Help - powertap problem makes me want to smoke crack

Phil S

Sep 14, 2003
Any pointers appreciated... in the meantime I have also emailed Saris and am awaiting a response.

I own a Powertap 2.4SL. I've had the unit since May, purchased from a dealer in the US and shipped to me in the UK. I have had no problems at all until this week.
The problem became apparent during a ride on Friday when I suddenly lost wattage readings, though heart rate continued to display. I assumed the batteries needed to be changed in the hub. I did this when I got home and sure enough it seemed fine.
However, the next ride on Saturday the wattage kept dropping off - I was just getting the swirly searching signal, then dashes, then a reading would flicker back for a bit but not stay on. I returned home and checked the batteries were properly seated and then spun the wheel for a good couple of minutes - no drop out of reading.
Then Sunday I was on the indoor trainer and all was fine until half an hour in when I lost power readings altogether. I have not done any further checking of the batteries or anything else since this latest incident.

I should just add that the hub has a new set of Silver Oxide batteries, the computer head unit has a new battery and the heart rate strap has a new battery.

I never thought I'd say it but I find the idea of being left without a powermeter hard to bear :(

Phil S said:
Any pointers appreciated... in the meantime I have also emailed Saris and am awaiting a response.

I should just add that the hub has a new set of Silver Oxide batteries, the computer head unit has a new battery and the heart rate strap has a new battery.
Are you sure they were good replacements?

Phil S said:
I never thought I'd say it but I find the idea of being left without a powermeter hard to bear :(
You'll get over it. ;)

Phil S said:
Ditto what Alex said.
Try a new set, maybe from a different store.

Thanks for the replies guys. I've only just started riding again after a couple of months hardly looking at the bike because I've been busy getting our apartment ready for a new baby (a real one rather than a new bike). Being without data seems strangely scary, even if it's only to find out how **** I've got through doing lots of running and not much riding.
I had put one new set of batteries in the hub a few days ago, but they were spares that have been in my kit bag since about late May so maybe somehow compromised? Then after the first occurence of the problem I bought a new set from a camera shop and that set also went funny on me... I'll get some more batteries from a different brand - any reccommendations?

Phil S said:
get some more batteries from a different brand - any reccommendations?
I wouldn't worry so much about the brand as I would the freshness.
Try to locate a set from someone that sells them regularly, instead of someone who is likely to keep them on the shelf for an extended period.

Haven't dabbled with the crack yet, but one more day and I'll be tempted...
Good tip about battery freshness. The last one I bought, the lady didn't have a clue about the batteries and she did say they hardly sell any.

Phil S said:
Haven't dabbled with the crack yet, but one more day and I'll be tempted...
Good tip about battery freshness. The last one I bought, the lady didn't have a clue about the batteries and she did say they hardly sell any.
And just be sure they're the right ones!!

Validate the type from the manual. If you had incorrect batteries in the first place and are replacing with same.....

I had a client do that and I've accidentally purchased wrong type myself (although that was for the older PT).

Yeah, still having probs. Have been through three new sets of silver oxides, from different retailers and different but reputable brands, although I thought the suggestion of a 'stale' set of batteries might've been a nice theory. I am now just resigned to sending the flipping thing back to the US. Just wondering if this is a sign of things to come?

Phil S said:
Yeah, still having probs. Have been through three new sets of silver oxides, from different retailers and different but reputable brands, although I thought the suggestion of a 'stale' set of batteries might've been a nice theory. I am now just resigned to sending the flipping thing back to the US. Just wondering if this is a sign of things to come?
Yea, get it repaired before it interferes with your training any further.
I had two of the SLs. I sent one back for moisture once. No issues since.
The other has been bomb proof.

Best of luck!