Helmet Recommendations

John Kimmel

Guest
Any recommendations for a helmet with visor that works with recumbents?
My visor doesn't go low enough to keep the sun out of my eyes.
--
J Kimmel
[email protected]

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - When you have
their full attention in your grip, their hearts and minds will follow.

John Kimmel wrote:

> Any recommendations for a helmet with visor that works with recumbents?
> My visor doesn't go low enough to keep the sun out of my eyes.

Are you looking for a helmet with a "bill" type visor or one with a
transparent shield that covers the upper portion of the face?

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

John Kimmel said:
Any recommendations for a helmet with visor that works with recumbents?
My visor doesn't go low enough to keep the sun out of my eyes.
--
J Kimmel
[email protected]
www.metalinnovations.com

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - When you have
their full attention in your grip, their hearts and minds will follow.
John forget about the visor it will make you look like a dork. What are you trying to do make us all look bad?

Bill visor. I have to rotate my helmet down below my eyebrows to get
any protection from the sun.

Tom Sherman wrote:
> John Kimmel wrote:
>
>> Any recommendations for a helmet with visor that works with
>> recumbents? My visor doesn't go low enough to keep the sun out of my
>> eyes.

> Are you looking for a helmet with a "bill" type visor or one with a
> transparent shield that covers the upper portion of the face?

--
J Kimmel
[email protected]
www.metalinnovations.com

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - When you have
their full attention in your grip, their hearts and minds will follow.

I got one of those visors made for a kayaking helmet, at REI, and then just
used it on my old helmet. Works much better than the visored helmets, which
are made for upright riders anyway (and therefore don't provide the best
protection from the sun in a recumbent postion). The visor is called a
"Salamander" and attaches to the helmet with velcro. It looks dorky as
hell, which is another plus of course.

--
--Scott
news:[email protected]...

John Kimmel wrote:
> Any recommendations for a helmet with visor that works with recumbents?
> My visor doesn't go low enough to keep the sun out of my eyes.

Standard cotton cycling cap with the peak in the "normal" position
(rather than snapped up a la roadie) is fine for this (at least it is on
my Streetmachine GT). I don't bother with a helmet any more (I did some
fairly extensive reading and found out the chances of one saving me
anything major are negligible), but a cotton cap will fit underneath one
okay, maybe with a bit of the velcro-on padding taken out.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

"John Kimmel" <[email protected]> wrote
> Bill visor. I have to rotate my h*lm*t down below my eyebrows
> to get any protection from the sun.

None of the OEM h*lm*t visors I've seen seem to be long
enough.

Wearing a ball cap under the h*lm*t as suggested by Peter
is one option. Extending the visor is another.

I added a foam extension to mine. Thin closed-cell foam
material (1/8th inch thick) is available at arts and crafts
stores. This foam sheet material is soft and flexible, and
won't be stiff enough on its own to stand up/out. Cut it
to shape and hot glue it to the under side of the OEM
visor. It needs only extend the visor by half an inch or so.

Darker colors are probably better, but the foam is available
in many colors to match the h*lm*t. It's small enough that
it doesn't detract from the appearance, in my opinion, but
then I wear over the glasses style sunglasses that my kids
say are far from stylish! %^P

Jon Meinecke

> > Any recommendations for a helmet with visor that works with recumbents?
> > My visor doesn't go low enough to keep the sun out of my eyes.

I use a Bell Influx. However, I still can get sun in my eyes at times,
requiring me to tilt the helmet down which then interferes with my
rear view mirror use.

> I don't bother with a helmet any more (I did some
> fairly extensive reading and found out the chances of one saving me
> anything major are negligible),

In some 20,000 miles of cycling I've never had anything happen where
my helmet was a factor. On a recumbent, I feel even less vulnerable.
Still, I always wear a helmet since it holds my mirror (a very
valuable safety device) and gives one less excuse to the hostile
drivers ("it was his fault I ran him off the road since he wasn't
even wearing a helmet <chew><spit>").

"116" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > Any recommendations for a helmet with visor that works with

recumbents?
> > > My visor doesn't go low enough to keep the sun out of my eyes.

This is something I have wondered about ever since riding a
recumbent--why couldn't some company make a helmet with a real visor.
I sent an email to Giro and Bell but got no response. My wife wears a
baseball cap under her helmet. When we go in someplace she keeps the
hat on to hide her messed up hair. I bought a plastic visor, the kind
golfers use. It has just the visor and two plastic "wings" on the
side. I then glued the visor to the front of my helmet. It's the
same color as the helmet (black), and looks pretty good. You can get
the visors in a dollar store or craft store.

Good luck!

Michael

I've never been able to make a baseball or cycling cap work for me,
even on my uprights. The bill just didn't extend far enough from under
the helmet to keep the sun out of my eyes.

Accessory visors for many different sports and activities are available
from many suppliers. Tennis, golf, rafting, running.
My cheap and simple solution: cut the extra long bill off one of those
weird baseball caps. They're free at some events or dirt cheap at
thrift stores. A strip of Velcro and it's easy on-off.

Those flashy aero helmets are next to useless on a recumbent, IMNSHO.
You're just paying for style and design that serve little function. You
want a good fit, comfortable straps, secure closure, easy adjustment
for a balaclava or head wrap, ventilation appropriate for your climate
and maybe a rear head lock.

I wear a simple BMX-style helmet on my TE. It's well-built protection
and very retro. It gets noticed, "Where'd you get the old helmet?"

david boise id