Have you ever been hit by a car?

Beastt said:
It seems the thread on getting hit by a car is pretty active but I thought it might be nice to get an idea of how many, or what percentage of riders have been hit.
I think I'm up to 8 collisions with vehicles but none for about 4 years. I have run into a door being opened at the last moment, ouch, some abrasions but otherwise ok. I was hit by a Mercedes from behind as I was signalling to turn left at an intersection, separated collarbone. As they were loading me into the ambulance another driver said I was at fault because I wasn't in the flow of traffic turning left. That was the conclusion by the insurance corporation in our province. After recovering from my injuries I now assert myself in order to get into the flow of traffic turning left .
Another time, 6 weeks later, a pedestrian j-walked just in front of me as I was slowing down near an intersection while doing about 34kph. I bounced off her and crushed my rib cage on the rear bumper of a car that was stopped at the lights. The pedestrian was a mother with two kids . I didn't see her until the last moment but unfortunately I knocked out some of her teeth . Her kids were ok, thank god. I filed a police report and thought I would get sued for sure but nothing ever came of it. I couldn't sleep very well for the next two months and I certainly couldn't laugh or cough.

Other collisions have been with Vans and courier trucks but, lucky for me, these have occurred at low speeds. I am a conscientious cyclist who usually obeys the traffic laws and I always wear a helmet. I am 55 year old and have been cycling for over 45 years so I suppose my accident rate is normal. I ride about 4500 miles per year around Vancouver, BC.

Many years ago I was hit absoluteuly square on by a van at about 9 am in broad daylight when it just drove out of a side road.. The driver couldn't believe what he had done - I think he was daydreaming - he was really shocked and drove me to the hospital. It was in the days before helmets and I landed on my head - it hurt like hell and there was loads of blood. I thought I had fractured my skull but eventually only needed half a dozen stitches. I was off work for a week and got a pittance in damages. The bike was an old steel framed raleigh and was unrepareable because the frame was rather poor quality. Fortunately there was enough money to buy a nice new bike with a 531 frame. The blessing in disguise was that I learnt to appreciate the worth of a decent frame. I can still feel the scar on my head now. A helmet would have prevented it but now that I wear one I never have accidents (touch wood).

I am a school teacher and have been commuting on my Giant Expression to and from school for the last few months.

Last week,I was rolling down a hill and a car rolled past me and then directly in front of me, before slowing down. At the speed I was going and with the distance between me and the car, I had no choice but to try and mount the pavement (I think you Americans call it a sidewalk), but I did so without success and lost control.

I have a bad case of road rash and my shirt was a write-off. Thank goodness that I was wearing my helmet that day; had I not, the head impact with the pavement could have led to serious damage or even my death.

The ******* in the car drove off, but others stopped.

I WILL HENCEFORTH ALWAYS WEAR MY HELMET.

I have had two altercations with cars.
In the first, a woman entered a roundabout as I was going past and collected me square on. I took some air and landed on my head, saved by my helmet and the bike was a bit buggered. She did stop and was insured so everything was not too bad in the end.

Last week I had a young woman turn across me, she was coming from the opposite direction and turned into a side street. I had nowhere to go but into her, over the boot/trunk and onto the road. I broke my scaphoid and the bike frame is toast. She isn't insured but one way or another she will be replacing my custom steel frame. Totally ****** about the 7 weeks in a cast and my new (to me) bike, my first roadie.

elphyn said:
She isn't insured but one way or another she will be replacing my custom steel frame. Totally ****** about the 7 weeks in a cast and my new (to me) bike, my first roadie.

You might want to try a LeMond Zurich when you replace your bike, it is a great bike for the price and one of the few steel frames around these days. Good luck with that, I got mine after a frame-bending fly over the car door in August.

yes they mostly happend when ppl are making a right and not looking right.

