Graham Watson, ie Lance Armstrong's personal photographer

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Boyd Speerschneider, May 17, 2004.

  1. Is it just me or is Graham Watson on LA's nuts?
    He chooses not to cover the second week of the Giro in order to cover some
    no-name french race all because his boy LA will be there.
    WTF?
    I'm guessing its all about the bling-bling, as he can probably sell more
    photos of LA (to the mainstream press and others) than of the Giro.
    What a sad, sad state of affairs.

    - Boyd "missing the Giro pics" S.

    Tags:

  2. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]_TOOyahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Is it just me or is Graham Watson on LA's nuts?
    > He chooses not to cover the second week of the Giro in order to cover some
    > no-name french race all because his boy LA will be there.
    > WTF?
    > I'm guessing its all about the bling-bling, as he can probably sell more
    > photos of LA (to the mainstream press and others) than of the Giro.
    > What a sad, sad state of affairs.
    >
    > - Boyd "missing the Giro pics" S.

    There are still lots of Giro pic around by better photographers than the
    stale Graham cracker. Sirotti is but one who does excellent work. Too bad
    Cor Vos is at the Peace Race.

  3. "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]_TOOyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Is it just me or is Graham Watson on LA's nuts?
    > > He chooses not to cover the second week of the Giro in order to cover

    some
    > > no-name french race all because his boy LA will be there.
    > > WTF?
    > > I'm guessing its all about the bling-bling, as he can probably sell more
    > > photos of LA (to the mainstream press and others) than of the Giro.
    > > What a sad, sad state of affairs.
    > >
    > > - Boyd "missing the Giro pics" S.

    > There are still lots of Giro pic around by better photographers than the
    > stale Graham cracker. Sirotti is but one who does excellent work. Too

    bad
    > Cor Vos is at the Peace Race.

    I know, that bugged me too! It's the Giro! He also left the tour of
    Switzerland a couple of years ago and there were no photos of the last
    stages.

    ANother photographer I like is Yuzuru Sunada, who also left the giro to
    cover the WC track in Sydney. However, he may go back to the giro, and he
    has a great collection on his website (www.yuzurusunada.com) He recently had
    a series of collections including, "Bad Weather", "Crash", and "Legs."I
    think the photo I remember the most is one of Fabio Fontanelli after that
    horrible crash in the tour in 1994, with a chain ring imprinted on his face!

  4. Dan Connelly

    Dan Connelly Guest

    B. Lafferty wrote:
    > There are still lots of Giro pic around by better photographers than the
    > stale Graham cracker. Sirotti is but one who does excellent work. Too bad
    > Cor Vos is at the Peace Race.

    From the Giro, please show an example of a Sirotti photo which is better than any of Watson's work
    there.

    thanks,
    Dan

    P.S. Obviously, Watson's following the money. As Brian points out, there's plenty of
    competition at the Giro. No problem with that.

  5. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "Dan Connelly" <[email protected]_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > B. Lafferty wrote:
    > > There are still lots of Giro pic around by better photographers than the
    > > stale Graham cracker. Sirotti is but one who does excellent work. Too

    bad
    > > Cor Vos is at the Peace Race.
    > >

    > From the Giro, please show an example of a Sirotti photo which is better

    than any of Watson's work
    > there.
    >
    > thanks,
    > Dan
    >
    > P.S. Obviously, Watson's following the money. As Brian points out,

    there's plenty of
    > competition at the Giro. No problem with that.

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/giro04/index.php?id=stage7/6

  6. Dan Connelly

    Dan Connelly Guest

  7. Boyd Speerschneider wrote:

    > Is it just me or is Graham Watson on LA's nuts?
    > He chooses not to cover the second week of the Giro in order to cover some
    > no-name french race all because his boy LA will be there.
    > WTF?
    > I'm guessing its all about the bling-bling,

    Isn't that a Woody Guthrie song? (If ya don't have the bling, bling,
    bling..."

    Steve

    --
    Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    http://www.dentaltwins.com

  8. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

  9. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Dan Connelly" <[email protected]_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > B. Lafferty wrote:
    > > "Dan Connelly" <[email protected]_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote in message

    > >> From the Giro, please show an example of a Sirotti photo which is

    better
    > >> than any of Watson's work
    > >>there.

