Hartman's photos

Mattb

Guest
Conditions aren't really conducive to riding, so I skied Hartman's solo again yesterday. Here's a
few photos I snapped between waves of brutal wind and blowing snow. It was really cold when these
little cells would blow through, but then pretty nice between waves. I was out for a couple of
hours breaking trail through the new snow we've had the last couple of days. Hard work even on the
parts where it isn't blown in up to my waist! This is the most snow Hartman's has actually held
for several years. Usually it melts off pretty quickly because the rocks radiate so much warmth -
but not this year. I even made a few awkward skinny ski tele turns on the way back to the front.
That was fun.

Looking East on Hogsback http://mattb.net/images/04-01-25%20(hartman%20ski)/hogsback1.jpg

Looking West on Hogsback http://mattb.net/images/04-01-25%20(hartman%20ski)/hogsback2.jpg

Fresh tracks http://mattb.net/images/04-01-25%20(hartman%20ski)/hogsback+ski.jpg

Looking back http://mattb.net/images/04-01-25%20(hartman%20ski)/hogsback3.jpg

Heading up to a gap http://mattb.net/images/04-01-25%20(hartman%20ski)/hogsback4.jpg

--

Matt

"Gravity. It's not just a good idea, it's the law!"

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Conditions aren't really conducive to riding, so I skied Hartman's
solo
> again yesterday. Here's a few photos I snapped between waves of brutal
wind
> and blowing snow. It was really cold when these little cells would blow through, but then pretty
> nice between waves. I was out for a couple of
hours
> breaking trail through the new snow we've had the last couple of days.
Hard
> work even on the parts where it isn't blown in up to my waist! This is the most snow Hartman's has
> actually held for several years. Usually it melts off pretty quickly because the rocks radiate so
> much warmth - but not this year. I even made a few awkward skinny ski tele
turns
> on the way back to the front. That was fun.
>
> Looking East on Hogsback http://mattb.net/images/04-01-25%20(hartman%20ski)/hogsback1.jpg
>
> Looking West on Hogsback http://mattb.net/images/04-01-25%20(hartman%20ski)/hogsback2.jpg
>
> Fresh tracks http://mattb.net/images/04-01-25%20(hartman%20ski)/hogsback+ski.jpg
>
> Looking back http://mattb.net/images/04-01-25%20(hartman%20ski)/hogsback3.jpg
>
> Heading up to a gap http://mattb.net/images/04-01-25%20(hartman%20ski)/hogsback4.jpg

Wait a minute, shouldn't this be posted in alt.ski.freaks or something???

:)

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Carla A-G wrote: <snip>

> Wait a minute, shouldn't this be posted in alt.ski.freaks or something???

Probably, but they ARE mountain bike trails, and I'd be mountain biking on them if I could...

But hey, gimmie a break! It's the best I can do right now!

Matt

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> But hey, gimmie a break! It's the best I can do right now!

We've resorted to skating and playing hockey. I'm finally coming out of my flu and starting to get
some of my energy back, but unfortunately, I'm not quite ready to hit the trails yet.

We've had a little bit of a set back tho, Jim slipped on a patch of ice last night, unexpectedly,
and fell hard on his left knee. Its not looking too good right now...

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Carla A-G wrote:
> "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> But hey, gimmie a break! It's the best I can do right now!
>
> We've resorted to skating and playing hockey. I'm finally coming out of my flu and starting to get
> some of my energy back, but unfortunately, I'm not quite ready to hit the trails yet.

Be careful playing hockey. It's perfect for a fixed foot lateral knee blow. I guess you probably
aren't throwing/taking too many checks, but just be aware of that!

Good to hear you're emerging from the flu. Did you get a flu shot this year?

> We've had a little bit of a set back tho, Jim slipped on a patch of ice last night, unexpectedly,
> and fell hard on his left knee. Its not looking too good right now...

