headache

clackerz

Jan 2, 2006
Yeah I know - see a doc if the pain persists....
Juz asking to see if anyone else has this problem (hoping I'm not sum sort of freak!)
After a couple of hours from finishing my w/end ride I get this headache that stays with me for most of the day. I thought it might be dehydration, but I drink a bit during the ride and I continue to drink mainly just water for the rest of the day. By the next day it's gone.
So I'm not sure what would be causing this......
I'm not a fan of painkillers etc so I don't usually take any panadol etc, cause then I'm only masking the issue.
If anyone can assist - appreciated!

clackerz said:
Juz asking to see if anyone else has this problem (hoping I'm not sum sort of freak!)
After a couple of hours from finishing my w/end ride I get this headache that stays with me for most of the day. I thought it might be dehydration, but I drink a bit during the ride and I continue to drink mainly just water for the rest of the day. By the next day it's gone.
I'm not a fan of painkillers etc so I don't usually take any panadol etc, cause then I'm only masking the issue.
It could be you've become susceptible to migranes. Stress either physical or mental can bring on a migrane. I suddenly suffered from migranes at 55 but tracked it down to a chocolate allergy. I now seem to have outgrown it.
This of course is just one possibility.
Instead of painkillers try drinking a bottle of coke (diet is OK) when the headache appears, this worked for me. The headches disappeared almost immediately.
Best of luck. TYSON

I suffer from low grade headaches - the entire morning is a headache especially if I don't drink coffee. I drink lots of coffee and sometimes take anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen or acetaminophen. I have been to the doctor twice and complained of continuing and persistent head pain - but the typical response has been to take ibuprofen or tylenol, yada, yada. I also feel like I haven't had any rest after sleeping - I've been to the doctor for that too but there isn't any solution to that problem it seems.

-bikeguy

Sillyoldtwit said:
It could be you've become susceptible to migranes. Stress either physical or mental can bring on a migrane. I suddenly suffered from migranes at 55 but tracked it down to a chocolate allergy. I now seem to have outgrown it.
This of course is just one possibility.
Instead of painkillers try drinking a bottle of coke (diet is OK) when the headache appears, this worked for me. The headches disappeared almost immediately.
Best of luck. TYSON

Yeah, I drink about a bottle of coke a day (or rather, a clone of it, which is cheaper) but I drink the regular one. That's in addition to 2 cups of coffee usually every day. I've inherited by mother's genes more than my dad's - well, I have my dad's body type, but my mother's migraines.

-bikeguy

Your brain runs on sugar I use about 1 or 2 spoonfuls of raw honey in my water bottle to replenish sugar quickly a little more on cooler days because I drink less. I also mix about 1/5 Gatorade with 4/5 water in my bottle for quick mineral replacement.

clackerz said:

Excuse me I seem to have misread the opening poster - you probably have exercise induced migraine/headache. I got this after a hard circuit race - it was extremely painful and I was actually dizzy for a few minutes. It's probably just blood sugar that has really gone down - make sure you eat and drink something right after, preferably a chocolate bar or something like it. Also make sure you eat and drink during your ride - this will keep your blood sugar and fluid levels up. It's also possible you have a more severe medical condition - so check in with the doctor. Mind you most doctors are not really well versed in the effects and problems that hard training can cause or unmask. I'd go with a young doctor, as they're usually (but not always) more keen to help you.

-bikeguy

bikeguy said:
Excuse me I seem to have misread the opening poster - you probably have exercise induced migraine/headache. I got this after a hard circuit race - it was extremely painful and I was actually dizzy for a few minutes. It's probably just blood sugar that has really gone down - make sure you eat and drink something right after, preferably a chocolate bar or something like it. Also make sure you eat and drink during your ride - this will keep your blood sugar and fluid levels up. It's also possible you have a more severe medical condition - so check in with the doctor. Mind you most doctors are not really well versed in the effects and problems that hard training can cause or unmask. I'd go with a young doctor, as they're usually (but not always) more keen to help you.

-bikeguy
But be careful about the chocolate, as chocolate is a well known course of migraines along with red wine and cheese. The way to find out if it's a chocolate allergy is to eat loads of chocky the day before your rest day. If on the rest day you get a headache (i.e. not training induced) Bingo. Also drinking cocoa by the way is a killer for some people. Tyson.

