Helping a Friend Buy a Bike

I'm helping a friend in the US (Maryland) buy a bike. He's told me
what he wants and he sends me links to some of the bikes he's thinking
of. I point out all the possibly negative things about that bike. We
discuss.

He has four local bike shops to choose from and I'm hoping someone on
here knows them well enough to know which one is the best or to
suggest a better one in the Baltimore/DC area.

Proteus bicycles in College Park is the one closest to him and there
are also shops on University Blvd, Georgia Avenue, and Rockville
(though he hasn't mentioned the names of them).

Thanks,
-M

[email protected] wrote:

> Proteus bicycles in College Park is the one closest to him

Yikes! I didn't know they were still around. They used to build and
sell their own line of frames back in the '70s. My first decent bike
was a Proteus touring frame that I built up. If it hadn't been stolen,
I'd probably still be riding it.

Art Harris

Not sure which one in Rockville he visited, but Revolution Cycles at 1066
Rockville Pike is decent, they carry the Trek line of bikes. Also decent is
City Bikes in Chevy Chase at 8401 Connecticut Ave (rear of office building
about a mile from the beltway), they carry the Specialized line. Another
choice in Rockville is Hudson Trail Outfitters at Randolph Road and
Rockville Pike, they carry Felt and a few others. All of these seem to have
pretty good bike mechanics and friendly/knowledgeable staff. I'm also
looking for a road bike and have been making the rounds. Thinking about the
Specialized Roubaix.

news:[email protected]...