HELP: Where To Put Spare Tire

On Jun 7, 4:02 pm, John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 14:23:45 -0700 (PDT), [email protected] wrote:
> >Here are the blown-out tire and tube, with a loop of tube stuck
> >between the destroyed casing and the exposed Kevlar bead:

> >http://i19.tinypic.com/53r4dp0.jpg

> Dude,
>
> If I show you a picture of a pair of handlebars damaged on a ride,
> does that mean you'll carry a spare set of bars
>
> Cheers

Dear John,

Nope.

I can easily replace a ruined tire and tube in a few minutes by the
side of the road with a pump and my bare hands.

I fix flats so often that I carry four spare tubes and a small Park
glueless patch kit. I've only had to use the patch kit once, but it
was worth having because it saved me a six mile walk.

I've used my spare tire several times. It's easy to use.

Replacing a handlebar with brakes and shifters would be much more
trouble than fixing a flat tire.

Besides, the spare tire rolls up and fits nicely in the seat bag just
visible on the upper right:

http://i18.tinypic.com/4t9hswg.jpg

Where do you plan to carry a spare handlebar?

:)

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 15:30:13 -0700 (PDT), [email protected] wrote:

>I fix flats so often that I carry four spare tubes and a small Park
>glueless patch kit.

That sucks.

On Jun 7, 11:04 am, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am riding a TREK Madone 5.2, full carbon fibre bike.  I keep two spare
> tubes and tools inside my saddle bag, it is now full.
>
> Where on my bike should I keep a spare tire in case one breaks, I have seen
> it happen to fellow riders.  Maybe I can strap one on to the back Stays
> above the rear tire ?
>
> I am wide open to suggestions.

Ignore all these insensitive people who don't
understand the needs of serious Madone riders
such as yourself.

You can carry a folded spare tire under the seat bag
or in the second bottle cage if you don't have two
bottles. Lots of people don't get the folding trick.
You can fold it so as to both place the glued sides
against each other and make a nice squared-off
bundle. It's easier to show than do, so here is a
picture:
http://www.ucolick.org/~bjw/misc/rbt/tirefold.jpg
This is an old cyclocross tire, a road tire would fold
up smaller.

Then you use a toe strap to secure it under the
seat bag or in the bottle cage. Of course, for
maximum style, use a leather toe strap. Nylon
ones are gauche.

Ben

P.S. You ride sewups, right? And have toe straps?

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (A R:nen) wrote:

> "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > Where on my bike should I keep a spare tire in case one breaks, I have seen
> > it happen to fellow riders.

> Around the waist as per UCI regulations for Masters Fatties.

Those regs also spec that MFs must wear their bibs outside the shirt.

--
tanx,
Howard

The bloody pubs are bloody dull
The bloody clubs are bloody full
Of bloody girls and bloody guys
With bloody murder in their eyes

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

In article <[email protected]>,
Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote:

> I carry a single tube and a patch kit.
> For tire repair I carry a section of
> tubular casing and a hunk of... duct
> tape. I've never run over anything that
> damaged a tire beyond booting with one
> of those two.

The tubular casing works great as a boot but I've also used a folded dollar bill.
The duct tape idea is a good one too.

--

<[email protected]> wrote in message
On Jun 7, 11:04 am, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am riding a TREK Madone 5.2, full carbon fibre bike. I keep two spare
> tubes and tools inside my saddle bag, it is now full.
>
> Where on my bike should I keep a spare tire in case one breaks, I have
> seen
> it happen to fellow riders. Maybe I can strap one on to the back Stays
> above the rear tire ?
>
> I am wide open to suggestions.

Ignore all these insensitive people who don't
understand the needs of serious Madone riders
such as yourself.

You can carry a folded spare tire under the seat bag
or in the second bottle cage if you don't have two
bottles. Lots of people don't get the folding trick.
You can fold it so as to both place the glued sides
against each other and make a nice squared-off
bundle. It's easier to show than do, so here is a
picture:
http://www.ucolick.org/~bjw/misc/rbt/tirefold.jpg
This is an old cyclocross tire, a road tire would fold
up smaller.

