HELP! Why am I putting myself through this pain?

Yojimbo_ said:
I have a road bike and a hybrid. Both pretty old.

The one I ride depends on how far I'm going and where I'm going to leave my bike.

No point in a mountain bike unless you are really going to do a fair bit of trail. Note that the hybrid will work for both road and off road if you get it set up right, but then it won't be optimal for either.

Depends on what you like really.

Well I went to a really nice bike shop Saturday AM, got there just as they was opening up as I wanted to make sure I spoke to someone who would have a bit of time to go through with some stuff with me... Got speaking to a nice lad, he seemed interested in talking to me in general about stuff etc and knew what I was trying to tell him in non bike speak...

Well anyway, I told him exactly what I wanted to do, go to work mon-fri on road, maybe down a dirt path/gravely etc and also ride around a couple of reservoir tracks etc...

He did go through road bikes, hybrids etc, types of gears... tyres. But I ended up going for a MTB a Giant Terrago Disc 08 (not sure what difference a year makes) got a good deal on it with quite a bit knocked off... (it went back to RRP later in the day!)

I am very pleased with it, got it home and did 8.5 miles in 1 hour straight away, surprised myself! I know people recommended a Hybrid or road etc, but I don't want to have 2 bikes one for road and the other for the weekend etc, I had already got some slicks with knobblies on *?* from the previous week for my old bike so thinking I will put them on which is what I will be using it for most...

It has got front and back discs (well impressed I can actually stop now!) and suspension which can be locked off and adjusted. It also has hydraulics what ever they do!

Well, we'll see how we get on, and hopefully see some of the weight drop off..

It was a bit depressing this morning...woke up chucking it down with raid thinking soon I may be riding to work in this!!!!!

threaded said:
Suggest you get yourself down to The Bike Shop on Monk Street.

Now that is spooky!!!!!!!!

I already did!!!!

small world eh?

Did another 10 miles tonight, we to where I work, made a quick call to prove I wasn't that much out of breath and cycled back. 23 mins there (the long way around) and about 35 back and did not stop either way!

(well I am chuffed considering when I first posted this thread!)

Steve, who bought a Giant Terrago Disc at the Bike Shop on Monk Street in Derby!

Moved back to early shifts so I've not been on for a bit. How goes the new bike and the commuting Steve?

Jonahhobbes said:
Moved back to early shifts so I've not been on for a bit. How goes the new bike and the commuting Steve?

The bike is fab, certainly makes the ride more enjoyable and more comfortable. Not done the commuting side just yet, did a practice run the other night which did not seem too bad. I am on the lookout for a hi-vis waterproof jacket as got a bit wet! I also found it a bit difficult when it rained on my face as the rain when into my eyes... but this was when it was dark - i think I have read on here that people use clear cycling glasses?

I also found it more easier without the padded gloves that I was wearing as they hurt the palms after a while and was more comfortable without them. i think it was because the handle bars are padded and chunky anyway... I'm just going to get some normal gloves that are not too thick but not padded too.

I am looking to start doing it tomorrow AM (friday) so watch this space!

Good to see you getting into it!

Glasses/rain - yeah but all you really need is helmet with a visor/brim on it and that will keep out the rain when you angle your head. Spray can be cut down with a decent front fender/mudguard. Buy a plastic one. You don't really need a set of clear glasses as rain drops collect on the lenses and make them unseeable anyway. Although you can buy glasses/shades that have a special film on them that let the moisture just roll off -but they can be really expensive and I would'nt bother yet they can wait. A helmet with a visor will keep most of the rain out.

I would try and get used to the padded gloves. Maybe the grips on the handlebars are a little to big for you and that is what is making your hands ache? Aching hands could also be down to the seat or handle bars not being at the right hight for you-the bike shop can help you out with this. I would give the padded gloves another go-seriously. Padded cycling gloves are esential kit, no two ways about it, they cut down the vibration on aluminum frames and if you have a crash make the difference between inflicting serious damage and a trip to A+E to just being able to dust yourself off and carry on riding. I started riding without gloves for the first couple of years and realise now how silly I was. Although I don't have massive hands I tend to find a large sized glove more comfy.