    > > http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/giro04/index.php?id=stage7/6

    > :)

    I figure that Graham wouldn't have shadows across the faces of the people
    he's trying to photograph. Wouldn't you think so as well?

  10. Dan Connelly

    Dan Connelly Guest

    Tom Kunich wrote:
    > "Dan Connelly" <[email protected]_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>B. Lafferty wrote:

    > better

    >>>http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/giro04/index.php?id=stage7/6

    >>:)

    > I figure that Graham wouldn't have shadows across the faces of the people
    > he's trying to photograph. Wouldn't you think so as well?

    Watson's my favorite. It's hard to beat shots like:
    http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/updateframesetcall?openform&04giroSt5

    And some discrete cropping on his podium kiss shots:
    http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/updateframesetcall?openform&04romandieSt3

    Dan

    P.S. encouraging:
    http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/temp/bushjobapproval.png

  11. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

  12. Dan Connelly

    Dan Connelly Guest

    Robert Chung wrote:
    > Dan Connelly wrote:
    >
    >>P.S. encouraging:
    >>http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/temp/bushjobapproval.png

    > I had to extend the left axis to handle the most recent polls. The old
    > plot is:
    > http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/temp/oldbushjobapproval.png

    Interesting observations:

    1. Fox registers consistently high numbers, Zogby consistently low.
    2. Two clear spikes: 911 and Saddam capture. He needs to get Osama,
    or he loses in 2004 (Go, Osama, Go! [*])

    Also, two very interesting plots:
    http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/scpo/exp-percap.png
    http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/scpo/pct-gdp.png

    Can you say "value on the dollar"?

    And, maybe my favorite:
    http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/temp/fat-vote.png

    Cycling, related, there's also a nice plot of the 1997 BMI
    data (Google for the number data -- it's on cyclingnews):
    http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/temp/tdf97-bmi.png

    [*] don't worry, I'm not for terrorism. I don't think terrorism is
    driven by individuals, but by political environments, and Bush is
    creating the optimal political environment. So the real force
    behind terrorism isn't OBL, but GWB. If people realized this,
    we'd see an accelerated trend on that plot.

    P.S. To keep this topical, the data from which I did the regression
    is at:
    http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/temp/tdf.csv

  13. Dan Connelly

    Dan Connelly Guest

    Dan Connelly wrote:
    > 2. Two clear spikes: 911 and Saddam capture. He needs to get Osama,
    > or he loses in 2004 (Go, Osama, Go! [*])

    That is 3 spikes -- the invasion of Iraq, as well.

  14. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    Dan Connelly wrote:
    > Robert Chung wrote:
    >> Dan Connelly wrote:
    >>
    >>> P.S. encouraging:
    >>> http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/temp/bushjobapproval.png

    >> I had to extend the left axis to handle the most recent polls. The old
    >> plot is:
    >> http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/temp/oldbushjobapproval.png
    >>

    > Interesting observations:
    >
    > 1. Fox registers consistently high numbers, Zogby consistently low.

    Most national polls use "adults of voting age." Fox uses "registered"
    voters. Zogby uses "likely" voters. In addition, most of the other polls
    ask a (binary) approve or disapprove question. Zogby asks a four-part job
    rating question as: excellent/good/fair/poor/not sure." What I've plotted
    for Zogby is (excellent+good) - (fair+poor).

    > 2. Two clear spikes: 911 and Saddam capture. He needs to get Osama,
    > or he loses in 2004 (Go, Osama, Go! [*])

    Third spike is "Mission accomplished."

    GWB has never had an extended bounce in his job approval ratings; he's
    actually never had a stable flat plateau.

    > Also, two very interesting plots:
    > http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/scpo/exp-percap.png
    > http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/scpo/pct-gdp.png
    >
    > Can you say "value on the dollar"?

    Those focus on disability-adjusted expectation of life at birth, but by
    almost any measure the US is smack dab in the middle of the developed
    countries (we're certainly better off than third-world countries, but then
    that's not who we usually compare ourselves to). The one variable where we
    are unambiguously ranked number one is cost. It's not close.

