headsets, etc

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by NateyWatey, Feb 20, 2007.

1. NateyWatey

NateyWatey New Member

alright this might be kind of a noob-ish question so don't kill me for asking......but I have a 1" threaded headset on my s-works and I want to know what other kinds of headsets are out there, which sizes will fit my headtube, etc. WHAT CAN I UPGRADE TO THAT IS NOT THREADED? and is there a way to make a 1 1/8" headset fit my frame?

basically my reason for wanting a new headset is that I'm sick of quill-style stems and how gay they look. I also want to upgrade to a carbon fork and most of them out there are threadless nowadays.

p.s. what does "threadless" mean anyway?

Tags:

2. bigkev

bigkev New Member

The best thing you could do is go to your local bike shop and ask him to look at a bike with a a head set up thay are completely differant and thay are two ways of putting pre load onto your bearings .

3. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

What yoou need is a "Converter for ahead stem alloy, from 22.2mm to 28.6mm:"

4. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

no, you can't make a 1"1/8 headset fit your frame.

A threaded fork literally has a thread at the top of the fork steerer tube, onto which a threaded headset screws. A threadless steerer is just a bare 'pipe'.

If you just wanna get rid of your stem, a much cheaper option is just to get a threadless stem adaptor, which sits in the threaded fork the same way a quill stem does, then you clamp a threadless stem to it. This way you get to keep your current forks and headset

[​IMG]

but, if you want new forks......

There are heaps of 1" forks out there, and plenty of 1" headsets that will fit your frame.

If you go threadless, there's a slight chance you'll need new bars along with the fork, headset and stem, because some of the old quill stems have a different diameter to the new ones