HELP! Why am I putting myself through this pain?

steve77uk

Sep 30, 2007
Being 5'9 and over 16st at 30 years of age, I thought I should really do something about it. Just changed jobs working closer to home and don't have a company car any more, we have just had a baby so using my wife's car whilst she is off on maternity..

I decided that with only working 5 miles away with a mixture of flat roads and some inclines, it should be easy enought to bike it to work there are no excuses now.

I have not ridden my mountain bike for at least 15 years and dusted it down, after being stored at my parents house in the cellar, got the cobwebs off and took it out for a trial run. After putting new inner tubes in and new tyres on, I gave up after 3 miles after a practice run. Turns out the wheel was rubbing against the frame, I thought it was hard work at the time! On top of that the rear brake stuck on the wheel making it even more difficult!! Didn't realise until I nearly gave myself a heart attack!!!

I am ashamed to say I gave up and got the wife to pick me up, baby in toe and put the bike in the boot. That was the first time i had ridden a bike in 15 years! I stood at the road side, could hardly walk, found it difficult to get my breath back too and felt like fainting...

Tonight I thought I would give it another go, get some practice in, and rode to my parents which is 3 miles away. I felt OK for the first 2 miles rode 1/4 up a very steep hill walked for a bit panting away, and rode for the last 1/4 of the hill. It was down hill after that. It felt like the bike was a bit wobbly and took some getting use to (i fixed the wheel and the brakes before hand btw).. Thought maybe because of my weight the back brakes didn't work as didn't slow down without the help of the front...

I just about made it although nearly collapsed at the other end... Thank god I was able to crash out! I got a lift back leaving my bike at my parents (my dad said he would take a look at it for me while I am at work)... Either way I couldn't manage the return trip...

I know... i'm ****...

I am determined to get back on even though it is killing me(!) My head hurts, sore neck legs ache... I feel like a fool to get back on drooling over the cars that passed me by... Why am I putting myself through this pain!

It is my goal to ride to work there and back, I am going to try and ride one way to my folks 3 miles away trying to get up that hill in one go... I figure when I make that I must be making progress and then will do a round trip...

It just seems there is no light at the moment, it seems so far away and just goes to show how out of shape and overweight I am... It's quite sad really that I have let myself get like this...

Just wondering how others started out, any words of encouragement, tips etc How long do you think it will take to notice a difference, should I do it every night, every other?

I hope one day I can manage the trip to work everyday and back in all weathers, but just seems so far away! I have read lots of post on this forum - I feel their pain! I see kids riding their bikes, bombing away, ultra fit cyclists in their lycra shorts on racers whizzing by. As I drove home I rode past a chap on a bike with no gears - I nearly pipped him to ask him how he does it!

HELP!!

Knackard aka Steve

You are not **** Steve! You are just out of shape which happens to all of us at one time or another. You are starting something new and you are going to find aches and pains at first but they almost always go away.

Since you are new at this, my suggestion is that you load your bike back up into the boot and take it and yourself to your local bike shop. Have them check the bike for its fit to you. If it is the right size, then have them do a tune up on it. If it is not the right size, see what you can do about getting a bike that is the right size. I know that with a new baby, you don't have any spare money laying around, but it is pure torture riding a bike that is not correctly sized to you. The main reason that people quit riding is because their bicycle is not the correct size for them.

Once you have had the bike taken care of, it is just a matter of riding, building up the bicycling specific muscles and your cardiovascular system. Start out using a distance that you are comfortable with and ride it every day, adding a little more distance every couple of days. Remember to pace yourself, don't try to sprint all the way.

You will experience pain in your posterior from sitting on the bicycle's saddle. if the pain persists more than two weeks, look into getting a new saddle. Unfortunately no one can tell you which saddle will work best for you. Everyones backside is different and what works well for one fellow may not work for you at all.

I also suggest that you take a look at the following website: http://sheldonbrown.com/articles.html.

Sheldon Brown is an exceptional authority on bicycles. There might be other people who know more about bikes but they never bothered to write aricles and post them on the web. Read up a little about the beginner bicyclist so that you will know what to expect.

