Holy Jim Trail here in SOCAL ~VIDEO~

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill Porter

I put together the video that I shot while riding the Holy Jim trail the weekend before last. You
can get to the video, trail pictures and reviews by checking out the Holy Jim and/or Video pages of
my website, www.mountainbikebill.com or you can go straight to video right here.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/p4f11680a09d575005ae5509811283165/fcfa4948.mpg

Bill "SoCal Winter is setting in, time to get out the arm warmers" Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

Bill Porter wrote:
> I put together the video that I shot while riding the Holy Jim trail the weekend before last. You
> can get to the video, trail pictures and reviews by checking out the Holy Jim and/or Video pages
> of my website, www.mountainbikebill.com or you can go straight to video right here.
>
> http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/p4f11680a09d575005ae5509811283165/fcfa4948.mpg
>

Awesome. I love the whole middle, typical SoCal, burnin' through the chapparal section. The wooded
sections at the top and bottom are fine since they're more technical, but just love that higher
speed middle section.

Greg
--
"Loose the Mekons, came the cheer"

On Tue, 03 Dec 2002 05:57:58 GMT, [email protected] (Bill Porter) wrote:

>I put together the video that I shot while riding the Holy Jim trail the weekend before last. You
>can get to the video, trail pictures and reviews by checking out the Holy Jim and/or Video pages of
>my website, www.mountainbikebill.com or you can go straight to video right here.
>
>http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/p4f11680a09d575005ae5509811283165/fcfa4948.mpg
>
>Bill "SoCal Winter is setting in, time to get out the arm warmers" Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

Oh sh!t! Nice, bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is,
the mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
:-]

Good stuff Bill! I liked the wreck in the creek, the music was way fitting for the video.

Great job!

L.

"G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Bill Porter wrote:
> > I put together the video that I shot while riding the Holy Jim trail the weekend before last.
> > You can get to the video, trail pictures and reviews by checking out the Holy Jim and/or Video
> > pages of my website, www.mountainbikebill.com or you can go straight to video right here.
> >
> > http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/p4f11680a09d575005ae5509811283165/fcfa4948.mpg
> >
>
> Awesome. I love the whole middle, typical SoCal, burnin' through the chapparal section. The wooded
> sections at the top and bottom are fine since they're more technical, but just love that higher
> speed middle section.

Looks like a great place for singlespeeding.

JD

"BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 03 Dec 2002 05:57:58 GMT, Bill Porter wrote:
> >
> >
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/p4f11680a09d575005ae550981128316
5/fcfa4948.mpg
>
> Good stuff. Musta been a long ride up before that, though!
>
> --
> -BB-

Yeah. I want to know why these videos never show the true form of mountain biking... the source of
much pain and much satisfaction... the climbs. I know several trails around my area that have huge
steep climbs, and I'd love to see some footage of people clearing them.

-John Morgan
--
To reply, please remove NOSPAM from the return address.

John Morgan wrote:
> "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>On Tue, 03 Dec 2002 05:57:58 GMT, Bill Porter wrote:
>>
>>>
> http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/p4f11680a09d575005ae550981128316
> 5/fcfa4948.mpg
>
>>Good stuff. Musta been a long ride up before that, though!
>>
>>--
>>-BB-
>
>
> Yeah. I want to know why these videos never show the true form of mountain biking... the source of
> much pain and much satisfaction... the climbs. I know several trails around my area that have huge
> steep climbs, and I'd love to see some footage of people clearing them.
>

Good point, if the climbs are rocky, rutty, rooty, and steep it just might be entertaining. Rich
Touart had one amusing video of him trying a steep pitch over and over again.

Greg

--
"Walking under ladders for a living You know we should be running round in pubs and bars We know
we'll never grow short And we'll never grow tall" - the Mekons

"John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... <snip>

| Yeah. I want to know why these videos never show the true form of
mountain
| biking... the source of much pain and much satisfaction... the climbs. I know several trails
| around my area that have huge steep climbs, and I'd
love
| to see some footage of people clearing them.

Because climbing video is mostly boring as ****.

Even when it's in a beautiful locale it can get boring if used too much:

www.paradigmhosting.net/video/goose2.mpg

--
Pete Fagerlin

http://www.petefagerlin.com

On Thu, 05 Dec 2002 17:40:17 GMT, John Morgan wrote:

> Yeah. I want to know why these videos never show the true form of mountain biking... the source of
> much pain and much satisfaction... the climbs. I know several trails around my area that have huge

The video tends to flatten out the climb; consequently a grueling climb tends to look like a
slow ride.

