Go Simon Go!! - The result

Andrew

Guest
Conditions were a bit windy tonight
Alison and I were out warming up on the course and Simon was off number 2
and passed us looking very stylish and fast, nice low tuck, yellow cap
adding a touch of class to the outfit - Alison commented that he looked
smooth and fast
When we passed him on the turn he acknowledged us but didn't wave this time,
saving those precious seconds - the boy was on a mission
A nasty headwind on the way back slowed a lot of people down but Simon
rolled on looking smooth

At the finish, times were read out, I didn't hear Simons time but I did hear
the phrase "Bugger" waft across the group

People of uk.rec.cycling - you didn't try hard enough, there was not enough
will power from the group

30 mins 6 secs

Simon, come out with me for a few interval sessions and we will wipe those 6
seconds of the map!

"Andrew" <[email protected]>typed

> Conditions were a bit windy tonight
> Alison and I were out warming up on the course and Simon was off number 2
> and passed us looking very stylish and fast, nice low tuck, yellow cap
> adding a touch of class to the outfit - Alison commented that he looked
> smooth and fast
> When we passed him on the turn he acknowledged us but didn't wave this time,
> saving those precious seconds - the boy was on a mission
> A nasty headwind on the way back slowed a lot of people down but Simon
> rolled on looking smooth

> At the finish, times were read out, I didn't hear Simons time but I did hear
> the phrase "Bugger" waft across the group

> People of uk.rec.cycling - you didn't try hard enough, there was not enough
> will power from the group

> 30 mins 6 secs

> Simon, come out with me for a few interval sessions and we will wipe those 6
> seconds of the map!

I did a 10 mile TT 10 years ago.
30 min, 2 seconds.

There was a lorry on the roundabout on the turn. I'd rather be alive...

I never bettered that time...

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

"Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> People of uk.rec.cycling - you didn't try hard enough, there was not
> enough
> will power from the group
>
> 30 mins 6 secs

Not bad Simon, not bad.

Cheers, helen s

> 30 mins 6 secs

Well done. Now you know that on a still day you could do it..

...d

wafflycat wrote:

> > 30 mins 6 secs
> >

> Not bad Simon, not bad.

Compared to whom ;-)

John B

Andrew wrote:

> 30 mins 6 secs
>
> Simon, come out with me for a few interval sessions and we will wipe those 6
> seconds of the map!

A good time.
Now look for a course with some more caravans and lorries ;-)

John B

JohnB wrote:
> wafflycat wrote:
>
> > > 30 mins 6 secs

> > Not bad Simon, not bad.

> Compared to whom ;-)

Compared to himself, of course. The Race of Truth is against oneself as
much as the other riders. A PB is a significant achievement, but in
this case his satisfaction is marred by the narrowness of his failure
to achieve what is after all a purely arbitrary number. His average
speed was less than 67 thousandths of a mph slower than he wanted it to
be, and if he keeps plugging at it he'll certainly get there. An
improvement of only 1 mph will take him into the long 28s. I'm sure
he'll clock 28 something before too long.

Yes, I did note the smiley. :)

--
Dave...

dkahn400 wrote:
> JohnB wrote:

> > > Not bad Simon, not bad.

> > Compared to whom ;-)

> Compared to himself, of course. The Race of Truth is against oneself as
> much as the other riders.

one 'truth' hit me at the age of 40; the fact that I was never going
to make vet standard time. A tried and tested way of sorting the wheat
from the chaff.

in message <[email protected]>,
dkahn400 ('[email protected]') wrote:

> JohnB wrote:

>> > Not bad Simon, not bad.

>> Compared to whom ;-)

> Compared to himself, of course. The Race of Truth is against oneself as
> much as the other riders.

True. More so, in fact.

> A PB is a significant achievement, but in
> this case his satisfaction is marred by the narrowness of his failure
> to achieve what is after all a purely arbitrary number. His average
> speed was less than 67 thousandths of a mph slower than he wanted it to
> be

Well, my times for that course for this year are as follows:

Apr 12, 2005 Simon Brooke 34:25
Apr 26, 2005 Simon Brooke 32:45
May 17, 2005 Simon Brooke 32:23
May 31, 2005 Simon Brooke 31:29
Jun 14, 2005 Simon Brooke 31:22
Jul 12, 2005 Simon Brooke 30:32
Aug 9, 2005 Simon Brooke 30:06

See
<URL:http://www.stewartry-wheelers.org/wheelers/resultsearch?team=1&start=Craignair%20Bridge>

My previous personal best was 32:26, so every ride this year I've
improved my time, and every ride since the 17th May I've set a new
personal best. It's just that

(i) Thirty minutes is now /so/ /close/, and
(ii) I'd really like to do thirty minutes before my fiftieth birthday,
which is getting close, and
(iii) certain soi-disant friends of mine have been winding me up
something rotten - whilst drinking my whisky!

Yesterday there seemed a very good chance of doing it, and I /just/
missed it - by 0.3%, and, you know, that's very frustrating. The
Craignair Bridge course is of our courses, the one I find easiest. It's
pretty nearly flat with only two small hills, as compared to our Borgue
course which starts straight up a bloody big one. We'll have at most two
or three more cracks at the Craignair course before my birthday.

