good tyre levers?

"Mike Causer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 17:49:30 +0000, Nigel Cliffe wrote:
>
>> I really like the SpeedLever*. Several friends have watched amazed as it
>> zips a tyre on or off a wheel, and then bought one themselves. Works
>> down
>> to at least a 700x25mm tyre, and has heaved several very tight examples
>> over rims when ordinary levers were not working.
>>
>> Does need a little care in where you push, or they look like they will
>> snap, though mine hasn't broken and is best part of a decade old.
>>
>> (* about a fiver from Halfords, I think its under the Crank Bros name
>> these days, though mine is much older).

> Seconded.
>
> Mine is an ~8 year old Crank Brothers version, but more recently those
> I've bought as presents for friends have been in Raleigh packaging. It
> works fine on my assortment of 16", 17", 20" and 26" tyres.
>

> Mike

I get a set of 3 from Tesco at 93p I have removed 700x20, 700x23, 700x25,
26x1.90, 20x1.75 and never had any problems apart from the 700x20 which took
a bit more leverage to get over the rim.

cheers
Jon_H

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 12:49:19 +0000, Peter Clinch
<[email protected]> wrote:

>bugbear wrote:
>
>> So - can anyone recommend effective
>> tyre levers (mainly for narrow-ish 700c if
>> it makes a difference).

>I use Park Tools plastic ones. They seem to have survived okay so far,
>including the notoriously nasty Marathon <-> Brompton job.

I used to go with the Park ones, thought they were really good, until
I straightened them out trying to get an unknown 406 x 20 on. I'd
already buggered up two sets of the black glass reinforced Dyason type
ones.

Like Blonde elsewhere in the thread I think the VAR tool is the kiddy
when it comes to tight tyre/rim combinations. And like Danny, the Tacx
levers are dead good in all other situations. And they clip together.

I used to haved a speed lever, but it broke because I am a clumsy git.

Tim

Roos Eisma wrote:
> bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> writes:
>

>>I have bought and used several tyre levers
>>over the years.

>>The best ones IME are stimson (sp?) and
>>came in a 3 quid levers + patches + glue
>>kit. Little buggers, with a "step" on the back
>>that pivots on the rim nicely.

> You mean the metal Simson ones? I can probably spare a couple, every time
> I bought a box of patches there was another set in there...
>
> Still available from Halfords in the NL:
> http://www.halfords.nl/NL/Acties/Catalog/ProductDetail.htm?productId=709502

Ooh! I'll have to check - I do remember at one point
Simson changed the design to a less good one.

But that looks MOST promising. Thanks.

BugBear