Good luck!

Never lose hope! I started out 20.5 stone and I'm only 5' 3"! I've lost over 8.5 already and cycling is going to help me get rid of the last 2 or so (I'm trying to get under 10 stone - that is if a stone is equal to 14 pounds, if it isn't, this is going to be a strange read)

First off, when you start out, you need some descent equipment, and you need to start slowly - or you'll stop for good! The idea isn't to kill yourself, but to gradually get into shape! You'd know better than to try to run a marathon tomorrow, but that is sort of what you're trying to do on the bike, with no training. Not smart, but an A for effort!

Now start off slowly, fix your bike and as each day passes, you work a little harder and eat right and the weight comes off. That makes you feel stronger and lighter and you can work a little harder and so it goes.

You're doing the right thing for you and for your family. You can do this! Never doubt it! I'll be here to cheer you on! (Pumps fist in the air yelling, "Woot, woot):D

Definately get a tune up...also sounds like to me that you were trying to pedal too big a gear...try it in a lower gear and just take it easy up the hills (granny gear)...hell take it easy on the whole trip...you racing someone?...leave yourself some extra time and off you go and make sure you have some water...if your pedaling hard enough that you can not drink then you are giving it too much effort...back off a little...speed will come later...in a couple days a week whatever five miles will seem like nothing...

First off...CONGRATS on starting to ride again.
Secondly, get theee to a bike shop near you and get your ride tuned up. You both deserve it. Probably cost you about $50.

When I got back on the bike (after testicular cancer surgery), I couldn't go around the block.
Now I ride a couple of hundred miles a month, lost a few dozen pounds, (the American weight kind, not the UK money kind), and feel GREAT!
I fell in love with cycling all over again.
You will, too.

Bikes have changed in 15 years. Go look at something new for motivation. Don't give up!

Thought maybe because of my weight the back brakes didn't work as didn't slow down without the help of the front...
The front brakes should be able to slow the bike down better than the rear brakes due to physics. While off of the bike, try moving the bike forward. Then pull the rear brake, the rear wheel shouldn't move when you move the bike forward, instead sliding accross the ground. If the wheel is able to easily turn, then you probably have brake problems. Try the same thing with the front wheel, and you will have a hard time moving the bike forward.

GinaNY said:
Never lose hope! I started out 20.5 stone and I'm only 5' 3"! I've lost over 8.5 already and cycling is going to help me get rid of the last 2 or so (I'm trying to get under 10 stone - that is if a stone is equal to 14 pounds, if it isn't, this is going to be a strange read)
Yes - listen to GinyNY she has done it all - read her other posts.

kdelong said:
Remember to pace yourself, don't try to sprint all the way.

this is good advice - be patient - it will come - don't try and do it all in the first week. Build up slowly and you'll be amazed at how quickly you get going.

After back surgery I could barely swim 50 metres. I stuck with it and now swim 1500 metres, 4 times a week. Going in my first triathlon on the weekend. One thing I've learned from swimming, cycling and running - be patient and you'll eventually get where you want to go.

//k

OK we are pretty much the same height and up to about a year and a half ago I was only about a stone lighter than you, since then I lost about 3 stone and have only recently put about another stone on due to packing in smoking, crappy diet and nightshifts, but I'm working on this. I bike 4-5 times a week to work about 20 miles a day. My level of fitness is excellant and occasionally I go for a 5 mile run, even if I still have a bit of belly. Basically if I can do it-you can do it. I would just say though aside from getting the bike checked out it would also be advisable to get a health check from your local GP, just some added reassurance that the heart, etc is working ok.

The key once the bike is either fixed up or replaced is as Tiggere says take it really easy, small distances regularly from experiance beat the once a week slog. That "I'll get up Sunday and go for a bike ride"- is easy to talk yourself out of doing. Set goals and reward yourself if you manage them.

Also what puts people off from getting into cycling is riding crappy bikes, I have a friend recently who bought a new "mountain" :rolleyes: bike for around 100 pounds and hates it as its a full sus, heavy as hell and really hard to peddle. She wants it to go on family bike rides with the kids - not bomb down trails. Have a bike suited for what you wanna do with it.

