How do you pick a new saddle??

rjcgix

Oct 30, 2003
Greetings.
My new stock Trek 1000 came with a Bontrager seat.

Every time I go to the bike shops I see expensive saddles, odd looking saddles(like space inbetween), hard/flat saddles, gel saddles etc.

If I ever wanted to change my saddle, where in the world would I begin?

How does one know one will like the saddle, or how does one know what kind to choose?

:confused:

Originally posted by rjcgix
Greetings.

Every time I go to the bike shops I see expensive saddles, odd looking saddles(like space inbetween), hard/flat saddles, gel saddles etc.

How does one know one will like the saddle, or how does one know what kind to choose?

Its a very general statement as each one has a somewhat different anatomy as to how we really feel on a saddle... Brandname has nothing to do with the comfort it will give you while on that saddle. Some like gel seats, others like the standard.

Best thing would be is to just use your current saddle for a while and see how you feel on it and then if there are discomforts, you can adjust the fore/aft position and the seatpost height...

Hey, do I know you from some forum??? Does gixxer.com sound familiar? Have you 'hang-up' your leathers and turned to cycling now?!?! :)

Greetings.

The best way to handle this is to develop a relationship with your LBS so that they will let you field test several models until you find one that works well for you.

Greetings.

I start by measuring my favorite. It's a hit or miss proposition. I went through a half dozen saddles before I had one that I liked well enough to use for each of my three bikes. Once you know what shape works best for you, then you can feel a little better about spending $100 or more on a really nice one.

For me it's wider than most in the rear but skinnier in the middle and towards the front. My hiker's legs have really thick thighs, and a thicker nose seems to have me working myself forward as I pedal. The stock saddle on my Trek kept doing this to me. I also look for saddles in the 220-250g range. Something about my tailbone make a split between the cheeks more comfortable too. Cutouts help with the package, but to make room for the cutout, many of these saddles end up too wide for me.

I like the feel of real leather, and every simulated leather saddle I've owned has worn out too quick. Titanium rails seem to make a saddle with less padding feel a little springier too. I know this might not be much help for you, but saddles are a very personal thing. What works best for me is an Avocet that my LBS mechanic can't stand.

Originally posted by tanggoman
Its a very general statement as each one has a somewhat different anatomy as to how we really feel on a saddle... Brandname has nothing to do with the comfort it will give you while on that saddle. Some like gel seats, others like the standard.

Best thing would be is to just use your current saddle for a while and see how you feel on it and then if there are discomforts, you can adjust the fore/aft position and the seatpost height...

Hey, do I know you from some forum??? Does gixxer.com sound familiar? Have you 'hang-up' your leathers and turned to cycling now?!?! :)

Tango, my brother man, how's it going!!!!! I wondered how long it would be till I ran into a gix buddy. Hell, only took 2 days!!!!! Im still riding the big bike, just looking to get into something that give me excercise also!!!!! I didnt know you were into cycling, so that will be awesome.

thanks to all for the saddle recommendations. One of you mentiond sliding of their stock seat, and thats something that keeps happening to me on my stock seat. Maybe seat position though, so ill play with that some, see if it gets better and if it doesnt, Ill work with my LBS to see if I can try other seats.

thanks again for the ideas.

One of you mentiond sliding of their stock seat, and thats something that keeps happening to me on my stock seat.

thanks again for the ideas.
Maybe the tilt is wrong.Should not be far from horizontal at the nose,but I have seen some very strange stuff that wold have to be pure torture. sometimes the sddle is just wrong tho.

Originally posted by boudreaux
Maybe the tilt is wrong.should not be far from horizontal at the nose,but I have seen some very strange stuff that wold have to be pure torture. sometimes the sddle is just wrong tho.

I beleive the is no tilt on the saddle, I think its as horizontal as it can be. Maybe ill try moving the noze up just a tiney tad, as im not sure how comfortable that would be. If it isnt comfortable, then as you say, may be the saddle type, and ill look for somethign else.

Greetings.

All others have good advice. I'll add one comment: Less (saddle) is often more (comfortable). Although it is counterintuitive, more contact area, as on a soft, wide saddle, can mean more area subject to crushing and nerve pain, not more comfort.

During the great impotency scare (hoax) of the late 90s, I went from my usual Flite Ti to a Specialized Body Geometry Comp. Thinking it might be essential to my health, I gave it about six months and several thousand miles and tweaked it in every way to make it comfortable. All it did was numb my nether region and give me hip pain. I went back to my Flite Ti for instant relief. I have moved on to an SLR, which I find even comfier than the Flite Ti.

Friends with butt pain have sometimes first added layers (gel seats, gel shorts, padded saddles) and found the pain increases. Only by removing layers have they found relief. YBMV, of course.

As one poster said, find a friendly LBS and try its saddles. I suggest you can also borrow saddles from your cycling buddies, the failed saddle experiments that now sit in boxes and drawers.

Tango, my brother man, how's it going!!!!! I wondered how long it would be till I ran into a gix buddy. Hell, only took 2 days!!!!! Im still riding the big bike, just looking to get into something that give me excercise also!!!!! I didnt know you were into cycling, so that will be awesome.