Visability is a must. http://www.groundeffect.co.nz a a New Zealand company that make mountain bike and cycling gear, should be checked out. I used to import their stuff even when I lived in the UK as it was often cheaper and better made than homemade stuff, even if you need to send stuff back they often pay! Spam aside I never go anywhere without 75% being GE clothing.

Weather,steep hills, shitty car owners with no respect for cyclists, sweaty bits, soreness, flat tyres. All these issues are there when you start cycling and I've seen them put people off. I've had the worst weather in the last 3 weeks, but then on my ride home work on friday I had a wonderful southerly and a sunny afternoon and found myself singing along to myself happy as Larry, it was amazing watching the countryside go past. I've been to the Dales a few times and you have some great cycling country there. So if things get frustrating just hang in there. Also the wife will be well impressed in the improved stamina :D in a week or two.

Well, I thought I would post myself an update on here...

I rode to work on Friday last week and I have also done it on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I went in the car on Thursday as it was 0 Degrees and icy out there plus had quite a lot of saddle sore!

So giving it a rest (and my over worked muscles) Thursday and Friday, but at least now I don't have any fear of riding to work!!

There is still a lot of mental pressure to keep it up. One morning I really didn't want to do it as it was very cold but after 10 minutes I started to warm up. I must admit there is a bugger of a hill on the way home, a long incline and I think I am noticing it is getting slightly easier although on the way to work I still get overtaken by a few cyclists!

At least they say good morning!!

Thanks for all your help guys!

Yeah there is no shame in having a day off now and then. Weather can be depressing but fine days make up for it. You've picked a funny time to start this business going into winter :D but by the time spring comes around you won't know yourself. Got some padded shorts yet? They like gloves are a must. I'm still buying new kit, shorts and gloves etc... Always upgrading and changing its part of the fun. Just started reading The Art of Urban Cycling by Robert Hurst, an American book but very much relavent to the UK and here in NZ. It is amazing.

I said when I started commuting that I would give myself 3 months of riding to work daily if I didn't notice any difference I'd stop. That was a year and a half ago. That hill will seem like nothing in a couple of weeks.

What are the facilities like at your work do you have showers?

Whatever you do, don't give up!

I started riding a road bike again 1 year ago this month, after a 17 year hiatus. I stopped because I got married, had kids, work more hours, etc. That was a choice I made.

When I stopped I weighed about 175 lbs (I'm 6'2").:)

When I started again I was 39 years old and weighed 235 lbs:( I felt like **** physically! I knew it was "now or never".

I set my self some achievable goals along the lines of 7 to 10 miles a day to start and gradually increased my mileage. I suffered & I was embarrassed at how I looked in my kit. But I knew I was reaping what I'd sown. I had to pay a price for my bad choices in diet, lack of exercise, etc.

It was time to sow some new seeds, so I went at it with vigor. I haven't been perfect, but I watched what I ate, I put in my miles, and slowly I started riding myself out of the big, chubby hole I had put myself in.

One year later, I'm down to 198 lbs and I feel like a different person. I'm determined to get down to 180- 185 lbs. I did two sixty mile, solo rides last week! A lot can change over the course of just 1 year.

Please don't give up, you can do it! Be patient and reasonable with your goals, but stick to it!

For the hills, one thing that seems to work is to tell yourself how much you love hills everytime you go up the hill. Keep sayin' it to yourself. Eventually, you may find your mindset about hills changing and at the same time find the climbing more enjoyable. Dreading a climb puts you at mental disadvantage before the climb even starts.

Jonahhobbes said:
Yeah there is no shame in having a day off now and then. Weather can be depressing but fine days make up for it. You've picked a funny time to start this business going into winter :D but by the time spring comes around you won't know yourself. Got some padded shorts yet? They like gloves are a must. I'm still buying new kit, shorts and gloves etc... Always upgrading and changing its part of the fun. Just started reading The Art of Urban Cycling by Robert Hurst, an American book but very much relavent to the UK and here in NZ. It is amazing.

I said when I started commuting that I would give myself 3 months of riding to work daily if I didn't notice any difference I'd stop. That was a year and a half ago. That hill will seem like nothing in a couple of weeks.

What are the facilities like at your work do you have showers?

