How are your knees!!

JohnO said:
That's interesting - my knees have never hurt, never let out so much as a peep. My butt, on the other hand, makes all sorts of weird noises.

"give my knees to the needy, don't pull that stuff on me"

--John Prine

Noises from your butt is likely caused by your diet.........byfred

My 66 year old knees have picked up a little arthritis over the years, and they bother me a little, (a lot in some activities), but they are not a problem with cycling. They ache if I walk and I just don't bother skating anymore, but NO PROBLEM with cycling.........so far.

byfred

I have felt your pain and have tried many remedies the first and most important that I got from Jack Lalanne is calcium intake must excede your phosphorus intake. To accomplish this supplementing is probably necesary because many foods high in calcium are also high in phosphorus such as dairy I found 250 mg of calcium citrate to be enough to avoid the kind of pain that might discourage a vigoruos workout. The second thing which I got from the late Paul Bragg is avoid calcium carbonate which is limestone the main ingredient in concrete, it tends to get rejected by cells and build up in joints. Third do some research on the water you drink and avoid water with high calcium carbonate and or iron this will help keep the synovial fluid in your joints clear. Fourth avoid tea especially black tea its flouride content is to high and flouride when to high can cause calcification of tendons.

John Picton said:
Is it just my knees that creak? No pain, just creaking!

How about everyone else? Should I be concerned?

Does having good cycling shoes that fit to your pedals help you rather than toe clips? Any other opinions on how to save your knees?

I haven't heard that they are good for joints but cod liver oil is definitly good for dry eyes it helps hold moisture on the eye, omega 3 oils also do this.

John Picton said:
Anyone used Cod Liver Oil tablets. I've heard they are good for joints (not the smoking variety!).

I have heard the arthritis rate in Isreal is low due to higher Boron intake through food grown there do you think it is a factor?

ItsikH said:
Never had a problem with my knees (except one of my first rides 20 years ago when I set the saddle too high...). Its my feet that hurt on long rides, ever since I turned SPD. I suppose it's because I rarely "step on it" and keep a moderate pace, especially on long rides, that my knees are in such good condition. Climbs can be tough but always short in Israel.

wiredued said:
I have heard the arthritis rate in Isreal is low due to higher Boron intake through food grown there do you think it is a factor?
Never heard of it until your post! I had a quick search and indeed there are some researches about it.

Yes I think it makes the bonds between calcium and magnesium stronger but it is just a trace element so it is a fine line betweeen beneficial range and negative side effects. Any ways Isreal is probably not the safest place to ride a bike you might want to listen to "Hells best kept secret" it is a powerful message that was a great blessing to me http://www.livingwaters.com/listenwatch.shtml G-d Bless

ItsikH said:
Never heard of it until your post! I had a quick search and indeed there are some researches about it.

I had some creaking but I got rid of it after I adjusted a couple of items.

I got fitted for seat height. They I got the Lemond Wedges. These wedges took the pain and creaking out of my knees. Plus helped me with power transfer. Neat technology!

Now Specialized is building this type technology into their shoes.

I would try that.

wiredued said:
Yes I think it makes the bonds between calcium and magnesium stronger but it is just a trace element so it is a fine line betweeen beneficial range and negative side effects. Any ways Isreal is probably not the safest place to ride a bike you might want to listen to "Hells best kept secret" it is a powerful message that was a great blessing to me http://www.livingwaters.com/listenwatch.shtml G-d Bless
I keep telling but nobody believes me: The chances of an Israeli cycler to get involved in a terrorist act is about the same as being hit by a lightning (we have very few thunderstorms in Israel, mind you - never heard of a cycler hit by a lightning here). On the other hand, the drivers in Israel are *real* terrorists, threatening roadies like myself: A few dosens killed every year.