Then you use a toe strap to secure it under the
seat bag or in the bottle cage. Of course, for
maximum style, use a leather toe strap. Nylon
ones are gauche.

Ben

P.S. You ride sewups, right? And have toe straps?

clipless, I started cycling in 1990, toe straps were on their way out then.
I will have to take a look at my saddle and see if I can tuck a spare tire
under it. I hadn't considered that.

"Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
>> On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 14:50:34 -0500, "BobT"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Buy why? You have a bike with a retail price of nearly $4,000 will all
>>> kinds of compromises to make it extremely light for full out racing. It
>>> you want to keep with the philosophy of your bike's design (carbon
>>> fiber, non-standard seat post, ultra-light wheels, ultra-light racing
>>> tires etc. get rid of the tubes, carry only a patch kit, a single CO2
>>> cartridge, and a minimalist tool kit (or maybe no tools).

>> Not quite. Typically, serious racers have a pump, a couple tire irons
>> and a couple tubes for long training rides. Little or no tools.

> If you are riding with a group someone will have a pump. Let
> some other sucker weigh down their bike with a pump while
> you groove on the ultra light weight of your Madone.
>
> If you are riding by yourself your tool kit should be a cell
> phone so you can call your girlfriend to come get you.
>
> If you people can't be serious don't even bother responding.
>
> Bob Schwartz

Unfortunately, there is a lot of junvenile minds on this ng :)

"Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Unfortunately, there is a lot of junvenile minds on this ng :)

Your question is a bit juvenile don't you think? You can't figure out where
to put a spare tire on your bicycle? I've been back riding for 25 years and
I've needed a tire once. And I was within a block of a bike shop about to
open. And I put in more than 5,000 miles a year.

If you are that nervous about a spare tire I would have thought that you'd
already have figured out a couple of ways: a) you carry it in your center
back pocket like the sewup people do. b) You tape it between the seat rails
and above the seat pack. c) You put it inside a dummy water bottle in the
second water bottle mount. Is this rocket science?

Howard Kveck wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I carry a single tube and a patch kit.
>> For tire repair I carry a section of
>> tubular casing and a hunk of... duct
>> tape. I've never run over anything that
>> damaged a tire beyond booting with one
>> of those two.

> The tubular casing works great as a boot but I've also used a folded dollar bill.
> The duct tape idea is a good one too.

I've used the dollar successfully /and/ not-so-successfully. On my most
recent try, the tube punched through four layers, with only about a
3-5mm slit in the tire casing. I wonder if the latest currency is using
more fragile paper.

Clif bar wrappers, however, are nearly indestructible. I keep an
/empty/ one in my seat bag at all times.

Mark J.

On Jun 7, 5:19 pm, Mark <[email protected]> wrote:

> I've used the dollar successfully /and/ not-so-successfully. On my most
> recent try, the tube punched through four layers, with only about a
> 3-5mm slit in the tire casing. I wonder if the latest currency is using
> more fragile paper.

Haven't you been paying attention? The dollar is weak compared to
other currencies.

On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 16:29:10 -0700, Howard Kveck
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I carry a single tube and a patch kit.
>> For tire repair I carry a section of
>> tubular casing and a hunk of... duct
>> tape. I've never run over anything that
>> damaged a tire beyond booting with one
>> of those two.

> The tubular casing works great as a boot but I've also used a folded dollar bill.
>The duct tape idea is a good one too.

A piece of tyvek, such as from an express mail shipping pouch or race
number is good too.

On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 17:28:39 -0700 (PDT), Robert Chung
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Jun 7, 5:19 pm, Mark <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I've used the dollar successfully /and/ not-so-successfully. On my most
>> recent try, the tube punched through four layers, with only about a
>> 3-5mm slit in the tire casing. I wonder if the latest currency is using
>> more fragile paper.

>Haven't you been paying attention? The dollar is weak compared to
>other currencies.