We don't have showers or really a changing room as there are only 12 members of staff there. I would love to be able to use one though...

There is a small training room where I lock the door, duck behind a window and get changed there - we have just had a baby so I have swiped a packet of baby wipes and a flannel to wipe myself down. I am not sweating as much, there is still a fair bit, but then again that could be down to the cooler weather. I would seriously struggle if I had to wear a suit as the shirt and trousers would get crumpled in my rucksack. Fortunately I wear jeans and a polo shirt of sorts...

As far as I am concerned I am not going to give up, I am enjoying it, but saddle sore is setting in where it was quite painful. I found some gloves that don't have that much padding and they are better than the chunky ones which is better for me for now. I also spent £50 on a high vis-Lycrajacket and also another £50 on some padded Lycra shorts (expensive kit!!) with some over shorts on top which seem to do the business. I might get another pair. The only problem is that I have just one pair and they obviously need washing every day which is a bit of a pain and also they have to drip dry which takes ages due to being Lycra?

I don't mind the hill and did think of another route but thought I can do this. It is getting better and I am trying to memorise which gear I am in to keep it the same every time to show an improvement. I do feel like giving up when going up the incline, but keep telling myself I can do it and if I get off once I will probably get off again which I don't want to do.

I see many people whizz by on bikes, on racers all kitted out, slim which is what I aspire to be. I just take my time, try to keep a good momentum going. i am going to change my tyres this weekend from mountain bike to slicks with knobbly on the edge.

I love doing it, I will keep doing it, but I have got to remember I am not super man just yet! and the odd day off is a reward, but when I am at work I wish I had my bike!!! Those weights you show are what I am which equal around 16 Stone. Since doing it I have put on 2 lbs but possibly put that down to building muscle in my legs as they are getting firmer already (I can certainly feel it!)

How many shorts do you have for a working week?

I've got about 5 pairs of padded shorts, 2 of which are favs. I also let family know that cycling gear is what I want from christmas and birthdays. Baby wipes are great if you don't have a shower or access to a sink. Use a sink if you have one and get one of those cheap micro-towels, very handy and dry quickley. Short hair is good also if no sink available. Antibacterial shower gel is pretty good if you use it before leaving the house. The one thing that I do find that makes you smell more is drinking alcohol the night before. To make life easier why not drop your stuff off to work,(clothes, wipes etc), once a week and save you having to carry it around on a daily basis? Sorry in a rush Keep it up!!!!

Blimey I just reread my post.....busy busy busy!

Weight is very deceptive so don't be dismayed if after a couple of months you are not losing it. You are right you will be building muscle. Legs, backside, back and shoulders as well as the arms will all get tighter. Then you can do some muscle posses in front of the mirror and get rid of those Homeresque Tents that you have to wear over a certain weight and feel pretty good about yourself in a t-shirt again. I have been there!!!

The only thing that never really shifts is the belly unless you do ALOT of cycling, (mine is making a stubbon comeback at the mo :mad: age and beer:( but me and belly are going to have a big fall out soon;) ), but the belly will reduce in size and there are other things to do get rid of this and in no way do you need to worry about this at this time.

Your backside will have toughened up by next week or the week after max, if you use the padded shorts, get one pair for riding in and one for riding home at least. Wash them and hang them up, they will be dry come tomorrow. Keep your eye out for bargins on Ebay and online shops.

Soon your body will get cravings if you miss a few trips in on the bike. I cannot go for more than a week without cycling without feeling grouchey, restless and a little depressed.

I'm really impressed with the way you've made a start on this.

Well done!!:D :D :D :D :D :D :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

tiggere said:
...also sounds like to me that you were trying to pedal too big a gear...try it in a lower gear and just take it easy up the hills (granny gear)...hell take it easy on the whole trip...you racing someone?...
Using higher rpm and less force on the pedals is not just a beginner tactic and not just for hills. You should use the lowest gear you can, without feeling like you're bobbing in the saddle.

If you don't have toeclips or spd shoes, the point when you pedal too fast occurs when you have to consciously expend a lot of energy to keep your feet on the pedals and your legs from bouncing.

Try keeping the suspension locked. The force which articulates the suspension comes out of your forward momentum.

