Has anybody used flat free "tubes?"

lectraplayer

May 11, 2014
I've seen them in www.cahabacycles.com and Wally-World, but have wondered if they are any good. The flat free tubes I am finding still seems soft to my touch when still in the package. Has anybody here used them? Are they that soft or do they seem to "firm up" when mounted in the wheel? Also, can you get them in various firmnesses?

One of the things a tube has to do is conform to the inside of the tire and rim to properly seat the tire bead. This is impossible without air pressure. This is what also allows the casing to flex and the tread to conform to the road surface.

On the basis of safety, in seating the tire and traction, I recommend against using these.

I've used airfree/airless/solid tires, but never the tubes. The tubes offer a more difficult engineering challenge. Mounting a tire on a one-piece rim relies on the bead being able to slip into a shallow "trench" in the middle of the rim to free up space to get the bead over the edge of the rim. Not a principal problem with an inflatable tube. Now think about that, and a "solid" tube. If you want a firm tube you have to heave like crazy on the tire levers to tighten the bead enough to get it to creep in under the tube and get over the edge of the rim. Or you end up with a soft tube, or a tube that won't really fill the tire. I've seen a youtube video of mounting foam tubes on a wheelchair wheel. It took three guys, plenty of grunting and a bucket of WD-40.

I installed one of these earlier today. The instructions on mine (strange for a Wally-World product) were very well written, but you have to follow them to the letter or we'll be filming what you saw Dabec. I destroyed a tire due to this. When I took my time, did one step at a time without combining steps, and used plenty of Armor All, it was almost easy. It all feels like it's aired to about 50 PSI. I was expecting only about 20 PSI or so.

Originally Posted by lectraplayer

I installed one of these earlier today. The instructions on mine (strange for a Wally-World product) were very well written, but you have to follow them to the letter or we'll be filming what you saw Dabec. I destroyed a tire due to this. When I took my time, did one step at a time without combining steps, and used plenty of Armor All, it was almost easy. It all feels like it's aired to about 50 PSI. I was expecting only about 20 PSI or so.
Please come back with a ride report too.

On the short ride I did, (only about half a mile) it felt about optimal for me. Not too soft, not too detailed. Then again, this bike is a brick anyway, and I'm no lightweight either. I will have to get another, and a fish de-liar (scale) and film conversion of the front. One warning: it is HEAVY! Those of you counting ounces may not want to mess with this. It may be great for mountain bikers and downhill divers, or other riders whom value a tire that just won't go flat. Something else I know, is that highs in the 20's now is freakin' cold for Alabama. That's normally the lows here and now. It has also been wet, or I would have went much farther.

One thing to consider: With the polyurethane used for the solid tires, these get noticeably harder in cold weather. Depending on material, it might be the same for your tubes.

dabac said:
One thing to consider: With the polyurethane used for the solid tires, these get noticeably harder in cold weather. Depending on material, it might be the same for your tubes.
I'll have to keep an eye on that, especially around August. I figured it did some, but not significantly. If it gets as soft as I expected, I may take it out. (...then again, it may also soften due to wear)