Honey water

Mish

Feb 28, 2004
No gels left and I did a 30 mile fast group ride tonight.
My kids have eaten all the good treats so I put 3 tbs of honey into a bottle of water. Along with another bottle of plain water I drank them both.
As a hypoglycemic I need to keep my sugar level regulated. I went well. Any thoughts on this as a regular practice for rides under 2 hours or so?
Any thoughts except "whatever works"

I like to put raw honey in a ziplok bag use a twisty tie and store a 1/4 piece of starburst candy in the other half of the bag. About an hour into the ride I bite the corner off and use the honey as gel. If I have enough left in the tank for an L5 effort on the last 3 minutes I use the 1/4 piece of starburst to prevent dry mouth after about a minute of chewing it sticks to my teeth so it doesn't fall out.

Mish said:
No gels left and I did a 30 mile fast group ride tonight.
My kids have eaten all the good treats so I put 3 tbs of honey into a bottle of water. Along with another bottle of plain water I drank them both.
As a hypoglycemic I need to keep my sugar level regulated. I went well. Any thoughts on this as a regular practice for rides under 2 hours or so?
Any thoughts except "whatever works"

some of my teammates use honey + celtic sea salt instead of a sports drink and swear by it

Gels are too expensive. I use honey almost exclusively, with an occasional bar or banana for longer rides.

As wiredued mentioned, I eat it out of a sandwich bag (bite the corner off) rather than putting it in the water bottle.

frenchyge said:
Gels are too expensive. I use honey almost exclusively, with an occasional bar or banana for longer rides.

As wiredued mentioned, I eat it out of a sandwich bag (bite the corner off) rather than putting it in the water bottle.
Gels are way too expensive but doesn't that get messy?

Did I mention I got the idea from you?:)

frenchyge said:

Animator said:
Gels are way too expensive but doesn't that get messy?
I had one blow out the side and all over my arm during the state championship RR last year, but that was a fluke -- I chalk it up to a faulty baggie and excess adrenaline! :D

Normally, there's not much more mess than an empty gel pack would be. I put mine in a regular plastic sandwich bag (not ziplock) by pouring it into one of the bottom corners. Then, I twist the top up tight and tie a knot just above the level of the honey. When eating, I hold the knot and loose end in my fist to put a small amount of pressure on the honey, forcing it up into the pointy corner of the bag. I make a very small opening in the point with my teeth and suck as much out as possible (like a gel) and then wad up the little bag and put it in my pocket until I get home.

For folks that toss their gel packets, there's no more mess with these.

wiredued said:
Did I mention I got the idea from you?:)
Did you? I swiped it from someone else (probably here) too, so I can't take full credit. :)

why not just get a gel flask (or maybe better yet a smaller squeezie bottle from a backpacking supply store)? The disadvantage to a gel flask is that it is a bit large and doesn't empty that well when its low, but the advantages would be - its reusable and a bit less leak prone than a baggie.

Eden said:
why not just get a gel flask (or maybe better yet a smaller squeezie bottle from a backpacking supply store)? The disadvantage to a gel flask is that it is a bit large and doesn't empty that well when its low, but the advantages would be - its reusable and a bit less leak prone than a baggie.

I eat a lot on the bike and I'm done buying gels. I'm gonna get a flask or some kind of squeeze bottle and use honey, salt, crushed up tums, crushed potassium, and crushed magnesium. You'll be seeing it on the shelves..."MishMash" gel replacement gunk

Eden said:
Honey's a bit thicker than Hammer Gel and the like, so I think it'd be a little tougher to get out of a bottle. Plus, there's washing the crusty honey out of the bottom of the bottle, I already have baggies, I'm lazy, yada yada yada..... yeah, tubes would probably work well too. :) Just to be clear, my "honey shots" (teammates laughingly refer to as "money shots") are single use packets, about 1.5oz each, so there's no 'leakage' per se. It either stays in the bag, or the bag explodes. :D

The recipes in the link below sound more syrupy than honey, and there are also some suggested tubes for DIY-ers.
http://www.summitpost.org/article/239378/Home-Made-Power-Gels-Energy-for-Less.html

I use ice-tea. Usually a Ceylon mixed with a Chinese black from the Fujian or the Yunnan province. Load it up with sugar and lemon and you are good to go.

I just read that you can power your car with water. Seriously, you probably didn't know that water is made out of oxygen and hydrogen. Both of these are highly flamable gasses. They are now selling converter kits that separate the hydrogen and oxygen and burns it. This really could be the end of the energy crisis. We won't have to worry about rising ocean levels because we could use the water in our cars. Cool.

Jeff Vader said:
I use ice-tea. Usually a Ceylon mixed with a Chinese black from the Fujian or the Yunnan province. Load it up with sugar and lemon and you are good to go.

I just read that you can power your car with water. Seriously, you probably didn't know that water is made out of oxygen and hydrogen. Both of these are highly flamable gasses. They are now selling converter kits that separate the hydrogen and oxygen and burns it. This really could be the end of the energy crisis. We won't have to worry about rising ocean levels because we could use the water in our cars. Cool.
Too bad that the process of separating oxygen and hydrogen requires more energy than the one provided by burning the single gases.

Simone@Italy said:
Too bad that the process of separating oxygen and hydrogen requires more energy than the one provided by burning the single gases.
You and your science. You're just a party pooper! :D