Hot Feet

lorendi

Guest
Just bought some new cycling shoes (Shimano SH-M152) that are very comfortable, even roomier than my
old shoes but they are hot. The dark color may be a factor. I know these are intended for off-road
but I'm using them on-road. Don't off-roaders need cool feet, too?

I'm thinking about drilling ventilation holes around the SPD cleats on = the bottoms, through the
inserts, and even on the sides toward the fronts. = Has anyone done this? Any downsides?

By the way, I use heavy coolmax or cotton socks. Part of my problem is a neuroma that becomes very
active (as in hurts like hell after 20 miles) = in hot weather (ambient above 90). I am trying a
home-made metatarsal pad (made from moleskin) for the ride this afternoon.

Thanks for any help.

LB

What does your podiatrist say about your gait? Do you pronate? Do you wear orthodics?

Two suggestions: Pedal/shoe alignment - try moving the cleat left or right in tiny increments to
minimize scrunching toes 3 and 4 together. Insole - maybe an insert would give you better arch
support, and distribute the pedaling force more evenly.

good luck, Bernie

[email protected] wrote:
: Just bought some new cycling shoes (Shimano SH-M152) that are very comfortable, even roomier than
: my old shoes but they are hot. The dark color may be a factor. I know these are intended for
: off-road but I'm using them on-road. Don't off-roaders need cool feet, too?

: I'm thinking about drilling ventilation holes around the SPD cleats on the bottoms, through the
: inserts, and even on the sides toward the fronts. Has anyone done this? Any downsides?

: By the way, I use heavy coolmax or cotton socks. Part of my problem is a neuroma that becomes very
: active (as in hurts like hell after 20 miles) in hot weather (ambient above 90). I am trying a
: home-made metatarsal pad (made from moleskin) for the ride this afternoon.

: Thanks for any help.

: LB

Make sure the screws that hold the cleats on the shoe are not a bit to long. They can cause very
uncomfortable hot spot if they are.

--------------------------------
Bob Masse' [email protected]
--------------------------------

baltobernie wrote:

> What does your podiatrist say about your gait? Do you pronate? Do you wear orthodics?
>
> Two suggestions: Pedal/shoe alignment - try moving the cleat left or right in tiny increments to
> minimize scrunching toes 3 and 4 together. Insole - maybe an insert would give you better arch
> support, and distribute the pedaling force more evenly.
>
> good luck, Bernie
>
> <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]... Just
> bought some new cycling shoes (Shimano SH-M152) that are very comfortable, even roomier than my
> old shoes but they are hot. The dark color may be a factor. I know these are intended for off-road
> but I'm using them on-road. Don't off-roaders need cool feet, too?
>
> I'm thinking about drilling ventilation holes around the SPD cleats on the bottoms, through the
> inserts, and even on the sides toward the fronts. Has anyone done this? Any downsides?
>
> By the way, I use heavy coolmax or cotton socks. Part of my problem is a neuroma that becomes very
> active (as in hurts like hell after 20 miles) in hot weather (ambient above 90). I am trying a
> home-made metatarsal pad (made from moleskin) for the ride this afternoon.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> LB

Sounds like the arch of your foot is collapsing, squeezing the nerve bundle at the front of your
foot. The collapsing arch is causing the nerve bundle to be squeezed by the set of bones just behind
your toe bones. The symptoms are heat and pain. It is worth dealing with early before you have
serious chronic pain. The usual answer is to go to a podiatrist and get fitted professionally with a
sports orthotic. The cheap trick is to try gluing a slice of rubber ball onto your insole. The idea
is to support the arch and keep the ball of your foot in the correct configuration. FWIW, I am not a
doctor, but did sell orthotics for a while some years ago. Some of what I learned stayed with me.
Very best regards, Another Bernie

On Fri, 16 May 2003 18:19:22 -0700, Bernie <[email protected]> wrote:

>baltobernie wrote:
>
>> What does your podiatrist say about your gait? Do you pronate? Do =
you wear
>> orthodics?
>>
>> Two suggestions: Pedal/shoe alignment - try moving the cleat left or right in tiny =
increments
>> to minimize scrunching toes 3 and 4 together. Insole - maybe an insert would give you better arch
>> support, and =
distribute
>> the pedaling force more evenly.
>>
>> good luck, Bernie
>>
>> <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]... Just
>> bought some new cycling shoes (Shimano SH-M152) that are very comfortable, even roomier than my
>> old shoes but they are hot. The =
dark
>> color may be a factor. I know these are intended for off-road but I'm using them on-road. Don't
>> off-roaders need cool feet, too?
>>
>> I'm thinking about drilling ventilation holes around the SPD cleats on=
the
>> bottoms, through the inserts, and even on the sides toward the fronts.=
Has
>> anyone done this? Any downsides?
>>
>> By the way, I use heavy coolmax or cotton socks. Part of my problem =
is a
>> neuroma that becomes very active (as in hurts like hell after 20 =
miles) in
>> hot weather (ambient above 90). I am trying a home-made metatarsal =
pad
>> (made from moleskin) for the ride this afternoon.
>>
>> Thanks for any help.
>>
>> LB
>
>Sounds like the arch of your foot is collapsing, squeezing the nerve =
bundle at
>the front of your foot. The collapsing arch is causing the nerve bundle=
to be
>squeezed by the set of bones just behind your toe bones. The symptoms =
are heat
>and pain. It is worth dealing with early before you have serious =
chronic pain.
>The usual answer is to go to a podiatrist and get fitted professionally =
with a
>sports orthotic. The cheap trick is to try gluing a slice of rubber =
ball onto
>your insole. The idea is to support the arch and keep the ball of your =
foot in
>the correct configuration. FWIW, I am not a doctor, but did sell orthotics for a while some years =
ago.
>Some of what I learned stayed with me. Very best regards, Another Bernie

Hmm, not sure I understand because I feel like there is plenty of room in the ball/toes area and
fairly good arch support in my shoes but I am becoming more convinced that I should see a
podiatrist. Meanwhile I believe I will try ventilating my shoes. The problem does not occur in
cooler weather.

Thanks.

Loren