Helmet brands

MET 5th Element - loads of holes give awesome ventilation. And the other day it stopped me from spending a few days in intensive care when I landed on my head at speed.

i use a (bright yellow) Bell Ghisallo that i got for $65 new.
it's an awesome helmet and i'm happy with my purchase, other than feeling like i have to color-coordinate with it.
anyways, like everyone says, it really comes down to what major brand fits your head the best. the Ghisallo is a good fit on me, especially with the "GPS" retention system, but i found that the Specialized S1 and Briko helmets fit my head like a glove. too bad they were substantially more expensive.

Originally posted by pjodonnell
i use a (bright yellow) Bell Ghisallo that i got for $65 new.
it's an awesome helmet and i'm happy with my purchase, other than feeling like i have to color-coordinate with it.
anyways, like everyone says, it really comes down to what major brand fits your head the best. the Ghisallo is a good fit on me, especially with the "GPS" retention system, but i found that the Specialized S1 and Briko helmets fit my head like a glove. too bad they were substantially more expensive.
I've got the exact same helmet, same color, same sale price. Great value, fits nice, makes me look like a slow, yellow-headed Tyler.

yes were is MET the MET Stradivarius is a very good and airy helemet. i would use nohting less then a MET.

I have a couple of cheapish helmets ($50 can't even remember the brands) that are comfortable, fit well and provide good air circulation but have one problem that is annoying. They have soft foam strips inside running length ways that all end at the front on the top of my forehead. When climbing long hills on hot days, these foam strips seem to act like wicks and bring all my perspiration forward to drip down my forehead and onto my sunglasses.

Other helmets I've looked at seem to have the same arrangement. Is there something available that perhaps has a small gutter/drain to shed perspiration sideways or perhaps lateral padding strips?

Pat

[a] One that FITS
... and is on sale

That said, I use a Bell Ghisallo. Think I paid ~$60-65 for it. Love it. Whatever you use, wash it frequently. Get all the salt off of the straps and pads.

Best.

I bought the Giro Pneumo online. I bought the red/whit/blue version it because it looks cool and was on sale. I was happy (and lucky) that if fit well when it arrived in the mail. But if it didn't fit well, at least I would have looked cool.;)

I have two Catlike's. Same helmet Phonak uses. Lightest helmet on the market and I really like the style. And it's what my team wears.:)

I saw a post on here about "a helmet is just a helmet," with which I disagree. I don't want to skimp on something that could be the difference between life and death. I used to buy only Bell, but the higher end Giro helmets are a perfect fit. You get what you pay for.:cool:

Like many people said, the best helmet is whatever fits your melon the best and is most comfortable to you. That being said, I have used Specialized and Bell in the past, but have found that over the last two years the Giro helmets seem to feel better on my head, and help to keep it cooler (used Pneumo and currently, Atmos). Its too bad that local retailers don't carry more, as I'd like to compare some. No chance of finding MET and some others. Even catlike is hard to find around here (I had a dealer tell me just a few months ago that catlike didn't make a s/m size helmet yet....hrrmmph :mad: ).

Jeff

Giro - because they were the only sponsor who stayed by Lance during his fight with cancer. Also their helmets fit me nicely :)

ccorrick said:
In your opintion, taking in account all aspects of a helmet, which brand performs the best? I'm talking road helmets.

I'm not sure who makes helmets for who, so some of these may not be manufacturers? I need a new one, and have only ever used Giro, so wanted to see some opintions.
I used to have a Limar and really really liked it but the giro was a lot lighter and had better ventleation (the Giro Penomo)

martin_j001 said:
Like many people said, the best helmet is whatever fits your melon the best and is most comfortable to you...
Jeff
My feelings exactly. I recently purchased a new helmet. I tried on every one I could get my hands on. In the end, I ended up with the same brand of helmet I've always used...a Specialized.

Hi,

Limar great looking (extremely expensive!) Bianchi helmet. Believe the type is F104 or F107. After the very first 1 hour drive I put the helmet on my desk just to enjoy looking at it. To my amazement I discovered that the helmet had dropped apart into pieces..... :mad: :mad: :mad:

Helmet was replaced by another helmet. They claimed they didn't have a Bianchi helmet any more. So they offered a f**king Limar helmet instead of money back guarantee.

The new Limar helmet dropped apart after half a year because the poor quality metal parts couldn't stand salty sweat (rusted into pieces completely). Also those were peplaced (however not with a smile, eventhough I had to make long trips up and down towards the importer every time).

Regards, B.

I have gone through a number of helmets over the years. On most, since I sweat profusely, eventually the foam pieces fall off or the nylon covering of the foam wears out. I looked at how helmets were put together and chose a Giro model becaue I saw it would last longer. The biggest probelm I've had is those types of foam inserts that are attached to the plastic piece that is inside the foam helmet. The Giro model I have has one big nylon covered foam insert that is attached to the foam shell rather than the plastic insert. For all the soaking that helmet I have in it, the helmet is still in great shape.

As far as fit and comfort I have no complaint with other brands on that point. I was fed up with how quickly the Bell helmets I've had wore out.

There are quality differences among helmets. The important qualities in my book are value, longevity and comfort.

ccorrick said:
In your opintion, taking in account all aspects of a helmet, which brand performs the best? I'm talking road helmets.

I'm not sure who makes helmets for who, so some of these may not be manufacturers? I need a new one, and have only ever used Giro, so wanted to see some opintions.
Whatever is on sale. Find the best deal and run with it. I have a Bell Gishallo for the road and a LG Wings for the MTB. Both on sale at about 1/2 off. LOVE em both.

ccorrick said:

I had a no name helmet from Canadian tire, it was good and saved my head, I also had a Bell that was also good. I now have a Shcwinn (sp?) and it looks like a knock off of a giro or Trek helmet. It fits well and the martial seems to be of higher standards, also much more cooler (temp wise) than my Bell.