Have you ever purchased bicycling related items online?

TexasSpoke said:
The virtual marketplace is the future. Brick and mortar stores are needed for personal items and where immediate availability is critical.

-TexasSpoke
I think there will always be the shopper that likes to see the product in person before they buy it.

steve said:
Please take a minute to complete this poll.

regards,

Only good things to say about on-line purchasing!
- supergo.com
- performance cycles
- ebay (big ticket items eg powertap, Dura Ace 7800 group set)

I still go to a LBS (Providence Cycles) who are willing to match most genuine prices - don't like to totally give up on personal service...

As I said earlier in this thread, I've had great experiences (with one exception) with online purchases. One drawback -- if the sizing of an article of clothing gets screwed up (either because I was careless or the warehouse picker misread it) then it's a lot more involved to straighten out. Tomorrow I have to send back two Christmas items to one company and another to a second company. I generally do buy at the LBS, but these both were items they didn't carry.
As this thread seems to keep going, I'll update you in a couple of weeks on how well, or poorly, the return process goes.

I purchaced my computer online at the store to beat the sales tax.

Other then that I have only purchaced advertizing and CDs online.

steve said:
Please take a minute to complete this poll.

regards,
I purchased two lowriders ayear ago and was very satisfied with the transaction. They even sent additional pieces at no charge when I explained that the one fender needed a second brace. I liked them so much, I just ordered a number of new accesories last week.

I even ordered some accesories from a retailer in the States and was only perturbed by the duty-taxes and shipping fees that were beyond their control. I'm not likely to order from outside the country again, as a result.

actually bought my colnago crystal online threw GVHBikes.com. Gary's service was pretty good and the bike got here fully dressed in campy veloce with no problems. i also got all my cycling clothes online which i have to admit was a mistake since i had no idea what sizes to get. i too sympathize with all those dissapointed in their LBS's. none of them ever have anything in stock and then when they order something for you it comes in two weeks after they said it would and then its not even the right part. even my favorite LBS doesnt ever have anything in stock but their service is pretty good, but it sucks when you have to drive over 100 miles to a bike shop because the closest ones dont give a ****. i know a lot of people are against online retailers because they are killing the LBS's but at least the online retailers understand customer service, something that most LBS's couldnt make good on if their lives depended on it.

It is now my preferred method. It's not just cost, but simply a matter of overall satisfaction. Back in the early 90s I had a great local shop (Broadway Bicycles, Tucson). They were very knowledgable and were price competitive. Since then, I've found many shops to be poorly stocked and with personnel that don't know or don't care. (Sorry, my personal observation of those shops I have been to, not an indictment of the entire industry).

Most recently had two problems. Last summer needed a 42A chainring for Ultegra 9. "Oh, that's a special order". (answer from BOTH local shops). Give me a break...the most popular group in the world and one of the most popular sizes? Secondly, I had a problem with my rear wheel of a certain maker. I ordered parts several times. I was very specific and even brought in part numbers. Both times the parts were incorrect. Second time, paid $30 for the wrong axle and only realized when tore wheel apart. Then waited 4 months for them to correct and finally gave up.

Mail order is far from perfect, but if you do most of your own mechanical work, the combination of availability and price can't be beat.

One thing I do NOT agree with is buying parts online/Ebay and then asking shop to install. That is bull. If you are going to use their labor, then buy their parts. It is low class, in my opinion, to buy a frame, fork, and group online and then go to LBS and say "here, build it."

My favorite shops are Price Point and Jensen USA, with Price Point getting the ultimate nod. They almost always ship same day, always use UPS (when I used them) and I have never had any type of problem. Supergo has great prices but customer service is marginal at times. Performance and Nashbar can be very good at times (think they are owned by same company now) but their shipping can be rather slow. They often use USPS for shipping which is a problem due to sketchy tracking (with UPS and Fed Ex Ground you always know where your part is.)

Of the more "bike shop" shops, Excel and Colorado Cyclist seem to stand out. I purchased an entire bike from Excel 4 years ago and was stunned at how good the build was. (Example, purchased a bmx cruiser that was built/boxed in Taiwan and took me 6 hours to get it rebuild correct and wheels properly trued). The Excel bike was spot on out of the box. Brakes, wheel true, everything. I would also have no problem buying from CC because of what I have seen of them.

I use as site called www.bestbikebuys.com to shop for the best prices on parts I am looking for. It searches a lot of sites simultaneously and is of great aid.

Bike shops should be in a better position from a competitive standpoint shortly, as it appears that sales tax on online purchases will be consistenly collected in the near future. But, whether or not they recoup lost sales or still tend to lag depends upon them, in my opinion. Service and price. If shops again provide better overall satisfaction then I'll go back there as my first point.

Unless I'm impulse buying in the LBS (wandering into a LBS is a dangerous thing for me...usually come out with an $80 jersey or shorts) I tend to buy online. Simply for the fact I use the internet to largely help me decide what I want. I have used one online bike shop; Dean Woods because he had what I wanted at considerably less cost than other shops. And yes he runs a LBS so I wasn't putting anyone out of business. The after sales support is another thing. Apart from that, Ebay has been my preferred source only because I could get what I want. (Eg. Trek Y5 eight years after they came out and Shimano PD-M650 pedals likewise). For small low cost generic stuff like saddle bags, computers, tyres, etc, I'll use the LBS. I have always bought clothing from the LBS to make sure it fits and looks how I want; but am learning that any clothing made for Trek always fits perfectly and the sizes are predictable so it is tempting to try online for that as well.