--
-BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

"John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > On Tue, 03 Dec 2002 05:57:58 GMT, Bill Porter wrote:
> > >
> > >
> http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/p4f11680a09d575005ae550981128316
> 5/fcfa4948.mpg
> >
> > Good stuff. Musta been a long ride up before that, though!
> >
> > --
> > -BB-
>
>
> -John Morgan

For this particluar ride, it would have been, hey look at that rock. Yep that rock is still there.
hey look he is past that rock. hey look another rock... And while the sound of ones lungs working at
or above thier anaerobic threshold might be comical at first, it gets old after 15 seconds or so. I
also have a habit of looking slightly down while grunting up the hills which makes for some great
scenery shots ;-> I think I'll put together a most painful climbs clip someday. It will most likely
be rated R due to foul language :)

Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> "John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > On Tue, 03 Dec 2002 05:57:58 GMT, Bill Porter wrote:
> > > >
> > > >
> > http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/p4f11680a09d575005ae550981128316
> > 5/fcfa4948.mpg
> > >
> > > Good stuff. Musta been a long ride up before that, though!
> > >
> > > --
> > > -BB-
> >
> > Yeah. I want to know why these videos never show the true form of mountain biking... the source
> > of much pain and much satisfaction... the climbs. I know several trails around my area that have
> > huge steep climbs, and I'd love to see some footage of people clearing them.
> >
> > -John Morgan
>
> For this particluar ride, it would have been, hey look at that rock. Yep that rock is still there.
> hey look he is past that rock. hey look another rock... And while the sound of ones lungs working
> at or above thier anaerobic threshold might be comical at first, it gets old after 15 seconds or
> so. I also have a habit of looking slightly down while grunting up the hills which makes for some
> great scenery shots ;-> I think I'll put together a most painful climbs clip someday. It will most
> likely be rated R due to foul language :)
>
> Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com
>

You could rig up one of those stupid camera rigs they use on "Fear Factor", you know the big
elephant trunk on a helmet that holds a camera out in front of the contestant, facing them. I think
half the people fail to complete the challenges due to having that thing straped to their head. All
for a really bad angle that they use maybe 5 seconds per show.
--

Chris Phillipo wrote:

>
>
>You could rig up one of those stupid camera rigs they use on "Fear Factor", you know the big
>elephant trunk on a helmet that holds a camera out in front of the contestant, facing them. I think
>half the people fail to complete the challenges due to having that thing straped to their head. All
>for a really bad angle that they use maybe 5 seconds per show.
>
>
I saw a Peter Gabriel video where he used a setup kinda like that- he had on a hard hat that had a
springy arm on which the small camera was located, facing back at him. The flexibility of the
structure was the inportant part- he would nod his head a little bit and send the camera bobbing
wildly back and forth. The wide-angle lens would make the image of his face shrink and expand
enormously with every bob of his head. A setup like that, as Bill is climbing, say, San Juan, would
be so comic...

Miles

On Fri, 6 Dec 2002 13:18:56 -0400, Chris Phillipo <[email protected]> wrote:

>You could rig up one of those stupid camera rigs they use on "Fear Factor", you know the big
>elephant trunk on a helmet that holds a camera out in front of the contestant, facing them. I think
>half the people fail to complete the challenges due to having that thing straped to their head. All
>for a really bad angle that they use maybe 5 seconds per show.

I have been tinkering with just such a thing and your right is very stupid looking. Not to mention
you could not ride a trail with the thing since it would surely get caught on something and rip your
neck apart. Since I have already built most of the thing I'll probably do some "test" footage on a
wide open trail somewhere just to see it to completion.

Bill,

When you bought your camera, did you buy the 380 or 480 line resolution camera?

Does it make a big difference which for mpg purposes?

Louis

On 10 Dec 2002 22:00:55 -0800, [email protected] (louisurfer) wrote:

>Bill,
>
>When you bought your camera, did you buy the 380 or 480 line resolution camera?
>
>Does it make a big difference which for mpg purposes?
>
>Louis

Actually I forgot. The company only offered one camera when I bought my system. I sent them an email
to find out. But either way, I am pretty sure my primary quality limitations are:
A) My camcorder is 8mm. The stuff would look better when I go to minDV
B) My capture card (Not all that great). This would be moot if I went to miniDV/firewire transfer.

Michael Paul has a 480line lipstick camera (not from helmetcamera.com) and I have plugged his
camera into my camcorder with nearly identical end results. So either I have a 480line camera as
well or it doen't make much difference when you are running into an 8mm camcorder. We did not plug
my lipstick camera into his miniDV and compare the quality but I am sure you'll get better going
into the miniDV.

As far as mpg purposes goes, The better quality you have to start with, the better it will look once
you have compressed/streamed it down for web posting.

I'll let you know once I find out which one I have.

Great thanks! Please post when you find out.

I appreciate the info.

Louis

On 12 Dec 2002 10:39:55 -0800, [email protected] (louisurfer) wrote:

>Great thanks! Please post when you find out.
>
>I appreciate the info.
>
>Louis

I got it figured out. I have the 380 line model.

Ah! Thanks!

I will be picking one up, but only after making sure it'll work with my Canon.

Louis

Status
Not open for further replies.