HELP! New to cycling, but what bike do I buy?

Smacer

Sep 30, 2009
Hi all

I've spent the last 2 years doing long distance running. However, the pounding to my back has taken its toll. Thus I'm keen to start long distance road cycling. However, can anybody out there advice me on what bike to get? I'm thinking cos I'm a beginner that my potential costs would be around the £300-£400 mark?

Any ideas?

Smacer said:
Hi all

I've spent the last 2 years doing long distance running. However, the pounding to my back has taken its toll. Thus I'm keen to start long distance road cycling. However, can anybody out there advice me on what bike to get? I'm thinking cos I'm a beginner that my potential costs would be around the £300-£400 mark?

Any ideas?

Search this forum, grasshopper, and acquire a little bit of knowledge. No sense in re-inventing the wheel in this regard...

You can't go wrong with most of the well-known brands.
Stay at the top end of your price range.
Try to negotiate a bike fit be included with your bike purchase as this will be the most important aspect as to whether or not you get enjoyment out of road biking, especially the "long distance" variety. If you can't get one included, pay for one.

You could always go used and get much more bike for less money. This way, you can afford a decent used bike that will help you figure out if you're enjoying the sport better than a low-end bike would.
Smacer said:
Hi all

Any ideas?