Sillyoldtwit said:
But be careful about the chocolate, as chocolate is a well known course of migraines along with red wine and cheese. The way to find out if it's a chocolate allergy is to eat loads of chocky the day before your rest day. If on the rest day you get a headache (i.e. not training induced) Bingo. Also drinking cocoa by the way is a killer for some people. Tyson.

I must have a different migraine - I have classical systems, flashing lights in a
kaleidoscopic pattern, looks like a moving jigsaw puzzle.. and I can't even see through the part that has the jigsaw puzzle, but usually my headaches aren't accompanied by these. Chocolate, red wine, and cheese have no effect on my headaches.

-bikeguy

This looks like it might help but I've never had chronic migraine headaches so I don't know. http://www.acu-cell.com/dis-hea.html

bikeguy said:
I must have a different migraine - I have classical systems, flashing lights in a
kaleidoscopic pattern, looks like a moving jigsaw puzzle.. and I can't even see through the part that has the jigsaw puzzle, but usually my headaches aren't accompanied by these. Chocolate, red wine, and cheese have no effect on my headaches.

-bikeguy

WOW! Tks all for such a quick and in-depth response - greatly appreciated.
I think it maybe sugar related. I very rarely get headaches full-stop. I am partial to the odd chocky binge and have never got a headache from it. I did have a glass of coke in the evening and woke up w/o the headache.
I will try the gatorade and honey on my next hard training ride (I don't get the headache on my recoveries or shorter training rides.)
Thanks to all the part-time doctors!
If it is sugar related and I try this out and it works - I owe ya!

clackerz said:
I think it maybe sugar related. I very rarely get headaches full-stop. I am partial to the odd chocky binge and have never got a headache from it. I did have a glass of coke in the evening and woke up w/o the headache.
I will try the gatorade and honey on my next hard training ride (I don't get the headache on my recoveries or shorter training rides.)
I found I needed more than 1 glass of coke - I used to drink 4 or 5 half pint glassfuls. Tyson

clackerz said:
It could be the *sodium* and not the sugar in the coke that is taking care of your headache. If I recall correctly there is a fair amount in soda? I get headaches if I drink plain water and even in fairly reasonable amounts - like 64oz/day. I don't eat a lot of pre-made or processed foods and I don't usually add a lot of salt so I need to put an electrolyte supplement in my water even if its not a hard training/racing day. I just do it 1/2 strength for my everyday water.

Eden said:
It could be the *sodium* and not the sugar in the coke that is taking care of your headache. If I recall correctly there is a fair amount in soda? I get headaches if I drink plain water and even in fairly reasonable amounts - like 64oz/day. I don't eat a lot of pre-made or processed foods and I don't usually add a lot of salt so I need to put an electrolyte supplement in my water even if its not a hard training/racing day. I just do it 1/2 strength for my everyday water.
I always drank diet coke which only contains artificial sweeteners with 0 calories.
Personally I don't think it's the sugar or sodium - something to do with the effervescence plus whatever they put in coke. TYSON

bikeguy said:
I suffer from low grade headaches - the entire morning is a headache especially if I don't drink coffee. I drink lots of coffee and sometimes ...
-bikeguy
That sounds like classic caffeine withdrawal. Maybe you should quit coffee entirely. Is there a reason your doctor hasn't recommended this?

+1 on possible caffeine withdrawal symptoms.
Also: some headache medication (for example, excedrin) contains caffeine. The reason being, caffeine dilates blood vessels, which would also help alleviate the pressure you feel in your head when you have a headache (besides the effect of the medication itself, of course). soft drinks which have caffeine, I suspect, would have a similar effect, providing some relief from headaches.

j.r.hawkins said:
That sounds like classic caffeine withdrawal. Maybe you should quit coffee entirely. Is there a reason your doctor hasn't recommended this?

Maybe.. except that I just started drinking coffee 6 months ago and I had the headaches well before that. I'm on the second cup as I write this..

-bikeguy

I'm a coffee drinker - only about 2 cups per day & very rarely any caffine drinks.

All signs are pointing to sugar/sodium intake?
I'm not big on sugar itself, but I have been thinking since starting this thread with everyones input. I do crave a bit of sugar (soft drink, lollies etc) when I return from a hard ride, but I never put the 2 together.
I've always viewed the sugar intake to be on the bad side and tried to keep it minimal.
So on my next ride I'll include some type of sugar intake during my ride and at the end and see how I feel.
What does anyone else here eat/drink on their rides that have sugar in it?