Help needed finding Time cleats

hippie

Sep 9, 2010
Hi

I just Purchased a 1990 lemond Team z, bike with Time Criterium pedals. I know these are old Pedals but i would like to use them to keep everything vintage with my new Bike if possible. Does anyone know were i can find cleats, or if it is even still possible to find them ?. Thank you Mike

This series? With free spare pedals

Used? $15 Dollah: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Time-Criterium-Le-Defi-Clipless-Road-Pedals-BioPosition-13mm-Made-in-France-/330747444062?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d02157b5e

Or the older series with 2-piece cleats and proprietary Time shoes required? Dang, those were around in the 80's IIRC. The 2-piece cleats are tough to find, I'm sure. They were difficult to adjust and difficult to walk on.

My guess is that either the metal or plastic Time vintage cleats are going to be hard to find. For new condition cleats...and with the way Time cleats wore down fairly quickly in plastic I would want a new pair, myself...you might try some of the older cycling shops like the Yellow Jersey or Branford Bike (despite their fire and loss of much old stock). Those older businesses can sometimes dig up exactly what you need.

Ah the Time crit pedals - I'm surprised those don't have square bearings in them by now :p You'll need the Time TBT cleats. I might have a very worn set somewhere... The crit pedals were a e and offered lots of cornering clearance and were as tough as nails. Mine lived a life of hell and looked as bad as you might expect...

Thank you very much for your help. I just bought a Brand new set of these from this same seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TIME-EQUIPE-sprint-criterium-cleats-PRO-MAGNESIUM-plate-PEDAL-adapters-sidi-/360465727275?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53ed6e7f2b

The seller said these will work on any Look style shoe. I paid $40 for the new Plates & $10.00 for the new Cleats.

Just an FYI: The newer Speedplay specific shoes have the same drilling as the old TBT Time shoes did. So if you're in the market for some new shoes and want to ditch the adapter plate that'd be an option.