haven't riden for a year. what maintenance should i do before i ride again?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Zodiacal, May 31, 2003.

  1. Zodiacal

    Zodiacal Guest

    I have a GT avalanche mountain bike that is about 2 years old. I haven't used it for about 1 year.
    what maintenance should I do on it before I ride it again?
    Q: if/when/how should I clean the disc breaks?
    R:

    S: should I just use that liquid wax stuff on the chain instead of oil to lube it up?
    T:

    U: if the tires were sitting for 1 year in room temp should they be ok?
    V:

    W: should i put that wax stuff on the tire axles too?
    X:

    --
    [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Zodiacal

    Zodiacal Guest

    oh yeah one more thing.

    Q: what about the front shocks (there are no rear ones)? should i do anything to those?
    R:

    "Zodiacal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:7d7Ca.964$o%[email protected]...
    > I have a GT avalanche mountain bike that is about 2 years old. I haven't used it for about 1 year.
    > what maintenance should I do on it before I ride it again?
    > Q: if/when/how should I clean the disc breaks?
    >
    > Q: should I just use that liquid wax stuff on the chain instead of oil to lube it up?
    >
    > Q: if the tires were sitting for 1 year in room temp should they be ok?
    > Q:
    >
    > Q: should i put that wax stuff on the tire axles too?

    > [email protected]

  3. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > I have a GT avalanche mountain bike that is about 2 years old. I haven't used it for about 1 year.
    > what maintenance should I do on it before I ride it again?

    Maybe you should take it to your local bike shop and have them check it out.

  4. Zodiacal

    Zodiacal Guest

    i want to learn how tho...

    "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I have a GT avalanche mountain bike that is about 2 years old. I haven't used it for about 1
    > > year. what maintenance should I do on it before I
    ride
    > > it again?
    >
    > Maybe you should take it to your local bike shop and have them check it
    out.

  5. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > > > I have a GT avalanche mountain bike that is about 2 years old. I
    haven't
    > > > used it for about 1 year. what maintenance should I do on it before I
    > ride
    > > > it again?
    > >
    > > Maybe you should take it to your local bike shop and have them check it
    > out.

    > i want to learn how tho...

    That's cool; they'll likely go over the bike with you and point out all the things you should check
    now and before each ride. They will also notice things a little more subtle like rusted pedal,
    headset or other bearings and binding or worn cables, wheels or pads. Wheel truing is an art in
    itself; it's likely your spokes will need attention. Often they won't charge (much) for a service
    unless they actually have to do something - especially if you bought the bike there.

    As far as bike maintenance sites go, http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml is good as
    well as http://www.sheldonbrown.com/beginners/

    But an LBS's experience is usually worth the money.

  6. Oil the chain with whatever you've got and rotate the air in the tires.

  7. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Sat, 31 May 2003 19:17:23 GMT, "Zodiacal" <[email protected]> wrote:

    [snip silly questions]

    Sit your @ss on the bike and pedal!

    Peace, Bill

    :-]