Hit a cyclist today - what sort of trouble am I in

pert

Mar 12, 2008
Hi,

Was driving to work this moning and a cyclist pulled out in front of me and I knocked him over. Not much damage to him, but there was a bit of damage to the bike. This was in rush hour traffic mind. I stopped to see how he was, was pretty angry. Anyway, another motorist had phoned the police so I paniced and drove off leaving him there.

What sort of trouble do you reckon I would be in bearing in mind it was an accident and pretty much his fault.

pert said:
Hi,

Was driving to work this moning and a cyclist pulled out in front of me and I knocked him over. Not much damage to him, but there was a bit of damage to the bike. This was in rush hour traffic mind. I stopped to see how he was, was pretty angry. Anyway, another motorist had phoned the police so I paniced and drove off leaving him there.

What sort of trouble do you reckon I would be in bearing in mind it was an accident and pretty much his fault.

Class a misdemeanor or possible felony if there is injury involved, I believe.
Not sure where you are but that the way it is in most states. You are required to produce ID, registration and proof of insurance when an accident occurs.

jhuskey said:
Class a misdemeanor or possible felony if there is injury involved, I believe.
Not sure where you are but that the way it is in most states. You are required to produce ID, registration and proof of insurance when an accident occurs.
Sadly I have no insurance and am banned from driving for reasons I don't want to go into

Felony leaving the scene of an accident. Your screwed. Stupid to leave. If you were under the influence of anything, your beyond screwed.

stlblues said:
Felony leaving the scene of an accident. Your screwed. Stupid to leave. If you were under the influence of anything, your beyond screwed.

True, depending on where you are they could also file "implied consent rule".
I am not sure about this but I believe it to be accurate.
I would consult an attorney.
You will have attorney/client priviledge, so your conversation are kept private.

You hit a cyclist????? Then you left???? You say it was the cyclist's fault???? Cyclist pulled out in front of you??? Got any witnesses??? Sure sounds to me like you are guity. Cyclist have the same rights as cars, and if you hit one from the rear, which it sounds like you did, 99% of the time it is the autos fault. Autos have an obligation to avoid an accident. Sure the cyclist pulled out in front of you, and if they did it 3 car lengths in front of you, then it is your fault for not avoiding the accident.

TheDarkLord said:
So, were you driving legally or illegally?
Illegally, that's why I fled when the police were called

I hope that nobody took my details

pert said:
Well it was my mums car

There was no damage
Well, first I would suggest getting off the internet. Next, you should contact a lawyer asap. I note based on your use of the term "mum" that you likely are from Oz or England or some such place. I believe everyone that gave you "advice" here is state side.

My point . . . such pesky little details as the nation, state, city, etc. that you live in and the incident took place in do in fact matter and all of the above advice is likely rendered useless.

All of these posts are pointless as they pertain to your particilar situation. Contact a lawyer in your area, quickly.

Bottom line . . . don't ask for free advice from a bunch of internet strangers who possibly have no expertise in your area, in that area of law . . . and likely aren't even lawyers. Contact a lawyer . . . .

haha.. this can not be serious. Would someone really come on to a cycling forum to post that they hit a cyclist? :confused:

If so.. that is messed up that you took off.

The good thing is there aren't that many cycling boards on the web. If there was an investigation they can always check the logs and trace your IP.

BoarderDave said:
haha.. this can not be serious. Would someone really come on to a cycling forum to post that they hit a cyclist? :confused:

If so.. that is messed up that you took off.

Seems more of a troll with every post.

jhuskey said:
Indeed. It would take a special kind of idiot to come into a cycling forum and admit to hitting a cyclist while driving illegally and leaving the scene...then ask for everyone's opinion. I don't buy this for one moment:rolleyes: .

Gotta be a spiff. Nobody could be that dumb. Banned from driving, for reasons you dont want to go into? Yeah right, but you are out driving anyway? Then you are in an accident and leave. And, you leave knowing the police are on the way.

If all true, and I were the judge, I'd put you under the jail and throw the key away!

Mark

pert said:
Hi,

jhuskey said:
I actually suspected it was a troll for those very reasons. I even had a handful of suspects in mind when I made my post. :rolleyes: You're a complete idiot if you go onto an internet site to discuss a crime you committed and are trying to cover up. ;)

MarkInNC said:
Gotta be a spiff. Nobody could be that dumb. Banned from driving, for reasons you dont want to go into? Yeah right, but you are out driving anyway? Then you are in an accident and leave. And, you leave knowing the police are on the way.

If all true, and I were the judge, I'd put you under the jail and throw the key away!

Mark
Well, now, let's be real here. Granted I too believe it's all a spoof, but really . . . your above scenario happens ALL THE TIME. People lose their license for a DUI or whatever, they panic because they must drive to hold their job, so they go ahead and drive for that purpose . . . then they get into an accident and freak even more because they're driving while suspended and without insurance, so they flee the scene.

That scenario is not only plausible, it happens several times a day probably. However, being dumb enough to discuss it on an internet site is a completely different thing.