

"Darsh" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:iPE_9.107928$rM2.50122@rwcrnsc53...

I wrote:
> [...]
Cable
> days/weeks/months

Then Darsh, (I think)

> Don't know if this clarifies something. I am no professor. I only have experience and opinion to
> base my findings upon.
>
> I install a new cable and ride about 50 feet down the road shifting like mad, stressing the cable.
> It does not take much to stretch the perfectly adjusted, pre-stretched cable to the point of out
> of adjustment shifting.
>
> Sometimes I repeat the shifting procedure twice. I then adjust, and the shifting stays where I
> want it.
>
> Taking a bike off the rack, riding it on a test and experiencing shifting problems, seems to me a
> very common experience.
>
> "So, how did you like it?"
>
> "Well if felt OK, but it didn't shift very well."
>
> "Yea, that is just cable stretch, it happens with new cables. We'll set
you
> up with a free 30-day tune-up to correct that after the cables settle in."
>
> What bike mechanic/salesman has not had a similar conversation?
>
> darsh

All I was trying to say, and perhaps poorly, was that I do not believe that the ghost shifting which
the original poster was complaining about was caused by cable stretch, and I still believe that. He
seemed to indicate that the ghost shifting occured when the rear suspension activated, and only
then. This is not a symptom of cable stretch.
--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

"flyingcowbells" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Folks,
>
> After some head scratching and bean counting, I took the plunge and brought a Specialized Enduro.
> Now the weakest link is the rider :D

Have fun - and send us a ride report or two!

Westie :)

> All I was trying to say, and perhaps poorly, was that I do not believe that the ghost shifting
> which the original poster was complaining about was caused by cable stretch, and I still believe
> that. He seemed to indicate that the ghost shifting occured when the rear suspension activated,
> and only then. This is not a symptom of cable stretch.

You're right, the guys at the LBS kept on adjusting about 3 times. Even took a ride himself.
Couldn't get rid of that. It just changes the problem from one combination of the gears to the next.
Finally gave up and told me there's some combination of gears I shouldn't be
in. (Ipersonally think it's bs cause it didn't happen on my old bike nor the other shiny new bikes
I demoed). Mind you, it's not a very big deal but when you pay this sort of money, you'd
think the gears should be smoother.

[email protected] (flyingcowbells) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi all,
>
> I've just test rode a Giant NRS1, really liked it... Except the rear deraileur kept on shifting
> gears in the medium to low gear when I applied a good amount of torque when going up hill.
> (although the folks at LBS says it's probably the cable stretching when new. I also test rode a
> Specialized Epic. More expensive but I didn't really like the feel of it. Although I must say I
> tested it in the urban environment but did jump a few stacks of stairs and other more interesting
> obstacles. on that day I also tried an NRS2. Didn't liked it at all (should I say cable disk
> brakes sucks :p).
>
> Anyhow, I plan to get the NRS1, any of you folks have any comments?
>
> Ta!
>
> Bill.

I would like to be able to tell you without a doubt to jump on the NRS1...last year after much
research and debate i choose the NRS1 for my return to mountain biking. Since my purchase I have had
issues with the drivetrain...under hard climbing or other heavy torque the drivetrain would slip and
running 2-9 was impossible. The LBS made some adjustments with no luck. After debating the issue
with a friend we swapped the chain with a SRAM and installed a adjustable chain line bottom
bracket...raceface xs113(Factory BB was faulty). Now the drivetrain is smooth shifting fun with full
use of 2-9 however I have lost use of the granny gear, a fair trade for a functional ride! Seem to
remember this drivetain issue was discussed in the tech.mountainbike group-check it out. I suggest
being up front with the LBS-regarding this issue, as this appears to be a common issue with the NRS
drivetrain. Best of luck Eric

"Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]... <snip>
> "Can I really afford this?" and " If I spend another $500 will I kick myself in six months time
> for NOT spending it?"
<snip>
> Westie

I had a problem like this where I didn't spend ENOUGH on the bike, and HATED THE BIKE from day one

I'd had the option of a steel frame, or alloy frame, at only a $150 difference, on an otherwise
identical bike.