    > And, maybe my favorite:
    > http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/temp/fat-vote.png

    Ben Weiner pointed out that the Mountain West states have close to the
    same slope but a different intercept.

  15. K. J. Papai

    K. J. Papai Guest

    Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Boyd Speerschneider wrote:
    >
    > > Is it just me or is Graham Watson on LA's nuts?
    > > He chooses not to cover the second week of the Giro in order to cover some
    > > no-name french race all because his boy LA will be there.
    > > WTF?
    > > I'm guessing its all about the bling-bling,

    > Isn't that a Woody Guthrie song? (If ya don't have the bling, bling,
    > bling..."

    CYPRESS HILL ("Bling, BLing")

    -Ken

    > Steve

  16. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

    "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]_TOOyahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Is it just me or is Graham Watson on LA's nuts?

    Maybe Graham sells more Lance pics and posters than any other?

  17. "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in news:FGaqc.34935
    [email protected]:

    > "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]_TOOyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Is it just me or is Graham Watson on LA's nuts?
    >>

    > Maybe Graham sells more Lance pics and posters than any other?

    Maybe you need to read more than just the first line of my post?

  18. Boyd Speerschneider <[email protected]_TOOyahoo.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Is it just me or is Graham Watson on LA's nuts?
    > He chooses not to cover the second week of the Giro in order to cover some
    > no-name french race all because his boy LA will be there.
    > WTF?
    > I'm guessing its all about the bling-bling, as he can probably sell more
    > photos of LA (to the mainstream press and others) than of the Giro.
    > What a sad, sad state of affairs.
    >
    > - Boyd "missing the Giro pics" S.

    You have to figure the opportunity for photographers to make some
    serious dough doesn't come along very often. That Graham's books can
    be found in book barns, across the US, is some indication he's made a
    good business decision.

    One thing's for sure, after LA retires we won't have to look far for
    pictures of his glory days.

  19. Robert Chung wrote:

    > Dan Connelly wrote:
    >
    >>Robert Chung wrote:

    >>>I had to extend the left axis to handle the most recent polls. The old
    >>>plot is:
    >>>http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/temp/oldbushjobapproval.png
    >>>

    >>Interesting observations:
    >>
    >>1. Fox registers consistently high numbers, Zogby consistently low.

    > Most national polls use "adults of voting age." Fox uses "registered"
    > voters. Zogby uses "likely" voters. In addition, most of the other polls
    > ask a (binary) approve or disapprove question. Zogby asks a four-part job
    > rating question as: excellent/good/fair/poor/not sure." What I've plotted
    > for Zogby is (excellent+good) - (fair+poor).
    >

    >>2. Two clear spikes: 911 and Saddam capture. He needs to get Osama,
    >> or he loses in 2004 (Go, Osama, Go! [*])

    > Third spike is "Mission accomplished."
    >
    > GWB has never had an extended bounce in his job approval ratings; he's
    > actually never had a stable flat plateau.
    >

    >>Also, two very interesting plots:
    >>http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/scpo/exp-percap.png
    >>http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/scpo/pct-gdp.png
    >>
    >>Can you say "value on the dollar"?

    > Those focus on disability-adjusted expectation of life at birth, but by
    > almost any measure the US is smack dab in the middle of the developed
    > countries (we're certainly better off than third-world countries, but then
    > that's not who we usually compare ourselves to). The one variable where we
    > are unambiguously ranked number one is cost. It's not close.
    >

    >>And, maybe my favorite:
    >>http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/temp/fat-vote.png

    > Ben Weiner pointed out that the Mountain West states have close to the
    > same slope but a different intercept.

    Guys--
    These are simply amazing!! Is the anonymous coward one of you two, or
    is he/she truly anonymous?

    Steve

    --
    Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    http://www.dentaltwins.com

  20. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

    "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]_TOOyahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in news:FGaqc.34935
    > [email protected]:
    >

    > > "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]_TOOyahoo.com> wrote in

    message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > >> Is it just me or is Graham Watson on LA's nuts?
    > >>

    > > Maybe Graham sells more Lance pics and posters than any other?

    > Maybe you need to read more than just the first line of my post?

    So you answered your own question? Nice....