P.S i was in the bike lane right where I was suppost to be!

bcwildthing said:
You might want to try a LeMond Zurich when you replace your bike, it is a great bike for the price and one of the few steel frames around these days. Good luck with that, I got mine after a frame-bending fly over the car door in August.
I'll keep it in mind, I've got my eye on a Cinelli genius frame that the LBS said they would swap all the running gear onto. Just have to make sure of the money first..

cheers

Maybe this thread should be "Reasons to wear a helmet".
I was hit by a vehicle that had a brake failure at a red light and collected me on the follow through, that was my bad luck. :eek: The intersection was only a mile from the local hospital and lucky me was brought back to life by medical staff on the way to work, woke up two days latter. I had and still have no memory of the event or much of the pain, but did get back on the bike within two weeks. Seems my head hit something quite solid. This happened in the pre bike helmet days unfortunately. I am still a very cautious cyclist, safety gear and bright colors at all times some think its just that I have poor taste. :D

Just the once, about 2 years ago. Stupid pillock jumped a red light as was crossing a cycle lane crossing. Hit me hard, went through his windscreen then out and onto the road. 3 broken ribs, lacerated back, gashed knees, long cut on my head (thank god for the helmet). Three days unable to get out of bed.

He drove off at high speed, smashed windscreen and all. The police never did find him.

Yes, I've been hit twice both times while commuting home from work. Last time I was going thru town on the way home. I had slowed down for a red light so I wouldn't have to stop, when the light turned green I sped up. One Idiot didn't bother with his turn signal and made a right turn right into me. I layed the bike down and avoided injury or damage to the bike. When the driver flipped me off I kicked a large dent into the door of his toyota. I guess he didn't care since he drove off.

Second time almost the same thing except It was a little old lady in a volkswagon turning into a strip mall. No turn signal ran me into the flower bed in front of the mall. When I pulled the cellphone out to call the police she drove off. Turns out her drivers license was expired and no insurance on the car. Bike was ok and I only had some bruises.

Is being 'doored' considered the same as being hit by a car? If so, I've been hit once. I was cycling in between a parked car and a stationary one when the passenger in the stationary car decided to open her door. Luckily I wasn't cycling too quickly so all was well.

I've accidently bumped into a car's side mirror when trying to squeeze inbetween cars in traffic. Is that considered the same as hitting a car?

I'd say both are the same as hitting a car. You've 'hit' the car, didn't you? :) I've, up till now, run into the back of a car (serious injuries to me), run into a 'scootmobiel' (some kind of lethal weelchair, not really a car but it did wreck my bike!) and had a car run into the back of my bike (serious injury to my poor bike). Not to mention the numerous other crashes you get when growing up riding a bike. I wear a helmet when riding my racing bike of course, but not when commuting to work on my sensible 3-speed Gazelle since that looks really silly. Bicycle helmets are for sports purposes, at least here in Holland.

Erik

Phuong L said:
Is being 'doored' considered the same as being hit by a car? If so, I've been hit once. I was cycling in between a parked car and a stationary one when the passenger in the stationary car decided to open her door. Luckily I wasn't cycling too quickly so all was well.

I've accidently bumped into a car's side mirror when trying to squeeze inbetween cars in traffic. Is that considered the same as hitting a car?

I have not been hit and It is something that is always on the back of mind as most of my riding is on busy streets. The closest I have come so far...I was riding down a poorly lit road and I saw a car sppeding through a parking lot towards the street I was on. I saw the impending collision about to happen so I clamped both brakes hard and stopped before I got to her. She stopped at the street and looked right at me, or so I thought, she was looking up the street to clear her entry but did not see me. I assumed she did see me so I picked my pace up and as a precaution I went further out in to the street...thank god I did becasue she pulled out...I was pounding her hood and pedaling as hard as I could. When she heard the pounding her eyes were as big as saucers. She pulled up next to me and rolled down her window and apologized and asked if I was ok. Granted I was almost at a complete stop and so was she but I think if she would have hit it would ahve messed me up.

