Have You Ever Been a Cycling Pro?

gntlmn

Jul 28, 2003
I'm curious how many readers out there have been in the professional ranks, currently or in the past, even for a short period of time.

I have beaten pro's from various country's but never been one myself. Most likely will never be one too. Several of my training buddies have been or still are.

No chance whatsoever i'm afraid. I know of two ex professionals in the club i'm in. One of them, Harry Reynolds rode in the Tour de France and another ex pro, Bob Jones raced against the great Eddy Merckx :eek:

I am hoping to start my pro life in a couple of months. I am packing my bags and heading to Belgium so I can race everyday.

Hope to become pro in a few years.
A few pros in local clubs,
Robbie McEwan
Nick Gates
Jason Phillips
Sara Carrigan
Wade Bootes
Danny Clark

Originally posted by rhino
I am hoping to start my pro life in a couple of months. I am packing my bags and heading to Belgium so I can race everyday.

Cool! What's your age? You must be a terrific rider. Sorry I haven't come back to this website for some time. I have been preoccupied.

Maybe you could check back in now and again and share some of your thoughts and experiences (anonymously if you like). That would be very interesting to the majority of us who will not aspire to qualify for pro status. What goes on behind the scenes we'd like to hear about.

Take care, stay healthy.

Originally posted by Sprinter_989
Hope to become pro in a few years.
A few pros in local clubs,
Robbie McEwan
Nick Gates
Jason Phillips
Sara Carrigan
Wade Bootes
Danny Clark

I am trying to contact DannyClark.Would you know what club he rides for?I am researching relative of mine Jackie Clark world champion cyclist early 1900's.Want to ask Danny if he knows of him
Regards Clive

Originally posted by ClivePaisley
I am trying to contact DannyClark.Would you know what club he rides for?I am researching relative of mine Jackie Clark world champion cyclist early 1900's.Want to ask Danny if he knows of him
Regards Clive

I hear it's particularly significant to have a world champion grandfather on your mother's side, which it sounds like he may be. You may have a lot of potential if you have not already tapped it. Good luck finding Danny.

Originally posted by rhino

that's cool! like Robbie McEwen & Scott Sunderland, who live quite close from my place...
where are you going? "Flemish Ardens"? I might come accross you while I'm riding my bike ;)

My father was an Olympic Track and Road cyclist. But I am tring to make it to the Pros. I enter into every road race, track race, critterium, time trial, and triathlon I can race in. I do ride with a Pro pack in my group rides. I keep up with them no problem. Even when I was riding with the Jelly-Belly Team. I have the Will to spend 3-6 hours on a bike everyday. So I hope that I will make it Pro because I have the Heart, Nerve, and Sinew to take on anyone or anything that is put in front of me. Or behind me. :)

My father was an Olympic Track and Road cyclist. But I am tring to make it to the Pros. I enter into every road race, track race, critterium, time trial, and triathlon I can race in. I do ride with a Pro pack in my group rides. I keep up with them no problem. Even when I was riding with the Jelly-Belly Team. I have the Will to spend 3-6 hours on a bike everyday. So I hope that I will make it Pro because I have the Heart, Nerve, and Sinew to take on anyone or anything that is put in front of me. Or behind me. :)

Most pros aren't 6'4", 155 lbs, like I am, but I can still pretend like I'm a pro when I race past those damn mountain bikers who try to ride on my route ;)

seriously, tho....there are almost no pro riders at my height, if any....hell, Lance is 6'1" i think and he's a giant out there.

Originally posted by stone61cm
Most pros aren't 6'4", 155 lbs, like I am, but I can still pretend like I'm a pro when I race past those damn mountain bikers who try to ride on my route ;)

seriously, tho....there are almost no pro riders at my height, if any....hell, Lance is 6'1" i think and he's a giant out there.

They used to call Miguel Indurain "Big Mig". He is I think about 6'2" and weighed about 180 lbs when he was in good form. Lance is only about 5'10", which is not small for a cyclist, but not giant either.

Your height and weight sound almost ideal for both time trialing and mountain climbing. You're tall, which is good for time trialing, but you are not heavy, which means you could both stay cool in the mountains and not have much weight to drag up there with you.

Originally posted by sugufish
Not many pros in this forum eh!!!

If there are, they're keeping silent about it. But when you think about it, there aren't a whole lot of cycling pros in the world. The non pros are in the billions, but the pros are in the thousands. So they are a very select group.