How dangerous are rabbits?

In news:[email protected],
Rob Morley <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> zzapper
> [email protected] says...
>> Hi,
>> There are dozens of rabbits along my favorite run. I whistle or ring
>> my bell to clear the path, but I guess inevitably one day I will hit
>> one.

> As long as you announce your presence I doubt it, unless it's already
> sick or injured. You might clip one with a pedal though, as they tend
> to zigzag and double back to evade predators so if startled may run
> back into you.

Or if it's trying and failing to climb up a steep bank. Had a bunrab do
this on last year's Marlborough Connection - it failed to scramble up the
bank and fell back into the road, headbutting one of the Trice's front
wheels as it did. However, there were no ears, tail or other bits of
dismembered bunrab stuck to the spokes, so I guess it got off with a
headache at worst.

Funny day, that one; two minutes previously there was almost a very similar
incident, if one substitutes Mr Larrington for the bunrab and a blind git in
a 5-series for Mr Larrington. Fortunately I missed.

--
Dave Larrington
Historians' Right To Work Campaign - We Demand A Continuing

On Jul 19, 1:47 pm, "p.k." <[email protected]> wrote:
> Marc Brett wrote:
> > Richond Park has a perticularly wonderful downhill bordered by
> > rabbit-infested bracken on either side. When our daughter was
> > bike-seat-sized, I whizzed down it, and of course a rabbit wandered
> > onto the Tamsin Trail. It was a choice between a crash with the
> > baby, or rabbit stew. Thump thump went the wheels, and I couldn't
> > stop neither, so missed out on the stew. I still feel guilty about
> > it.

> Don't feel guilty, just be thankful it was not a 7 point stag!
>
> pk

On Sunday (or maybe Monday) there was a squished snake at the top of
that short steep hill just after Kingston Gate.

On 18 Jul, 23:09, zzapper <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
> There are dozens of rabbits along my favorite run. I whistle or ring
> my bell to clear the path, but I guess inevitably one day I will hit
> one.That won't be very good for the rabbit but how risky is it for me?
>
> --
> zzapper
>
> http://SuccessTheory.com/tips/

i was walking in north wales on a path leading to dinorwig quarry.i
passed a farm gate with a sign.
warning
private property
dangerous cows,rabbits,children.
they were recent english immigrants.
id hate to be attacked by rabbits or children....lol.
think ill photograph it one day,its worth publishing.
gareth
ecologist

Rob Morley explained :
> In article <[email protected]>,
> zzapper
> [email protected] says...
>> Hi,
>> There are dozens of rabbits along my favorite run. I whistle or ring
>> my bell to clear the path, but I guess inevitably one day I will hit
>> one.

> As long as you announce your presence I doubt it, unless it's already
> sick or injured. You might clip one with a pedal though, as they tend
> to zigzag and double back to evade predators so if startled may run back
> into you.

I once hit a jinking rabbit (or rather, it ran across and through my
wheel). I was descending on a reasonably solid hack bike at the time,
but the rabbit certainly wasn't dismembered, and actually ran off,
although presumably injured. I got a faceful of tarmac.

>> That won't be very good for the rabbit but how risky is it for me?
>>

> Not at all if you manage to bunny hop over it.
> I ran right over a kamikaze chicken once - I hardly felt the bump. Wild
> rabbits can weigh up to 10 pounds, which would be a bigger bump, but
> they're squidgy so if you just hold your line you'll probably be OK (and
> the rabbit will have a better chance of getting out of the way).

But as you've said, they do tend to jink, as I found out to my cost...

--
Simon

On Jul 19, 4:13 pm, Marc Brett <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 17:20:04 +0100, "wafflycat"
>
> <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote:
>
> >"zzapper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >> Hi,
> >> There are dozens of rabbits along my favorite run. I whistle or ring
> >> my bell to clear the path, but I guess inevitably one day I will hit
> >> one.That won't be very good for the rabbit but how risky is it for me?

> >The university my offspring, who is a keen cyclist, is hoping to start
> >attending this autumn has grounds which are positively *infested* with
> >rabbits. My offspring, who plans to live in hall of residence, has already
> >commented upon the availablity of good lean meat. I think that for those
> >particular rabbits it won't be very good at all, but it has the potential to
> >be good for my offspring in helping to keep his food bills low. ;-)

> Fellow in my dorm (Queen's University, Kingston), spent the summers
> trapping and skinning beaver. A slingshot, infinite supply of grey
> squirrels, and presto -- fresh meat and lowest food bills of any of us.
> All he needed to buy were spices and rice.

But he must get a lousy price for the skins! Still not that many
beaver on campus even in winter so I don't suppose he has much
choice. :(

Ducks and muskrats down by city hall though. ???

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

On Jul 20, 2:56 pm, gary2006uk <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 18 Jul, 23:09, zzapper <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > There are dozens of rabbits along my favorite run. I whistle or ring
> > my bell to clear the path, but I guess inevitably one day I will hit
> > one.That won't be very good for the rabbit but how risky is it for me?

> > --
> > zzapper

> >http://SuccessTheory.com/tips/

> i was walking in north wales on a path leading to dinorwig quarry.i
> passed a farm gate with a sign.
> warning
> private property
> dangerous cows,rabbits,children.
> they were recent english immigrants.
> id hate to be attacked by rabbits or children....lol.
> think ill photograph it one day,its worth publishing.
> gareth
> ecologist

I was once charged by a ram on the Orkneys. I was laughing at the
beast until I realised there was a hole in the fence.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

"zzapper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
> There are dozens of rabbits along my favorite run. I whistle or ring
> my bell to clear the path, but I guess inevitably one day I will hit
> one.That won't be very good for the rabbit but how risky is it for me?

Very, I think. One ran under my front wheel and got caught between the wheel
and the mud-guard. I nearly went over the bars. The rabbit dragged itself
into the undergrowth, seriously injured.
BTW how would you kill an injured rabbit? It's not that easy.

Tom.

Tom Orr wrote:

> BTW how would you kill an injured rabbit? It's not that easy.

Break its neck is the quickest and easiest

Tony