I was just not sure of the limit on the Credit Card at the time, and as I was buying 2 bikes at the
time, one for my wife, and one for myself, I was reluctant to go that extra $150. Compounded by the
comments from the wife about what we were spending at the time.

I regretted from then on that I hadn't spent the extra. I found I had plenty on the CC after all,
and it wasn't going to be owing for long anyway as I intended to pay it off with a tax return.

But I found that despite the bike being an excellent bike, and one I wish I still had now, I just
couldn't really like the bike because it wasn't the one I wanted. Had I spent that lousy extra $150
at the time, I'd have probably really enjoyed riding a lot sooner. In the end, almost like a jilted
lover on the rebound, I very soon went out and blew almost TWICE what it would have cost to buy that
alloy version, on an alloy bike I now love but have some sense of guilt over the cost of. Buying on
the rebound - doesn't work in love or cycling.

Though having spent twice what I would have, I must admit I also have twice the bike I would have,
and guilt trip aside, I can't even begin to compare the two. This is a VASTLY superior bike, I just
sometimes feel that I spent more than I should have. Especially as I've since DOUBLED THAT COST
AGAIN with upgrades to it such as: New forks (I broke the originals), clipless pedals + cleat shoes,
trip computer, better seat (almost one fifteenth the original cost went just on the seat FCOL),
better tyres, lights, etc. Still to come, better front derailleur, possibly also better Rear
derailleur, and rear disk brakes. Though to put these on the bike, I'll just buy a whole bike with
them on it, and cannibalise the parts I want, then sell off what I don't need. Otherwise just
setting myself up for rear disks alone could cost almost as much as the bike I'd buy with them
already on. But this is another tax return project.

Buy the best you can afford, and buy the one you want the most, otherwise you'll regret it either
way. Too little, or too much.

Trentus

FlyingCoyote wrote:

> "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <"keep it in the newsgroup "@thankyou.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> | One of my riding buddies has had great fun with his, including some 4-6 foot drops. He's 6'6"
> | 250! <G>
> |
> | I've got a VT1 on order!
> |
> | Barry
>
> Holy moly. Ok, so despite my praise of the Giant NRS I think I would really have to think hard
> about taking a 6' if I were 6'6" and 250lbs! At least with the stock SIDS mine came with.
>
> Eesh.
>
> What suspension is he using?
>
> --
> FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com
> --

Stock rear, Psylo front. He rode it all last season and continues.

Barry

"flyingcowbells" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > All I was trying to say, and perhaps poorly, was that I do not believe
that
> > the ghost shifting which the original poster was complaining about was caused by cable stretch,
> > and I still believe that. He seemed to indicate that the ghost shifting occured when the rear
> > suspension activated, and
only
> > then. This is not a symptom of cable stretch.
>
> You're right, the guys at the LBS kept on adjusting about 3 times. Even took a ride himself.
> Couldn't get rid of that. It just changes the problem from one combination of the gears to the
> next. Finally gave up and told me there's some combination of gears I shouldn't be
> in. (Ipersonally think it's bs cause it didn't happen on my old bike nor the other shiny new
> bikes I demoed). Mind you, it's not a very big deal but when you pay this sort of money,
> you'd think the gears should be smoother.

Based just on your accounts alone, I would be a bit skeptical of this shop, or at least this
particular "salesman". Like most have said, ghost shifting can be a design flaw, but more than
likly a poor build. He just wants to sell you a bike, for any kind of cash you need someone you
can count on.
--

On 2 Feb 2003 04:03:27 -0800, [email protected] (flyingcowbells) wrote:

>Folks,
>
>After some head scratching and bean counting, I took the plunge and brought a Specialized Enduro.
>Now the weakest link is the rider :D

I love mine. The rider thing can be improved in my case as well. :eek:)

I flipped the link to the long travel position and I think I like it better that way.

