headsets, etc

NateyWatey

Feb 20, 2007
alright this might be kind of a noob-ish question so don't kill me for asking......but I have a 1" threaded headset on my s-works and I want to know what other kinds of headsets are out there, which sizes will fit my headtube, etc. WHAT CAN I UPGRADE TO THAT IS NOT THREADED? and is there a way to make a 1 1/8" headset fit my frame?

basically my reason for wanting a new headset is that I'm sick of quill-style stems and how gay they look. I also want to upgrade to a carbon fork and most of them out there are threadless nowadays.

p.s. what does "threadless" mean anyway?

The best thing you could do is go to your local bike shop and ask him to look at a bike with a a head set up thay are completely differant and thay are two ways of putting pre load onto your bearings .

What yoou need is a "Converter for ahead stem alloy, from 22.2mm to 28.6mm:"

NateyWatey said:
p.s. what does "threadless" mean anyway?
no, you can't make a 1"1/8 headset fit your frame.

A threaded fork literally has a thread at the top of the fork steerer tube, onto which a threaded headset screws. A threadless steerer is just a bare 'pipe'.

If you just wanna get rid of your stem, a much cheaper option is just to get a threadless stem adaptor, which sits in the threaded fork the same way a quill stem does, then you clamp a threadless stem to it. This way you get to keep your current forks and headset

tstem-adapt.JPG

but, if you want new forks......

There are heaps of 1" forks out there, and plenty of 1" headsets that will fit your frame.

If you go threadless, there's a slight chance you'll need new bars along with the fork, headset and stem, because some of the old quill stems have a different diameter to the new ones