> and if he keeps plugging at it he'll certainly get there. An
> improvement of only 1 mph will take him into the long 28s. I'm sure
> he'll clock 28 something before too long.

Why, thank you kind sir.

;; lovely alternative to rice.

in message <[email protected]>,
MartinM ('[email protected]') wrote:

> dkahn400 wrote:
>>
>> Compared to himself, of course. The Race of Truth is against oneself
>> as much as the other riders.

> one 'truth' hit me at the age of 40; the fact that I was never going
> to make vet standard time. A tried and tested way of sorting the wheat
> from the chaff.

What is 'vet standard time'?

;; I'll have a proper rant later, when I get the time.

Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:

> Yesterday there seemed a very good chance of doing it, and I /just/
> missed it

It's always the worst when you get so close to change the minute isn't it?
It's totally arbitary of course, but it gets me everytime as well!

> course which starts straight up a bloody big one. We'll have at most two
> or three more cracks at the Craignair course before my birthday.

Then I'd expect you to go under 30 mins before your birthday then.

Good luck!

Arthur

The struggle of people against power is the struggle
of memory against forgetting - Milan Kundera

Simon Brooke wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>,
> MartinM ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
> > dkahn400 wrote:
> >>
> >> Compared to himself, of course. The Race of Truth is against oneself
> >> as much as the other riders.

> > one 'truth' hit me at the age of 40; the fact that I was never going
> > to make vet standard time. A tried and tested way of sorting the wheat
> > from the chaff.

> What is 'vet standard time'?

Hmm, you're asking now,from memory I think it's an average time that
riders do once over the age of 40; starts at 1.06.30 for a 25 at the
age of 40 IIRC and increases by 30s every year of age or therabouts;
www.rttc.org.uk should have it all. Most if not all TT's have a prize
for the vet who beats his/her standard time by the biggest margin.
Just to rub it in they often write the minus times (ie mine) in red in
the finish board. Watching my time go up in red was enough to convince
me to move on. But a lot of riders love it and more power to them; to
beat a PB is a great feeling, even though I only did it twice.

> What is 'vet standard time'?

Something which one requires a doctorate in quantum mechanics to understand
;-)

The details are, IIRC correctly online at www.ctt.org.uk under
rider/officials' info and then veterans' target times.

Cheers, helen s

MartinM wrote:

> Simon Brooke wrote:

> > What is 'vet standard time'?

> Hmm, you're asking now,from memory I think it's an average time that
> riders do once over the age of 40; starts at 1.06.30 for a 25 at the
> age of 40 IIRC and increases by 30s every year of age or therabouts;
> www.rttc.org.uk should have it all.

Or even the vtta as here:

http://www.vtta.org.uk/standard.html

It seems a 50 year old should be aiming to beat 27mins 33 secs.

There are even Standards for 109 year old riders :-0

I knew TT's were mainly for riders 'getting on a bit in years' but
....109 ...I mean...
Blimey.

John B

"wafflycat" <waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> The details are, IIRC correctly online at www.ctt.org.uk under
> rider/officials' info and then veterans' target times.

At what level do the drug rules come into effect? I do find it amusing that
I would need a note from my GP in order to ride a TT - when would this be
necessary?

(not that I'm likely to)

cheers,
clive

"Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> At what level do the drug rules come into effect? I do find it amusing
> that I would need a note from my GP in order to ride a TT - when would
> this be necessary?
>
> (not that I'm likely to)
>
> cheers,
> clive

The UCI rules on banned substances apply to TT-ing, period, no matter what
level. The rules as regards a medical note from doctor are clear. I use an
inhaler periodically, so yes, even at my pathetically poor level of TT-ing,
I duly got a note from GP and lodged it with BCF. One has to set a good
example to one's offspring! I've made our GP aware of Nathan's sporting
interest and of where the UCI rules can be obtained. I asked that a note be
put on Nathan's records that if he requires any medical treatment, the
prescribing doc needs to know of the cycling situation and bear that in
mind.

Cheers, helen s

Clive George wrote:

> At what level do the drug rules come into effect?

As soon as you enter an event where the organising body has rules
relating to drugs.

> I do find it amusing that
> I would need a note from my GP in order to ride a TT - when would this be
> necessary?

Doctors' notes are a bit of a joke within cycling circles, given those
that suddenly appear when cheats are caught.
"The EPO was for my aunt's sick dog" and similar excuses come to mind.

John B

"JohnB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Clive George wrote:
>
>> At what level do the drug rules come into effect?

> As soon as you enter an event where the organising body has rules
> relating to drugs.

Oh well. I'm not going to bother my GP for the sake of a TT. Should I do
one, I'd probably not bother declaring my drug use - it's not as if I'm fast
enough for people to worry about.

Fortunately it seems trailquest people don't worry quite so much.

cheers,
clive

in message <[email protected]>, "wafflycat"
<waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk> ('') wrote:

> "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

>> What is 'vet standard time'?
>>

> Something which one requires a doctorate in quantum mechanics to
> understand ;-)
>
> The details are, IIRC correctly online at www.ctt.org.uk under
> rider/officials' info and then veterans' target times.

49 -> 00:26:42

Hah! Nae chance!

;; "If I were a Microsoft Public Relations person, I would probably
;; be sobbing on a desk right now" -- Rob Miller, editor, /.