Go Simon Go!! - The result

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Andrew, Aug 9, 2005.

  1. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Conditions were a bit windy tonight
    Alison and I were out warming up on the course and Simon was off number 2
    and passed us looking very stylish and fast, nice low tuck, yellow cap
    adding a touch of class to the outfit - Alison commented that he looked
    smooth and fast
    When we passed him on the turn he acknowledged us but didn't wave this time,
    saving those precious seconds - the boy was on a mission
    A nasty headwind on the way back slowed a lot of people down but Simon
    rolled on looking smooth

    At the finish, times were read out, I didn't hear Simons time but I did hear
    the phrase "Bugger" waft across the group

    People of uk.rec.cycling - you didn't try hard enough, there was not enough
    will power from the group

    30 mins 6 secs

    Simon, come out with me for a few interval sessions and we will wipe those 6
    seconds of the map!

    Tags:

  2. "Andrew" <[email protected]>typed

    > Conditions were a bit windy tonight
    > Alison and I were out warming up on the course and Simon was off number 2
    > and passed us looking very stylish and fast, nice low tuck, yellow cap
    > adding a touch of class to the outfit - Alison commented that he looked
    > smooth and fast
    > When we passed him on the turn he acknowledged us but didn't wave this time,
    > saving those precious seconds - the boy was on a mission
    > A nasty headwind on the way back slowed a lot of people down but Simon
    > rolled on looking smooth

    > At the finish, times were read out, I didn't hear Simons time but I did hear
    > the phrase "Bugger" waft across the group

    > People of uk.rec.cycling - you didn't try hard enough, there was not enough
    > will power from the group

    > 30 mins 6 secs

    > Simon, come out with me for a few interval sessions and we will wipe those 6
    > seconds of the map!

    I did a 10 mile TT 10 years ago.
    30 min, 2 seconds.

    There was a lorry on the roundabout on the turn. I'd rather be alive...

    I never bettered that time...

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
    Edgware.

  3. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > People of uk.rec.cycling - you didn't try hard enough, there was not
    > enough
    > will power from the group
    >
    > 30 mins 6 secs

    Not bad Simon, not bad.

    Cheers, helen s

  4. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    > 30 mins 6 secs

    Well done. Now you know that on a still day you could do it..

    ...d

  5. JohnB

    JohnB Guest

    wafflycat wrote:

    > > 30 mins 6 secs
    > >

    > Not bad Simon, not bad.

    Compared to whom ;-)

    John B

  6. JohnB

    JohnB Guest

    Andrew wrote:

    > 30 mins 6 secs
    >
    > Simon, come out with me for a few interval sessions and we will wipe those 6
    > seconds of the map!

    A good time.
    Now look for a course with some more caravans and lorries ;-)

    John B

  7. elyob

    elyob Guest

    "David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    >> 30 mins 6 secs

    > Well done. Now you know that on a still day you could do it..

    And on a downhill course ...

  8. dkahn400

    dkahn400 Guest

    JohnB wrote:
    > wafflycat wrote:
    >
    > > > 30 mins 6 secs

    > > Not bad Simon, not bad.

    > Compared to whom ;-)

    Compared to himself, of course. The Race of Truth is against oneself as
    much as the other riders. A PB is a significant achievement, but in
    this case his satisfaction is marred by the narrowness of his failure
    to achieve what is after all a purely arbitrary number. His average
    speed was less than 67 thousandths of a mph slower than he wanted it to
    be, and if he keeps plugging at it he'll certainly get there. An
    improvement of only 1 mph will take him into the long 28s. I'm sure
    he'll clock 28 something before too long.

    Yes, I did note the smiley. :)

    --
    Dave...

  9. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    dkahn400 wrote:
    > JohnB wrote:

    > > > Not bad Simon, not bad.

    > > Compared to whom ;-)

    > Compared to himself, of course. The Race of Truth is against oneself as
    > much as the other riders.

    one 'truth' hit me at the age of 40; the fact that I was never going
    to make vet standard time. A tried and tested way of sorting the wheat
    from the chaff.

  10. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>,
    dkahn400 ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > JohnB wrote:

    >> > Not bad Simon, not bad.

    >> Compared to whom ;-)

    > Compared to himself, of course. The Race of Truth is against oneself as
    > much as the other riders.

    True. More so, in fact.

    > A PB is a significant achievement, but in
    > this case his satisfaction is marred by the narrowness of his failure
    > to achieve what is after all a purely arbitrary number. His average
    > speed was less than 67 thousandths of a mph slower than he wanted it to
    > be

    Well, my times for that course for this year are as follows:

    Apr 12, 2005 Simon Brooke 34:25
    Apr 26, 2005 Simon Brooke 32:45
    May 17, 2005 Simon Brooke 32:23
    May 31, 2005 Simon Brooke 31:29
    Jun 14, 2005 Simon Brooke 31:22
    Jul 12, 2005 Simon Brooke 30:32
    Aug 9, 2005 Simon Brooke 30:06

    See
    <URL:http://www.stewartry-wheelers.org/wheelers/resultsearch?team=1&start=Craignair%20Bridge>

    My previous personal best was 32:26, so every ride this year I've
    improved my time, and every ride since the 17th May I've set a new
    personal best. It's just that

    (i) Thirty minutes is now /so/ /close/, and
    (ii) I'd really like to do thirty minutes before my fiftieth birthday,
    which is getting close, and
    (iii) certain soi-disant friends of mine have been winding me up
    something rotten - whilst drinking my whisky!

    Yesterday there seemed a very good chance of doing it, and I /just/
    missed it - by 0.3%, and, you know, that's very frustrating. The
    Craignair Bridge course is of our courses, the one I find easiest. It's
    pretty nearly flat with only two small hills, as compared to our Borgue
    course which starts straight up a bloody big one. We'll have at most two
    or three more cracks at the Craignair course before my birthday.

