haven't riden for a year. what maintenance should i do before i ride again?

Zodiacal

Guest
I have a GT avalanche mountain bike that is about 2 years old. I haven't used it for about 1 year.
what maintenance should I do on it before I ride it again?
Q: if/when/how should I clean the disc breaks?
R:

S: should I just use that liquid wax stuff on the chain instead of oil to lube it up?
T:

U: if the tires were sitting for 1 year in room temp should they be ok?
V:

W: should i put that wax stuff on the tire axles too?
X:

--
[email protected]

oh yeah one more thing.

Q: what about the front shocks (there are no rear ones)? should i do anything to those?
R:

"Zodiacal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:7d7Ca.964$o%[email protected]...
> I have a GT avalanche mountain bike that is about 2 years old. I haven't used it for about 1 year.
> what maintenance should I do on it before I ride it again?
> Q: if/when/how should I clean the disc breaks?
>
> Q: should I just use that liquid wax stuff on the chain instead of oil to lube it up?
>
> Q: if the tires were sitting for 1 year in room temp should they be ok?
> Q:
>
> Q: should i put that wax stuff on the tire axles too?

> [email protected]

> I have a GT avalanche mountain bike that is about 2 years old. I haven't used it for about 1 year.
> what maintenance should I do on it before I ride it again?

Maybe you should take it to your local bike shop and have them check it out.

i want to learn how tho...

"John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BJ7Ca.1060189$F1.125346@sccrnsc04...
> > I have a GT avalanche mountain bike that is about 2 years old. I haven't used it for about 1
> > year. what maintenance should I do on it before I
ride
> > it again?
>
> Maybe you should take it to your local bike shop and have them check it
out.

> > > I have a GT avalanche mountain bike that is about 2 years old. I
haven't
> > > used it for about 1 year. what maintenance should I do on it before I
> ride
> > > it again?
> >
> > Maybe you should take it to your local bike shop and have them check it
> out.

> i want to learn how tho...

That's cool; they'll likely go over the bike with you and point out all the things you should check
now and before each ride. They will also notice things a little more subtle like rusted pedal,
headset or other bearings and binding or worn cables, wheels or pads. Wheel truing is an art in
itself; it's likely your spokes will need attention. Often they won't charge (much) for a service
unless they actually have to do something - especially if you bought the bike there.

As far as bike maintenance sites go, http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml is good as
well as http://www.sheldonbrown.com/beginners/

But an LBS's experience is usually worth the money.

Oil the chain with whatever you've got and rotate the air in the tires.

On Sat, 31 May 2003 19:17:23 GMT, "Zodiacal" <[email protected]> wrote:

[snip silly questions]

Sit your @ss on the bike and pedal!

Peace, Bill

:-]