Like some others I bought a complete bike online (Specialized Roubaix Pro). After much research regarding prices, components, reading reviews etc I found what I wanted online (at a bike shop in another state) for 25% cheaper than my local shop charged. I had bought my previous bike from my LBS and went in again hoping to bargain (cash in hand) for a new bike (regular customer etc). The LBS offered me ticket price and threw in a pair of pedals (the Shimano bottom of the range model) to "sweeten the deal". I decided a 25% saving was better than a pair of pedals! The service online was brilliant, many emails getting the right set up, cassette sizing etc. Bike arrived as promised and I have had 4 months of happy riding. I'm now looking to buy a new helmet online because the local shops have a limited range of sizes/colors and they cant tell me when new stock is arriving from the supplier.

Who hasn't? Hmmm.

List of people who haven't bought online:
1 People that get stuff free
2 LBS employees with substantial discounts.
3 The rich who don't want to wait for the brown truck.
4 The few faithful LBS shoppers who like to help the guy out.
5 People afraid of the...WEB

Sorry for offending you.

Ashley3 said:
As I said earlier in this thread, I've had great experiences (with one exception) with online purchases. One drawback -- if the sizing of an article of clothing gets screwed up (either because I was careless or the warehouse picker misread it) then it's a lot more involved to straighten out. Tomorrow I have to send back two Christmas items to one company and another to a second company. I generally do buy at the LBS, but these both were items they didn't carry.
As this thread seems to keep going, I'll update you in a couple of weeks on how well, or poorly, the return process goes.

Here's the first follow-up. I had a great experience with Nashbar, a company I've used a number of times and now plan to rely on (in addition to my local shop, where I also spent some money this weekend). They received the two returned items that didn't fit, promptly sent out the correct sizes and also alerted me by email that they were in the mail. I couldn't ask for a better response than the one I got from Nashbar.
I've yet to hear anything from the other company to which I returned something that didn't fit.
More on them if there are developments -- or if they don't respond at all.

:mad: If you see an ad for Airfree Tires or visit their website and are tempted to order from them, please check them out first with the Better Business Bureau of Altamonte Springs, Florida. I returned their tires in March of 2004 within the 90-day trial period and never received a refund, despite numerous e-mail complaints. During this time, I experienced more than a one-month delay in response to e-mails and a telephone voicemail box that was full and would accept no more messages. The BBB closed my complaint file because the company did not respond to their inquiries either. The owner of this company is Hugh Waters. At the time of my transaction, his supplier was Nu-Teck of Englewood, Colorado. My tires were drop shipped from there, and I was instructed to return them there as well. I've seen a link to AirFree on this cycling forums website. Beware!!

till! said:
Ive bought online a few times, I got most of a bike's componentry from CBO once, but after my last order I dont think Ill go back again. I ordered some pedals and a few other parts and there were some screws missing when the package was delivered, as it had opened in transit. I mailed them back sayingt there were some missing cleat screws, and could they include them in the shipping of the backordered part, but they so far havent responded to a few emails, and the backordered pedal arrived without the extra screw.

till
CBO has to have the worst customer service I have ever encountered. The only reason I bought my frame there was the insanely good deal I got on it. I got my Campy group from www.hammerpilot.com Great prices and even better service.

The other week I used Probikekit, the first time I have shopped out of Australia online for bike stuff. Very impressed with the pricing compared to prices in AUS and the speed with which I got my order was great, from order to delivery = 1 week.

Ashley3 said:
I did have an issue with one company, which I won't name, in part because after I raised the roof they came through splendidly.
(At issue was this: They sent me an email saying they'd shipped two of three items, but the third was on back order. That was fine. When the package arrived, however, the shipping invoice indicated that all three had been shipped, which was not the case. Simple mistake, no? But when I inquired they wanted me to fill out a long form indicating that the item had gone missing in the mail, when their own email contradicted that! I screeched rather loudly and they responded appropriately after some back and forth.)
I posted the above on this thread a while back. At the time I didn't want to be unfair and single a company out by name over one botched transaction, even though I felt they compounded their initial mistake by suggesting that 1) the delivery service was to blame, when clearly it was not, and 2) that the burden of setting right their mistake lay with me. After I raised hell, they resolved the issue promptly.
But now a second problem has occurred, and I'm not feeling as forgiving about it.
I bought items from several online companies during the latter half of last year to give as Christmas gifts. In two cases, they turned out to be the wrong size. So, I packaged both up, with the correct addresses for returns and information required for a return/exchange.
I sent one package back to Nashbar. Within a few days, I received an email indicating that the correct-sized item was in the mail. And it showed up shortly thereafter. Nashbar consistently has been outstanding, in my experience.
The second package went to the same company with which I had the earlier problem. Several weeks have elapsed and I've heard nothing. It seems to me that, at the very least, I should have received a response of some kind. They also have my email address.
I was reminded of their silence and apparent incompetence this morning because they've emailed my their latest sales pitch. Nice stuff, but I can't afford the risk of buying from them, nor can I recommend them to anyone else.
The company is Performance Bicycle.
What sort of experience have others had with them?

I'll agree that Nashbar has always given great service,as well as great deals. Never a problem. I've had good luck with ebay, also. I ordered from JensonUSA several years back, again with no problem. I reckon I'm just lucky all the way around...:D