I've just got cycling shoes and cleats for the first time aged 49. How I wish I'd discovered them a couple of years earlier when I first took up endurance cycling! Having rocked my legs with my hand on the knees I can feel some creaking there. I am concerned that I could now get knee problems. My LBS fixed the cleats into my shoes and I was not asked to sit and see if I was pigeon toed or otherwise. A cycling colleague then told me that it was important to know this natural foot orientation when adjusting the cleats in the sole. Do you know of any easy way to set up the cleats in the shoe for your foot orientation to protect your knees? I've done a 140Km charity run with no knee problems recently, however I strained my left knee some how the other day and although the pain is minor and occasional it has not affected my cycling yet. I do wish to understand knees and cleats a little more so I can avoid any more damage! Have you any advice?:confused:

Wurm said:
I think clipless is better in the long run for the knees and joints than toe clips, if for nothing else than with clipless once you get the proper positioning, your foot is held in the right place. With toe clips/straps, you have a much greater occurance of sliding around and getting out of the best position, which could bother the knees over time.

My 43 year old knees creak a bit sometimes, and I get the 'snap, crackle, & pop' going sometimes too, but that's how I've always been. ;) It's probably just the muscles and tendons settling back into place once you're riding again.

But if you're having knee pain, it's usually a sign of improper saddle position and height, and/or misadjusted cleats. Go back and check those.

39, 1,85m, on 180mm cranks for at least 5 yrs, pedals with angular float and the knees are fine!

P.S. Do all knees fall in the category "cycling equipment"? Since I see a lot of them misused for other purposes.

jvs said:
P.S. Do all knees fall in the category "cycling equipment"? Since I see a lot of them misused for other purposes.

My knees seem to cost me alot of money and make creaking noises when not working properly... that seems to fit the criteria for 'cycling equipment' :)

But seriously... I take 1 1000mg glucosamine sulfate tablet each day which seems to be working. The treatment was recommended to me by a riding mate who just happens to own the chemist I frequent - which is suss because they are pretty bloody expensive. :confused:

This seems to have the 'creaking' under control (not really audible for me but sure as hell can be felt - feels like my joint has sandpaper in it). My knees however still struggle without float - I am using my Time impact road pedals on my track bike instead of the keywin lockins which still cause too much pain.

I read this poll with some amusement. I HAVE bad knees. I can't run/jog, play tennis or R Ball. I took up cycling to have some physical activity, and can spin my 10-20 miles a day no problem. It's going back up the steps!

starship said:
I read this poll with some amusement. I HAVE bad knees. I can't run/jog, play tennis or R Ball. I took up cycling to have some physical activity, and can spin my 10-20 miles a day no problem. It's going back up the steps!

That's exactually how I feel............it "kills" me to even skate but I can spin my bike all day, no problem, until I walk up stairs to have my shower. GOD must be a cyclist, eh?

...........byfred

Hi,

I always had some problems with my knees. Then I started to ride my bike. It became better but the problems weren't gone. As I started to run, I though my knees would become worse and more painful. But it was the opposite: Since I'm running I had hardly no problems with my knees anymore!

Hauke

byfred said:
That's exactually how I feel............it "kills" me to even skate but I can spin my bike all day, no problem, until I walk up stairs to have my shower. GOD must be a cyclist, eh?

...........byfred

I HOPE SO! Bike Lanes in Heaven for sure if He is!

mine creak and I sometimes have pain, however I would guess that is due to a career in american football(one broken patella or kneecap, and a dislocation of the other patella).

People almost always mention bike fit in these cases but rarely mention the real importance of technique. Over aggressive cycling can screw up the knees in some individuals. That's why I changed my methodology and have practised "feeling" knee tension when I ride (using my gears efficiently and avoiding strain on the joint). This isn't as easy as it might appear and technique is tricky to refine.
All in all, spinning is the way to go in my opinion and make sure the seat is the right height. So long as your knees don't hurt you're O.K. but knees certainly need taking care of.
John Picton said:
Is it just my knees that creak? No pain, just creaking!

How about everyone else? Should I be concerned?

Does having good cycling shoes that fit to your pedals help you rather than toe clips? Any other opinions on how to save your knees?