As a result of that "near-miss" I invested in some LED's for the front and rear and started wearing my helmet religiously...Since I put the lights on cars give me a very wide bearth and I really have not had much of a problem...knock on wood...

I was hit on thursday (two days ago) by a taxi. I was riding home from the Air Training Corps (americans call them Civil Air patrol i think) at about 10. Anyway i was riding down a hill doing the speed limit (about 30mph) and i was with my friend who was behind me. Half way down i heard horns beeping and my mate shouted my name. Just as i went to look the taxi came up along side me and swiped me (i was later told he did it twice). Its not that he couldn't see me I had dual headlights on the front and a rear light blinking away. I skidded for about 2-3m and very nearly went under his back wheel, While on the floor i heard another car boot it past me (i didn't know it was a taxi at this point) so i thought it was 2 boy racers. My friend had to stop the traffic while i got up and hobbled of the road with my wrote off bike. I knocked on a near by house and got tissues and a drink. I was ****** off because i didn't get the liscence plate number but then a Golf GTI pulls up and he said that he was the second car who raced past me! he chased him to get his liscence plate! he was already on the phone to the police so i i managed to speak to them. Anyway the police went to arrest him, my bike insurance took the taxis details and they're going to charge his insurance company. I am grazed on both elbows and down the right hand side of my body, i damaged my hand and its my college exams now! i had a helmet on (lucky me)

All in all i am very lucky that i didn't break anything, for that matter I am still alive, and im very thankful for my mate! The police recommend I take the bloke to court.

One ,last point, he didn't stop and he drove back up again and the down the hill so he knew he hit me! sorry for the long post.!

Beastt said:
It seems the thread on getting hit by a car is pretty active but I thought it might be nice to get an idea of how many, or what percentage of riders have been hit.
A few years ago this motorist turned sharp left in front of me and I went into him. My bike went under his wheels and I went across his bonnet. He immediately stopped, got out and inspected his car for damage. Then he gave me a false name and address.
In spite of this, I have always found that pedestrians crossing the road are a greater threat than motorists, and I have also been knocked off my bike by another cyclist.
Motorists seem to me to be at their most dangerous when they are parked and getting out of the car. The door gets opened right into the path of any passing cyclist. I have never been "doored" whilest cycling, (it did happen to me when I was just walking past a car once and that hurt like hell for a long time after) but only because I do not ride that close to parked vehicals.

More times than I care to remember. One sticks out though. I was heading to work from Bolton to Horwich and frequently had to go around a fairly long roundabout. Anyway, I got to the junction and there was no traffic at all, so I nailed it through. Just on the left I could see a car coming up and thought he would see me, so I carried on. Next thing this dude is right in front of me and I'm looking at the side of his car. Had no chance of braking in time to avoid hitting him, so I pedalled even harder to get around the front of him before he hit me. That didn't work either. He crashed right into the back of me, sending me flying through the air and sliding about 25-30 feet when I landed. Couple of scratches and bruises. The bike came out worse. Everything on the left hand side was either scratched to death or mangled beyond recognition. I got a new bike out of it anyway.

Never hit by a car.... but hit with a milkshake once, and quite a few close honk-drive bys. It seems like they're always in a pickup truck.

I have been hit twice but, while I was paying marginal attention the first time, the second time was not my fault. Both incidents happened in Washington, DC.

The first time was in 1981(14yrs.-old). I was turning onto Q St. from Foxhall Road. As I was making the turn, I had to go slightly wide because of a parked car on Q St., very close to the corner. As a result of having to make a wide turn, the 80-ish yr.-old lady driving, who was making the same turn, didn't see me(even before we started making the turn) and, as a result, my bike(Sears 10-Speed) ended under her car with, the pedal digging into my foot.:confused:

The second incident happened in 1998(31yrs.-old). I was on Wisconsin Ave., in the Tenleytown neighborhood. At one point an assinine driver hit me from behind which, caused me to fly over the handlebars.:mad:

In both incidents. I did not break a bone.