Money is probably tight with baby having arrived but you actually owe this to yourself, its your health and future here. If you cannot afford a new bike look at slick tyres or a second hand bike off ebay or something. I could go on about things you should and should not do but I'd be here forever. If you stick with cycling you will love it, it can be hard to keep the motivation going though.

Here's a suggestion: Use this forum as your motivation. Make this thread your cycle diary. I'm sure those of us that have replied will stick around to offer advice, give you some well earned praise-when you've earned it :D

1. Get a bike tuneup.
2. Ride your bike. Regularly. I mean 5 or 6 days a week. At least 30 minutes each time, and gradually work up.
3. Watch what you eat. Cut down the snacks (only fruit!), the alcohol and all the junk.
4. Ride more.
5. Watch the pounds/kgs/stones melt away.
6. Reward yourself with new eqiupment/bikes/snazzy bike clothing.
7. Goto 1 above and repeat.

Remember, above all, patience. Over a year you will see huge gains in fitness and weight loss.

That is good advise Pete and it does take a lot of patience. People tend to give up because, it is not easy and they do not get instant results.
If possible I would suggest finding a training partner thats maybe in a little bit better shape and doesn' care to challenge you and kick your butt when you get lazy.
You and your family will reap to future benefits.Don't give up!

wow - all of this is great advice!!!!

I have been reading this forum for a few days now and am impressed - i was a bit embarrassed about posting my first ever post and the contents.

I cannot thank you all enough for the great words of wisdom, it is good to hear other people that have been through the other side. I use to love riding my bike as a young'un all those many moons ago. It is just shocking how un fit i now am working in offices all the time, jumping in the car for daft short journeys.

I have come to the conclusion that I am going to buy a spanking new bike this weekend a bit of a motivation factor - they have really come a long way now.

After all we now only have one car and the cost of a bike comapred to BUYING a new car - even a cheapo one is a no brainer. Even if I was given a car for nothing, I would still have to pay insurance, tax etc... it is a good time to do it and try and fight buying another one unnecessarily...

Like most people have said I owe it to myself and new born to get back into shape, to get fit, healthy and clean the old inner pipes out etc... I'm gonna hold off the running though! One step at a time...

It was just so disheartening - i felt like collapsing and thought this is never going to get better! I am hoping that after two weeks I can do 6 miles...

I will keep you all updated and thanks for being nice to an out of shape newbie!

I've been cycling on and off for 10 years and have seen some big weight fluctuations in my time so don't feel embarrassed.

So new bike eh? :D :cool:

Ok I'm on my sixth bike and have bought bikes at all prices. I only buy mountain bikes, (I'm just weird like that), so others will know more about road and hybrid. My commuter bike is a mountain bike with semi-slicks, as also part of my journey is off road and messy. I don't tend to do much mountain biking these days though as I feel I do enough during my commute.

First of all decide what you want the bike for. This is really important, commuting and fitness on fully tarmac roads? A road bike is probabily the way to go. Want to include rides on unsealed surfaces then a hybrid will do the job.

(ok time to cram in 10 yrs of bike buying in a couple of paragraphs after a nightshift-apologies for rambling loonyness).

The more money you spend the better the bike - but obviously you don't have to go silly. I have destroyed a hundred pound mountain bike in a matter of a couple months off-road and using it to commute, where a 400 pound Scott mountain bike lasted months and only got sold when I moved to New Zealand.

Research before buying. Look at decent bike manufacturers. Choose a bike shop with care. Don't (I've done this before), buy straight away, have a test ride on a few models. Be up front with the bike shop about what you want. Do the staff fill you with confidence? What sort of bike market do they cater for? Beware of snobby staff. Tell them that if they look after you they will have your custom for years. Spend free time going around shops and having a look before buying. Make sure they include a proper fit-you to the bike service. Make sure they provide a servicing policy.