BTW hydraulics may refer to the fact that the brake pads are pressed against the disc by a small bladder inside a piston filling with hydraulic oil, which is pressurized by your brake lever and travels down the brake line, or it may refer to the fact that a bike on springs, i.e. suspension, doesn't bob up and down like a pendulum because a small piston inside the shock or fork is being dragged through some hydraulic fluid, which wastes the bobbing force as well as taking away some of your forward speed when the suspension compresses on a bump. Letting the tires handle road shock ensures you get your momentum back as the tire rebounds when you roll over the front of the bump.

Jonahhobbes said:
Hmmmmmm This is about to drop of the front page. You still cycling Steve?

Hello!

Yes still doing it but not this last week just gone as been poorly and off ill with flu / cold - but back at work next week and have gone out and bought some new padded underwear especially! so really there are no excuses!

I have lost a couple of pounds already, but from now on, this is it - no turning back... it has been getting easier although there are some mental lapses where I ask why am I doing this - this is madness, but then I look forward o doing it once I have finally woken up...

Will keep you all up to speed!, next week will be a full week of cycling - hope my rear can handle it!

Jonahhobbes said:
Nice one Steve. Whats the weather like back home?

Well now that the clocks have gone back an hour, it is just getting light in the morning and it is pitch black when going home... not that it bothers me - however it is a bit nippy in the mornings - but not too bad - around 8-12 oC...

Did another 3 days last week (not at work sunday and needed to get back early on friday)

going to try and do 4 next week if not all!

Hi Steve have only just joined the forum and was in a similar position to you about 5 months ago. I was 14.5 stone and 5'9". Initially thought a 5 mile round cycle to get a newspaper was too much so would jump in the car and was only cycling round the block about 3 miles. Would you believe this weekend i have done two rides both just under 30 miles each and i was looking for hills :eek: . I have only lost 3/4 stone but have gone down a trouser size and feel loads healthier plus the wife things i look loads slimmer :D
One tip :Keep your eye on your local Aldi every so often they do some really cheap cycling gear that is brilliant value especially if you are on a bit of a budget. Last week they had some running gear and i got some bottoms for £7 that are brill for cycling they also had hi viz reflective armlets great for the dark nights/mornings. If you are lucky they still might have some.
Have not read if you have lights or not yet - if not i can recommend this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5-LED-BIKE-BICYCLE-FRONT-TORCH-HEAD-LIGHT-LAMP_W0QQitemZ140175127085QQihZ004QQcategoryZ22689QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
i bought one and if you have standard diameter handlebars they are brilliant.

By the way i am 51, if i can do it so can you.

feel said:
Hi Steve have only just joined the forum and was in a similar position to you about 5 months ago. I was 14.5 stone and 5'9". Initially thought a 5 mile round cycle to get a newspaper was too much so would jump in the car and was only cycling round the block about 3 miles. Would you believe this weekend i have done two rides both just under 30 miles each and i was looking for hills :eek: . I have only lost 3/4 stone but have gone down a trouser size and feel loads healthier plus the wife things i look loads slimmer :D
One tip :Keep your eye on your local Aldi every so often they do some really cheap cycling gear that is brilliant value especially if you are on a bit of a budget. Last week they had some running gear and i got some bottoms for £7 that are brill for cycling they also had hi viz reflective armlets great for the dark nights/mornings. If you are lucky they still might have some.
Have not read if you have lights or not yet - if not i can recommend this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5-LED-BIKE-BICYCLE-FRONT-TORCH-HEAD-LIGHT-LAMP_W0QQitemZ140175127085QQihZ004QQcategoryZ22689QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
i bought one and if you have standard diameter handlebars they are brilliant.

By the way i am 51, if i can do it so can you.

Hello!

Welcome to the forums, I have only been here for about a month too but have had some good advice - things ARE getting slightly easier - it is more a frame of mind for me to get on the bike in the morning when I am tired - I mentally split the route into 4 stages, thinking, right, done that bit, next etc... Fortunately the route to work is mostly down hill, the way back is ok except for the fourth stage which is a killer, but I keep doing it because it HAS to get easier...!

I just have to stick at it - which is something I am not too good at, but am impressed at how far I have come so gotta keep going...

It will come...