Good ball joints?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Markku Poysti, Apr 27, 2003.

  1. The current steering in my Vision has too much play. So i'm looking for improvement.

    Just got nice ball joints from Optima:

    http://hepso.dna.fi/misc/ball_joint.jpg

    The nice thing is the steel wire that works as a spring that removes any play.

    Also ordered rod assembly with "aircraft quality" joints from George Reynolds. Still waiting for
    delivery...

    Tags:

  2. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

  3. Markku Poysti <[email protected]_nospam> wrote:
    : The current steering in my Vision has too much play. So i'm looking for improvement.

    Did you ever consider a fairing as a mod?

    Hmm somehow this ball joint got me thinking about fairings... maybe I could put hinges on coroplast
    pieces, so I can have "doors" that lift upwards like on that one cool BMW (or was it a Mercedes :-/
    ) from some decades back ;)

    Leitra and I think Versatile have a kind of joint/hinge in the nose, so the front part of fairing
    lifts upwards... I could consider a hinge on say the right side of the middle line of the bent, so a
    huge "door" opens on the left side...

    Listed as #872 in "Projects to do after graduating".

  4. >http://hepso.dna.fi/misc/ball_joint.jpg

    >The nice thing is the steel wire that works as a spring that removes any play.

    Correction: the steel wire is there only to keep the upper cup in place. There is no play though. In
    the original joint the cup parts are loose.

    This made me think about spring loaded joint, where the spring would make sure there is no
    play. Haven't seen such a thing though. In some old car steering joints, the amount of play
    could be adjusted.

  5. Harv

    Harv Guest

    Spring loaded joint?? Sounds like Cheech and Chong doing a take on Monty Pythons crunchy frog
    sketch. Markku Poysti <[email protected]_nospam> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >http://hepso.dna.fi/misc/ball_joint.jpg
    > >
    > >The nice thing is the steel wire that works as a spring that removes any play.
    >
    > Correction: the steel wire is there only to keep the upper cup in place. There is no play though.
    > In the original joint the cup parts are loose.
    >
    > This made me think about spring loaded joint, where the spring would make sure there is no play.
    > Haven't seen such a thing though. In some old car steering joints, the amount of play could be
    > adjusted.

  6. >Spring loaded joint?? Sounds like Cheech and Chong doing a take on Monty Pythons crunchy
    >frog sketch.

    More like the Bicycle Repair Man, if you want Monty Python references. (Superman rides his bike,
    starts to wobble and falls. Later the bicycle repair man comes to rescue)

    Do you have steering linkage in your bike?. In exactly wrong conditions there is slow vibration in
    my front wheel with 1 cm amplitude, measured from rim.

  7. Harv

    Harv Guest

    (1) Cheech and Chong used to do dope smoking humor (don't you guys in yurrip smoke joints?) and the
    spring loaded sweet confection from the crunchy frog sketch. I didn't expect the spanish
    inquisition!

    (2) No, I ride V-REX. No Hiem joints. Did you duct tape an oscilloscope to your bike to measure the
    vibration? :0) "Markku Poysti" <[email protected]_nospam> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >Spring loaded joint?? Sounds like Cheech and Chong doing a take on Monty Pythons crunchy frog
    > >sketch.
    >
    > More like the Bicycle Repair Man, if you want Monty Python references. (Superman rides his bike,
    > starts to wobble and falls. Later the bicycle repair man comes to rescue)
    >
    > Do you have steering linkage in your bike?. In exactly wrong conditions there is slow vibration in
    > my front wheel with 1 cm amplitude, measured from rim.

  8. >(2) No, I ride V-REX. No Hiem joints. Did you duct tape an oscilloscope to your bike to measure the
    > vibration? :0)

    Ok, then you don't understand the pain with non-direct steering.

    Maybe i'll try to use a vibrator to induce some oscillation ;)

  9. Harv

    Harv Guest

    Is it possible that the connecting rod is the culprit, not the ball end? "Markku Poysti"
    <[email protected]_nospam> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >(2) No, I ride V-REX. No Hiem joints. Did you duct tape an oscilloscope
    > >your bike to measure the vibration? :0)
    >
    > Ok, then you don't understand the pain with non-direct steering.
    >
    > Maybe i'll try to use a vibrator to induce some oscillation ;)

  10. John Riley

    John Riley Guest

    [email protected]_nospam (Markku Poysti) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > >http://hepso.dna.fi/misc/ball_joint.jpg
    > >
    > >The nice thing is the steel wire that works as a spring that removes any play.
    >
    > Correction: the steel wire is there only to keep the upper cup in place. There is no play though.
    > In the original joint the cup parts are loose.
    >
    > This made me think about spring loaded joint, where the spring would make sure there is no play.
    > Haven't seen such a thing though. In some old car steering joints, the amount of play could be
    > adjusted.

    Linears used to have rod ends that had a spring loaded collar. I think this eliminated play. It
    also made them quick release, which was necessary since some of these bikes folded. It was more
    argricultural than aircraft, but I think it worked OK. You might get more info about Linear
    parts here:

    http://www.bicycleman.com/Recumbents/Linear/linear.html

    (Good ball joints sounds suggestive, but I guess rod ends isn' t much better ;-)

  11. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    harv wrote:

    > (1) Cheech and Chong used to do dope smoking humor (don't you guys in yurrip smoke joints?) and
    > the spring loaded sweet confection from the crunchy frog sketch. I didn't expect the spanish
    > inquisition!

    NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

  12. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    harv wrote:

    > (1) Cheech and Chong used to do dope smoking humor (don't you guys in yurrip smoke joints?)...

    Since the irrational hysteria over cannabis use that is prevalent in US law and society is for the
    most part missing in Europe, one would expect there to be much less humor about the subject (being
    that cannabis usage is considered rather mundane in most of Europe).

  13. Cannabis causes paranoia though, Tom. Every time I smoke a spliff, I keep thinking the police want
    to arrest me...

    <ob_recumbent> One former member of the BHPC, who had better remain nameless, not only stopped to
    skin up halfway through a rather strenuous 50+ km time-trial, but also ran away from the St. John
    Ambulance in the mistaken belief that they were about to bust him. </ob_recumbent>

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  14. Latest pop statistics from the news here in DK: The earlier youngsters start to smoke cannabis, the
    greater the risk for them to become heroin addicts. Ta-daaa!

    > harv wrote:
    > >
    > > (1) Cheech and Chong used to do dope smoking humor (don't you guys in
    yurrip
    > > smoke joints?)...
    >
    > Since the irrational hysteria over cannabis use that is prevalent in US law and society is for the
    > most part missing in Europe, one would expect there to be much less humor about the subject (being
    > that cannabis usage is considered rather mundane in most of Europe).

  15. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Torben Scheel wrote:

    > Latest pop statistics from the news here in DK: The earlier youngsters start to smoke cannabis,
    > the greater the risk for them to become heroin addicts. Ta-daaa!

    Many (most?) of the heroin addicts in the US acquired the habit while partaking in the ill-advised
    continuation of a failed French colonial venture.

    Is should also be mentioned that statistics are misused (or more precisely, their interpretation)
    more frequently than mood altering substances. Correlation and causality are not the same thing.