POTM

In article <[email protected]>,
"Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am riding a TREK Madone 5.2, full carbon fibre bike. I keep two spare
> tubes and tools inside my saddle bag, it is now full.
>
> Where on my bike should I keep a spare tire in case one breaks, I have seen
> it happen to fellow riders. Maybe I can strap one on to the back Stays
> above the rear tire ?
>
> I am wide open to suggestions.

Carry some thin, high tensile strength material for a tire boot;
such as a dollar bill or some of that envelope material that
does not tear. Carry a cellular telephone and store the taxi
service telephone numbers. Leave the tire at home.

Or stuff a folding tire in the seat rails.

--
Michael Press

"Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello,
>
> I am riding a TREK Madone 5.2, full carbon fibre bike. I keep two spare
> tubes and tools inside my saddle bag, it is now full.
>
> Where on my bike should I keep a spare tire in case one breaks, I have
> seen it happen to fellow riders. Maybe I can strap one on to the back
> Stays above the rear tire ?
>
> I am wide open to suggestions.
>
> Thank you

If I was to attach the tire to the back of my downtube under the saddle,
what would be the best way to keep it in place. I wouldn't want to use
ductape, I am not sure how to keep it in place to ensure it does not fall
off or come loose.

Thanks

On Jun 7, 12:04 pm, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am riding a TREK Madone 5.2, full carbon fibre bike. I keep two spare
> tubes and tools inside my saddle bag, it is now full.
>
> Where on my bike should I keep a spare tire in case one breaks, I have seen
> it happen to fellow riders. Maybe I can strap one on to the back Stays
> above the rear tire ?
>
> I am wide open to suggestions.
>
> Thank you

If it is a Kevlar bead tire, make an 8 with it. Slide one of your arms
into one of the loops, pass the tire behind your back and then slide
the other arm through the other loop. You will look like Pancho Villa,
or a hip oldie cyclist. Otherwise, do that with your spare tubes, and
put the tire inside your saddle bag. You really don't need to carry
spare tires. Just carry dollar bills that you can use to make a boot
if the tire breaks. For major disasters you need a cell phone and a
relative or good friend with a car.

Andres

Maple Tree wrote:

> Unfortunately, there is a lot of junvenile minds on this ng :)

We know you are but what are we?!?

:p

[email protected] wrote:
> On Jun 7, 12:04 pm, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am riding a TREK Madone 5.2, full carbon fibre bike. I keep two spare
>> tubes and tools inside my saddle bag, it is now full.
>>
>> Where on my bike should I keep a spare tire in case one breaks, I have seen
>> it happen to fellow riders. Maybe I can strap one on to the back Stays
>> above the rear tire ?
>>
>> I am wide open to suggestions.
>>
>> Thank you

> Dear M,
>
> I see a lot of replies about how you don't need a spare tire, just a
> tire boot, which should handle any problem.
>
> A boot can fix some things, but . . .
>
> I carry a spare Kevlar-bead tire rolled up in my seat bag (the four
> spare tubes are in my frame triangle bag).
>
> I was delighted to have that spare tire handy when my rear tire crept
> off the rim because I dragged my rear brake at low speed down a long
> hill:
>
> http://i18.tinypic.com/4t9hswg.jpg

Yuck.

Yeah, there's a lot of roads around here where you have to be really
careful about some of the long, steep descents to not blow out your tire.

Sometimes I wish for a disc brake on a road bike. My tandem has a rear
drum drag brake, but it's really too heavy for a road bike.

REI had one road bike with disc brakes, but it seems to have been
discountinued,
"http://web.archive.org/web/20070427113144/http://www.rei.com/product/744808"

On Jun 7, 2:04 pm, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am riding a TREK Madone 5.2, full carbon fibre bike. I keep two spare
> tubes and tools inside my saddle bag, it is now full.
>
> Where on my bike should I keep a spare tire in case one breaks, I have seen
> it happen to fellow riders. Maybe I can strap one on to the back Stays
> above the rear tire ?
>
> I am wide open to suggestions.
>
> Thank you

Wear it on your person like the racers did in the '30s and '40s.
'Course they were carrying tublars.

> And when one of your riding mates askes for a patch, you know what to
> tell them right?
> "I don't have to give you no stinking patches...."

3 points.