hip flexor cramping/spasm

walser

Oct 3, 2006
For a couple of years I have had some trouble with my left hip flexor. Sometimes when pulling up more than normal (e.g. big gear climbing), a kind of tension builds up inside the hip flexor and suddenly turns into a very painful cramping/spasm. The pain is excruciating and it is impossible to keep pedalling.The pain goes away immediately when I stop pedalling. The problem has only been present when doing big gear climbing (which I rarely do), so it haven't been a big problem.

The last few weeks I have noticed that the tension in the hip flexor is building up more often than before. Even when climbing easy, tension sometimes is building up. I have avoided cramping through stretching while riding, but this obviously is not a good option if I get this problem in a deciding phase of a race.

I think I will go to a physiotherapist soon, but nevertheless I would like to know what this could be and how one can get rid of it.

Hi,

You need to get your pedaling action assessed, do a search in your area of practioners who do this, they may use a Computrainer with Spinscan analysis. If you are pulling up with your hip flexors to the point of spasm something is not right. Ideally go to someone who can treat you also, like a chiro/physio who undestands cycling.

All the best. BTW, just pull through at the bottom of the pedal stroke and not up.

Ian