    > and if he keeps plugging at it he'll certainly get there. An
    > improvement of only 1 mph will take him into the long 28s. I'm sure
    > he'll clock 28 something before too long.

    Why, thank you kind sir.

    ;; lovely alternative to rice.

  11. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>,
    MartinM ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > dkahn400 wrote:
    >>
    >> Compared to himself, of course. The Race of Truth is against oneself
    >> as much as the other riders.

    > one 'truth' hit me at the age of 40; the fact that I was never going
    > to make vet standard time. A tried and tested way of sorting the wheat
    > from the chaff.

    What is 'vet standard time'?

    ;; I'll have a proper rant later, when I get the time.

  12. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Yesterday there seemed a very good chance of doing it, and I /just/
    > missed it

    It's always the worst when you get so close to change the minute isn't it?
    It's totally arbitary of course, but it gets me everytime as well!

    > course which starts straight up a bloody big one. We'll have at most two
    > or three more cracks at the Craignair course before my birthday.

    Then I'd expect you to go under 30 mins before your birthday then.

    Good luck!

    Arthur

    The struggle of people against power is the struggle
    of memory against forgetting - Milan Kundera

  13. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:
    > in message <[email protected]>,
    > MartinM ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >
    > > dkahn400 wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Compared to himself, of course. The Race of Truth is against oneself
    > >> as much as the other riders.

    > > one 'truth' hit me at the age of 40; the fact that I was never going
    > > to make vet standard time. A tried and tested way of sorting the wheat
    > > from the chaff.

    > What is 'vet standard time'?

    Hmm, you're asking now,from memory I think it's an average time that
    riders do once over the age of 40; starts at 1.06.30 for a 25 at the
    age of 40 IIRC and increases by 30s every year of age or therabouts;
    www.rttc.org.uk should have it all. Most if not all TT's have a prize
    for the vet who beats his/her standard time by the biggest margin.
    Just to rub it in they often write the minus times (ie mine) in red in
    the finish board. Watching my time go up in red was enough to convince
    me to move on. But a lot of riders love it and more power to them; to
    beat a PB is a great feeling, even though I only did it twice.

  14. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    > What is 'vet standard time'?

    Something which one requires a doctorate in quantum mechanics to understand
    ;-)

    The details are, IIRC correctly online at www.ctt.org.uk under
    rider/officials' info and then veterans' target times.

    Cheers, helen s

  15. JohnB

    JohnB Guest

    MartinM wrote:

    > Simon Brooke wrote:

    > > What is 'vet standard time'?

    > Hmm, you're asking now,from memory I think it's an average time that
    > riders do once over the age of 40; starts at 1.06.30 for a 25 at the
    > age of 40 IIRC and increases by 30s every year of age or therabouts;
    > www.rttc.org.uk should have it all.

    Or even the vtta as here:

    http://www.vtta.org.uk/standard.html

    It seems a 50 year old should be aiming to beat 27mins 33 secs.

    There are even Standards for 109 year old riders :-0

    I knew TT's were mainly for riders 'getting on a bit in years' but
    ....109 ...I mean...
    Blimey.

    John B

  16. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "wafflycat" <waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > The details are, IIRC correctly online at www.ctt.org.uk under
    > rider/officials' info and then veterans' target times.

    At what level do the drug rules come into effect? I do find it amusing that
    I would need a note from my GP in order to ride a TT - when would this be
    necessary?

    (not that I'm likely to)

    cheers,
    clive

  17. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > At what level do the drug rules come into effect? I do find it amusing
    > that I would need a note from my GP in order to ride a TT - when would
    > this be necessary?
    >
    > (not that I'm likely to)
    >
    > cheers,
    > clive

    The UCI rules on banned substances apply to TT-ing, period, no matter what
    level. The rules as regards a medical note from doctor are clear. I use an
    inhaler periodically, so yes, even at my pathetically poor level of TT-ing,
    I duly got a note from GP and lodged it with BCF. One has to set a good
    example to one's offspring! I've made our GP aware of Nathan's sporting
    interest and of where the UCI rules can be obtained. I asked that a note be
    put on Nathan's records that if he requires any medical treatment, the
    prescribing doc needs to know of the cycling situation and bear that in
    mind.

    Cheers, helen s

  18. JohnB

    JohnB Guest

    Clive George wrote:

    > At what level do the drug rules come into effect?

    As soon as you enter an event where the organising body has rules
    relating to drugs.

    > I do find it amusing that
    > I would need a note from my GP in order to ride a TT - when would this be
    > necessary?

    Doctors' notes are a bit of a joke within cycling circles, given those
    that suddenly appear when cheats are caught.
    "The EPO was for my aunt's sick dog" and similar excuses come to mind.

    John B

  19. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "JohnB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Clive George wrote:
    >
    >> At what level do the drug rules come into effect?

    > As soon as you enter an event where the organising body has rules
    > relating to drugs.

    Oh well. I'm not going to bother my GP for the sake of a TT. Should I do
    one, I'd probably not bother declaring my drug use - it's not as if I'm fast
    enough for people to worry about.

    Fortunately it seems trailquest people don't worry quite so much.

    cheers,
    clive

  20. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, "wafflycat"
    <waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk> ('') wrote:

    > "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >

    >> What is 'vet standard time'?
    >>

    > Something which one requires a doctorate in quantum mechanics to
    > understand ;-)
    >
    > The details are, IIRC correctly online at www.ctt.org.uk under
    > rider/officials' info and then veterans' target times.

    49 -> 00:26:42

    Hah! Nae chance!

    ;; "If I were a Microsoft Public Relations person, I would probably
    ;; be sobbing on a desk right now" -- Rob Miller, editor, /.