>Bill.
>> Some Giant NRS's (2002's mostly?) have had a problem with ghost shifting due to flex in the
>> seatstay. I've had no problems with mine at all.
>>
>> Check out http://www.angryasian.com/main.cfm and scroll towards the bottom for "Nov. 7, 2002
>> 8:24:41 AM Attn: all Giant NRS owners!!!"
>>
>> If the bike is new, there shouldn't be much cable stretch yet and of there is, I'd think the shop
>> would make the appropriate adjustments if they really planned on trying to sell it. It's bad
>> practice to let someone test ride a bike that doesn't work properly.

Ok...............here goes

I bought a 2002 Giant NRS1 last year. Had nothing but problems with ghost shifting etc. My bike shop replaced the whole drive train trying to figure out why the bike was shifting under hard load. They finally called Giant and Giant took my bike back and gave me a new one after a year! Now I have a 2003 NRS1. I heard they took care of some of the ghost shifting issues by changing the bottom bracket. The other day I rode it for the first time and it skipped under heavy load. I know the cables need to stretch etc........but I am concerned anyway.

I think I read on another message board that one good thing to do is remove 2 links from the chain. I did that and there was no skipping today. I was just outside cleaning my chain, taking it through the gears. I noticed when I was on the big ring up front and big ring out back the derailer was totally stretched out, more than normally. Now I am sorry I removed the links! Did I do the right thing or should I run out and get a new chain in fear of wreaking my derailer!?? Sorry so long, I want to hear everyone's thoughts............

"Tirespin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I noticed when I was on the big ring up front and big ring out back the derailer was totally
> stretched out, more than normally.

Don't do that.

> Now I am sorry I removed the links! Did I do the right thing or should I run out and get a new
> chain in fear of wreaking my derailer!?? Sorry so long, I want to hear everyone's
> thoughts............

Leave the chain, just don't use that gear combo.

> I think I read on another message board that one good thing to do is remove 2 links from the
> chain. I did that and there was no skipping today. I was just outside cleaning my chain, taking it
> through the gears. I noticed when I was on the big ring up front and big ring out back the
> derailer was totally stretched out, more than normally. Now I am sorry I removed the links! Did I
> do the right thing or should I run out and get a new chain in fear of wreaking my derailer!??
> Sorry so long, I want to hear everyone's thoughts............

Avoid switching into that combo of gears.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

"Tirespin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Ok...............here goes
>
> I bought a 2002 Giant NRS1 last year. Had nothing but problems with ghost shifting etc. My bike
> shop replaced the whole drive train trying to figure out why the bike was shifting under hard
> load. They finally called Giant and Giant took my bike back and gave me a new one after a year!
> Now I have a 2003 NRS1. I heard they took care of some of the ghost shifting issues by changing
> the bottom bracket. The other day I rode it for the first time and it skipped under heavy load. I
> know the cables need to stretch etc........but I am concerned anyway.
>
> I think I read on another message board that one good thing to do is remove 2 links from the
> chain. I did that and there was no skipping today. I was just outside cleaning my chain, taking it
> through the gears. I noticed when I was on the big ring up front and big ring out back the
> derailer was totally stretched out, more than normally. Now I am sorry I removed the links! Did I
> do the right thing or should I run out and get a new chain in fear of wreaking my derailer!??
> Sorry so long, I want to hear everyone's thoughts............

Relax, gear hopper.

First of all, you should never ride in the "big-big" ring combo. That's called "cross-chaining", and
puts a ton of stress on your components.

It *is* a good idea, however, to leave the chain just long enough to allow what you describe (the
derailleur stretched out nearly straight), as the alternative means jamming up the works (and
breaking things under load).

If indeed your ghost-shifting/skipping problems have been resolved by removing a couple of links, go
forth and ride that bike happily from now on (or at least until the next crisis arises :)

Bill "veteran of numerous drivetrain issues over years" S.

"Tirespin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> good advice but do you think that taking out the 2 links will help with anything?