That sucks! On the bright side, most knee pain from impacts are just pressure on the knee from a
swollen bruise rather than actual structural damage (assuming he didn't chip or break anything).
Push the ice and ibuprofen - and elevation wouldn't hurt either!

Good luck to both of you gimps!

> - CA-G
>
> Can-Am Girls Kick Ass! (as long as their knees are holding up)

Matt

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Be careful playing hockey. It's perfect for a fixed foot lateral knee
blow.
> I guess you probably aren't throwing/taking too many checks, but just be aware of that!

I've never had a problem with playing hockey (despite my various ankle injuries from my soccer
playing days), and its non-contact for us.

> Good to hear you're emerging from the flu. Did you get a flu shot this
year?

I got the flu shot, apparently, it didn't work.

> That sucks! On the bright side, most knee pain from impacts are just pressure on the knee from a
> swollen bruise rather than actual structural damage (assuming he didn't chip or break anything).
> Push the ice and ibuprofen - and elevation wouldn't hurt either!

Let's hope that's all it is. The icing, ibuprofen and elevation is in process.

> Good luck to both of you gimps!

Indeed, thanks!

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Carla A-G wrote:

> I've never had a problem with playing hockey (despite my various ankle injuries from my soccer
> playing days), and its non-contact for us.

What's the point in ice hockey without the violence?

Carla A-G wrote:
> "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Be careful playing hockey. It's perfect for a fixed foot lateral knee blow. I guess you probably
>> aren't throwing/taking too many checks, but just be aware of that!
>
> I've never had a problem with playing hockey (despite my various ankle injuries from my soccer
> playing days), and its non-contact for us.
>
>> Good to hear you're emerging from the flu. Did you get a flu shot this year?
>
> I got the flu shot, apparently, it didn't work.
>
>> That sucks! On the bright side, most knee pain from impacts are just pressure on the knee from a
>> swollen bruise rather than actual structural damage (assuming he didn't chip or break anything).
>> Push the ice and ibuprofen - and elevation wouldn't hurt either!
>
> Let's hope that's all it is. The icing, ibuprofen and elevation is in process.
>
>> Good luck to both of you gimps!
>
> Indeed, thanks!

You might want to try the ice cube bath soak for Jim's knee. You might have to fill a cooler or a
tub to be able to get a knee in tho??

penny

MattB wrote:
> Carla A-G wrote: <snip>
>>
>> Wait a minute, shouldn't this be posted in alt.ski.freaks or something???
>>

> Probably, but they ARE mountain bike trails, and I'd be mountain biking on them if I could...
>
> But hey, gimmie a break! It's the best I can do right now!
>
> Matt

beside, amb is more fun than rsa.

;-)

Penny S wrote:
> MattB wrote:
>> Carla A-G wrote: <snip>
>>>
>>> Wait a minute, shouldn't this be posted in alt.ski.freaks or something???
>>>

>> Probably, but they ARE mountain bike trails, and I'd be mountain biking on them if I could...
>>
>> But hey, gimmie a break! It's the best I can do right now!
>>
>> Matt
>
> beside, amb is more fun than rsa.

That's for sure. RSA's "issues" are out of my leauge. I can't deal with the level of disfunction
there. I use RSAM almost exclusivley for (Alpine and maybe a little tele) ski stuff even though it
doesn't get the volume (or even on-topic threads) RSA does.

Oh, and I think these photos are more relavent to MTB than Alpine skiing too!

Matt

On 2004-01-26, bomba penned:
> Carla A-G wrote:
>
>> I've never had a problem with playing hockey (despite my various ankle injuries from my soccer
>> playing days), and its non-contact for us.
>
> What's the point in ice hockey without the violence?

It's hard to find a checking league as an adult, even if you want to play that way. The insurance
costs are just too high.

I play ice hockey at the Y, and it's good fun. More chippy than "non-contact" might suggest, some
days, but certainly nothing like the real deal.

--
monique