How do I select shoes?

ThatBiker

Aug 1, 2005
Hello. I've been training (for leisure) pretty hard at the gym in preparation for spring/summer and this year I'd like to upgrade my pedals. My average ride is about a 22 mile course. I'm a pretty basic rider. I would like to spend as little as possible while getting quality parts, my cap is $200 for both shoes and pedals.

First of all, I have chosen Crank Brothers Candy SL ($70 locally, new in box) or Look PP206 (if the candy sl has been sold.) The reason I have chosen these is because, according to some light research, there isn't really a bad choice with pedals, and both Look and Crank Brothers are reputable brands. The Candy SL are $70 (normally $100) so they should be a slightly better value than the PP206, which received high scores on roadbikereview from many people, and are only $70 new.

My first question is, these two pedals have such different design, will one shoe fit both, or do different shoes have different clip attachment mechanisms? (Along with the essential: should i avoid these pedals, is there anything of better value?)

The second question is, what am I supposed to look for in a shoe? I would rather buy the shoe at a local bike shop so I can try it on for a good fit. I wouldn't want to get a tight or loose shoe online and have to return it. What are some popular brands I should stick to? I have no idea what to look for and don't want to become a victim to a salesman.

I reside in New York City, so there are a lot of bike shops I can visit.

Thanks for your support :)