Ghost shifting is an odd beast. If the derailleur was sloppy (which shouldn't be the case) then
maybe the removal of links solved the problem. OTOH, I ride a hardtail with occasional ghost
shifting (not just under load) but it doesn't bother me too much.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Tirespin wrote:
> Ok...............here goes
>
> I bought a 2002 Giant NRS1 last year. Had nothing but problems with ghost shifting etc. My bike
> shop replaced the whole drive train trying to figure out why the bike was shifting under hard
> load. They finally called Giant and Giant took my bike back and gave me a new one after a year!
> Now I have a 2003 NRS1. I heard they took care of some of the ghost shifting issues by changing
> the bottom bracket. The other day I rode it for the first time and it skipped under heavy load. I
> know the cables need to stretch etc........but I am concerned anyway.

Don't be too concerned. If I remember correctly, many of the 2001 models had a slightly crooked bb
which wreaked havoc on shifting. One skip is not necessarily something to start worrying about.

"Tirespin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Ok...............here goes
>
> I bought a 2002 Giant NRS1 last year. Had nothing but problems with ghost shifting etc. My bike
> shop replaced the whole drive train trying to figure out why the bike was shifting under hard
> load. They finally called Giant and Giant took my bike back and gave me a new one after a year!
> Now I have a 2003 NRS1. I heard they took care of some of the ghost shifting issues by changing
> the bottom bracket. The other day I rode it for the first time and it skipped under heavy load. I
> know the cables need to stretch etc........but I am concerned anyway.
>
> I think I read on another message board that one good thing to do is remove 2 links from the
> chain. I did that and there was no skipping today. I was just outside cleaning my chain, taking it
> through the gears. I noticed when I was on the big ring up front and big ring out back the
> derailer was totally stretched out, more than normally. Now I am sorry I removed the links! Did I
> do the right thing or should I run out and get a new chain in fear of wreaking my derailer!??
> Sorry so long, I want to hear everyone's thoughts............

I've heard that Giant takes care of their dealers/customers. My LBS owner says they are the best
company to deal with in the bike world.

How much do you weigh? I've known heavier riders to have ghost shifting issues due to frame flex.

Removing the link is good if it helps. Shouldn't tear anything up...at least if it's going to, you
will hear it before it happens. But I'm guessing you will still have the issue.

Originally posted by Iggy Peuterbaug
"Tirespin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Ok...............here goes
>
> I bought a 2002 Giant NRS1 last year. Had nothing but problems with ghost shifting etc. My bike
> shop replaced the whole drive train trying to figure out why the bike was shifting under hard
> load. They finally called Giant and Giant took my bike back and gave me a new one after a year!
> Now I have a 2003 NRS1. I heard they took care of some of the ghost shifting issues by changing
> the bottom bracket. The other day I rode it for the first time and it skipped under heavy load. I
> know the cables need to stretch etc........but I am concerned anyway.
>
> I think I read on another message board that one good thing to do is remove 2 links from the
> chain. I did that and there was no skipping today. I was just outside cleaning my chain, taking it
> through the gears. I noticed when I was on the big ring up front and big ring out back the
> derailer was totally stretched out, more than normally. Now I am sorry I removed the links! Did I
> do the right thing or should I run out and get a new chain in fear of wreaking my derailer!??
> Sorry so long, I want to hear everyone's thoughts............

Ok..........update

Has not starting Ghost shifting until now. I took my bike in for it's first tune up and now it ghost shifts under heavy load. I know my bike (Giant NRS 1) had many frame flex issues and misalined bottom bracket back in 2001-02 but some of the issues were taken care of in 2003. It seems like it just needs an adjustment........but why the heck would it START ghost shifting after a good tune up? I hate taking my bike back, see this is my second NRS1. I had a 2002 NRS 1 with bent BB. They changed out the whole drive train on old bike. Giant gave me a new one because nothing would fix old bike. I just am tired of taking my bike in. Is there some adjustments I can make? Should I take to another bike shop?

Carl