Bottom line-don't be in a hurry to buy until you figure out what sort of bike you need. I'll let the more knowledgable on the forum fill in the rest.

one thing to consider...if your not going to take it off-road...why buy a mountain bike...if you want to get to work a little more efficiently I would look at either a hybrid or a beginner road bike...more towards the road bike from what you have said its main use would be...sell the mountain bike...and get you a new entry level road bike...thats what I have and love it...its not the $3000 carbon frame superbike but it does exactly what it is supposed to do...now would be the time to start looking...most LBS are having huge sales on bikes right now along with clothes and all the other accesories...

THIS IS A MUST...get you some riding shorts...skimp everywhere else if you want but make damn sure you get the shorts...trust me...you will thank me later...

Well I have done it (kinda) I rode back from my parents which is 3 miles only getting off to walk a bit once (it was a massive hill) i also find the gradual hills a bit of a bugger too!

Sweat running down, but nothing a quick shower couldn't fix, I did enjoy the start of it a bit more, but started to question myself towards the end... Anyway that is three rides done all of about 3 miles each... Something to benchmark me. Just under 30 minutes which included a bit of walking...

Onwards and upwards - it can only get better...

I went into a bike shop today, however it was 15 minutes before closing but they didn't really seem interested in me. I told them what I wanted to do and they suggested a mountain bike - they never even mentioned a hybrid or a road bike... I am going to go back to the other bike store at the weekend and see what they recommend as my gears are still playing up although my dad fixed my breaks and let some air out of the tyres slightly to main it less hard on the rear!!! lol

I feel better now for tonight's ride... Just gotta keep at it...

Thanks for all your posts - you lot have been a great help!

Hey good work fella!

I'm just off to sleep, but will reply later. Yeah try the other bike shop grrrrrr. Just think few more weeks,(not many!), you will have an **** and thighs that would put HeMan to shame!

Good work!:D

Perhaps you should find another route, one without a killer hill so you can go a bit further without knocking yourself out. After your fitness level picks up again, then tackle that hill.

I'd find it pretty demotivating knowing that every time I go out I have to take on some hill that defeats me every time. Besides, three miles isn't really that far, and you shouldn't be having such a hard time with it regardless of your fitness level.

Pick a route more suited to your level - you'll probably enjoy it more as well and end up cycling a longer distance, which is what you should be working towards.

Yojimbo_ said:
Perhaps you should find another route, one without a killer hill so you can go a bit further without knocking yourself out. After your fitness level picks up again, then tackle that hill.

I'd find it pretty demotivating knowing that every time I go out I have to take on some hill that defeats me every time. Besides, three miles isn't really that far, and you shouldn't be having such a hard time with it regardless of your fitness level.

Pick a route more suited to your level - you'll probably enjoy it more as well and end up cycling a longer distance, which is what you should be working towards.

I know what you guys are saying about the suitability of a route, but the problem that I have got is I live in the Derbyshire Dales (for non UK people it is just hills etc) and I live at the top of a hill no matter which way I go!

Bugger!

I usually walk the dog up and down it and it knackars me out anyway, but the walk is good exercise too...

Speaking to you chaps (including ladies) has been a great help, more than you can imagine, but feel a bit of life coming back. The alarm has just gone off, and I have got out of bed straight away without falling back to sleep.

Just gotta keep at it...

So, this is my ultimate goal... I want to ride to and from work every day (mon-fri) and probably go out for a ride over the weekend *possibly* going out on bridal paths or dirt tracks, but it is a *possibility* if I get the time.

I am going to treat myself to a new bike, would a road bike suit that, should it be a hybrid. I think a couple of people on here have said not to get a mountain bike because the majority of the time I will be on tarmac and roads which is correct. Mon-Fri WILL be on tarmac, unless I find a route over a field (which I think is doubtful as not looked yet but who knows!).

Wow - I am starting to feel excited - I will get there... I will get there yeah baby i'm ready!! haha

but still a little bit Confused.com!

I have a road bike and a hybrid. Both pretty old.

The one I ride depends on how far I'm going and where I'm going to leave my bike.

No point in a mountain bike unless you are really going to do a fair bit of trail. Note that the hybrid will work for both road and off road if you get it set up right, but then it won't be optimal for either.

Depends on what you like really.