hey tamyka (and other learsport riders)

qtq

Guest
which learsport do you have? what do you think of the frame?

[I'm thinking of getting a road bike with a view to one day possibly
racing in crits.] I have sufficient spare decent-quality bits around
(including a pair of okay wheels which were intended for my hybrid
before it went out on long-term loan) to build up a road bike, so I'm
sort of in the market for a frame (+- componentry if it's cheap
enough.)

-A

"qtq" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> which learsport do you have? what do you think of the frame?
>
> [I'm thinking of getting a road bike with a view to one day possibly
> racing in crits.] I have sufficient spare decent-quality bits around
> (including a pair of okay wheels which were intended for my hybrid
> before it went out on long-term loan) to build up a road bike, so I'm
> sort of in the market for a frame (+- componentry if it's cheap
> enough.)

There's currently a size "L" Learsport on ebay for $500 frame and fork only.
Never seen one in the flesh so I can't comment any more than that :)

Gemm

qtq wrote:

> which learsport do you have? what do you think of the frame?
>
> [I'm thinking of getting a road bike with a view to one day possibly
> racing in crits.] I have sufficient spare decent-quality bits around
> (including a pair of okay wheels which were intended for my hybrid
> before it went out on long-term loan) to build up a road bike, so I'm
> sort of in the market for a frame (+- componentry if it's cheap
> enough.)
>
> -A

I've got the learsport 8000 (I think) It's the one with the 105
components because my race bike has ultegra. The frame geometry isn't
quite as nice as my felt, I needed to buy a straight seat post to get
far enough forward (good excuse for carbon, I say) but it's good now and
I like it, forks are good.

Depends on what components you've got and want. The pedals are cheap
wellgo's; I kept 'em but you would replace those for crits. The wheels
that came with it are pretty nice, you'd want to take the reflectors off
(I've left mine on). If you've haven't got shifters derailleurs etc etc
then I don't think there's much difference between different learsport
frames, and you can get the top model with all the ultegra components
for not much more money... I know people who have planned to buy
learsports like this with the intent of saving for a really nice frame
and ripping all the components form the learsport.

If you've got everything except a frame, I'd go for something really
good instead - if you're getting into racing seriously you'll want
something better before long, and frames alone aren't generally THAT
expensive and there's no point paying for components if you're not going
to use them.

I got my bike for $200 below the advertised price, and only charged $20
for freight Sydney to Bne, so talk to someone at learsport and talk
them down.

I love my learsport, but I love my felt better. I like to keep my felt
for special occasions like 60-140km rides and my learsport for
commuting.

Hope this helps.

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> I've got the learsport 8000 (I think) It's the one with the 105
> components because my race bike has ultegra. The frame geometry isn't
> quite as nice as my felt, I needed to buy a straight seat post to get
> far enough forward (good excuse for carbon, I say) but it's good now

and
> I like it, forks are good.

Is this the one with the columbus Zonal?

> Depends on what components you've got and want. The pedals are cheap
> wellgo's; I kept 'em but you would replace those for crits. The

wheels
> that came with it are pretty nice, you'd want to take the reflectors

off
> (I've left mine on). If you've haven't got shifters derailleurs etc

etc
> then I don't think there's much difference between different

learsport
> frames, and you can get the top model with all the ultegra components
> for not much more money... I know people who have planned to buy
> learsports like this with the intent of saving for a really nice

frame
> and ripping all the components form the learsport.

well, their list is 1100 for the triplebutted alum with tiagra, and
1500 for zonal with 105. hrm...
> Hope this helps.

thanks - it does.

I assume you got the small?

qtq wrote:

> Tamyka Bell wrote:
> > I've got the learsport 8000 (I think) It's the one with the 105
> > components because my race bike has ultegra. The frame geometry isn't
> > quite as nice as my felt, I needed to buy a straight seat post to get
> > far enough forward (good excuse for carbon, I say) but it's good now

> and
> > I like it, forks are good.

> Is this the one with the columbus Zonal?

Yep

> > Depends on what components you've got and want. The pedals are cheap
> > wellgo's; I kept 'em but you would replace those for crits. The

> wheels
> > that came with it are pretty nice, you'd want to take the reflectors

> off
> > (I've left mine on). If you've haven't got shifters derailleurs etc

> etc
> > then I don't think there's much difference between different

> learsport
> > frames, and you can get the top model with all the ultegra components
> > for not much more money... I know people who have planned to buy
> > learsports like this with the intent of saving for a really nice

> frame
> > and ripping all the components form the learsport.

> well, their list is 1100 for the triplebutted alum with tiagra, and
> 1500 for zonal with 105. hrm...

Yeah, I got it delivered for $1320.

> > Hope this helps.

> thanks - it does.
>
> I assume you got the small?

I think so, the standover height of a medium was verging on scary for
me...