You've picked the right choice, bro!!! Welcome to the elite club!!!

Good to know that you're still riding the big bike... how's the situation there in SoCAL, all I see here are the news of the devastation, are you guys affected by the wildfires?

I've been on a saddle quest for the past year. Still haven't found the perfect seat, but it's getting better. So far:

My MTB came with a Bontrager seat that was sheer torture. I put a Serfas MTB seat on it and have been happy ever since.

The road bike is a bit different, as you tend to stay on it longer, and in the same position longer.

I started with a Selle Royal Gel, but it put pressure on soft tissue, very uncomfortable after an hour or so.

Tried a Serfas dd vado, but it caused saddle sores.

Got a used Fizik Pave from ebay for $20, it's actually pretty good.

Lately, I put on a Selle Trans Am SLR - very light, and actually comfortable, but it has a narrow 'sweet spot' - if you sit jut right it feels great, move around and you get saddle sores.

So I'm down to the Selle SLR and Fizik Pave, both seem to be working well. Been thinking about the Fizik Aliante, but that price is a bit hard to get past.

Bought a Cannondale tandem for myself and the wife, seat was junk so I pulled the Serfas from the MTB, and put the Selle Royal on the MTB, as I don't usually ride it for an hour without stopping. That worked out fine on both bikes.

Point is, you gotta try a few styles and see what works for you. Everyone is a little different in the end, if you catch my drift. Might check ebay, some good deals show up from time to time.

Greetings.

I would buy a Brooks saddle. They're the last of the solid leather saddle makers but I think they have a leg up on the techno weenies who buy a saddle because it's 2.57 grams lighter than the one they've got. If comfort is the real issue, buy a Brooks. I've got em on both my road bikes and an Ideale 90 (French--no longer made) on my city bike.

Greetings.

whatever you do - don't listen to someone who says that you have to buy a certain saddle because it works for them. that is the kiss of rear end death. IMHO saddle comfort is based on riding style and your own personal geometry. for instance, are your hips wide or narrow. that will determine the distance between your sit bones which will affect the type of saddle that will be comfortabel for you. analyze your style and yourself and then make an informed choice. i found the selleitalia.com website to be instructive. there is a section under products called " how to pick a saddle". check it out and good luck.

bob

Greetings.

Bob is right. Don't buy a saddle because somebody says to buy a saddle. ( I believe I just contradicted myself.)
Begin by accepting the fact that finding a saddle that feels good to you is a hit-and-miss. trial-and-error crapshoot.
Brooks started making bicycle saddles in 1882 and their still in business. That, I think, says something. They've never been on the hotlist of the go-fast crowd because solid leather weighs more than titanium rails and synthetic shells. But leather breathes and over time, conforms itself to the contour of your butt and your butt only.
I have to concede there are some excellent newer saddles out there. (A Selle San Marco Rolls always felt good to me.) But it's a crapshoot. Enjoy yourself.
(Maybe someday, somebody will start a used saddle exchange fashioned after EBay.)

Another important thing to note is: don't ride a saddle just once and make a judgment on that; for some saddles, comfort only comes after riding a few hundred k's on them, after they have a chance to conform to your body (and your body gets used to the new saddle surface.)

As an example, I picked up an SLR XP on the cheap just recently, and on the first ride I got a saddle sore after just 30km. However now, 150km later, it's amazingly comfortable (when you sit in the 'sweet spot' that JohnO talks about.)

But yeah, in the end, it's a crapshoot. Most LBSes understand this and have a variety of test saddles you can loan for a little while to get the feel of them.

For me as relatively new into fitness riding I finally got my sit area tough enough that I always was comfortable riding on it. I then started to analyze what I didn't like about it. I found the rear end of the saddle where it went wide was rubbing at the back of my legs which made my butt move forward on the seat. I decided to get a saddle with a long nose as wide as the seat I had with less widening in the rear.

I rode a 35 mile ride with it the first chance I had to ride my bike after being away from town for a week. I was sore in the butt and in the legs. I was doing minor adjustments as I rode to try to zero in the proper height/setback and tilt. For me, the downside of changing is I did not make the measurement of seat surface-height to some reference so the replacement seat would be in the same place.

I learned that it takes time to get your existing seat positioned just right and as you get more fit, that sweet spot changes because the body changes. I suppose once I have over a year on my bike I will have zeroed in on the seat I am most comfortable with based on my physical stature, my fitness level and the way I ride my bike.

An LBS is a great help so use your when you get around to changing your seat. Getting the new one in the right position is critical. After that it's a matter of time to get the body to adjust to the new seat. Only after the body is adjusted can you begin to analyze what is wrong with that particular seat.

Originally posted by tanggoman
You've picked the right choice, bro!!! Welcome to the elite club!!!

Good to know that you're still riding the big bike... how's the situation there in SoCAL, all I see here are the news of the devastation, are you guys affected by the wildfires?

I've only been on this site a week, and already I can tell its the shiznits!!!!! It reminds me a lot of Gixxer.com, but without all the drama and a-holes that are over there now(im hardly on that site anymore).

I have recently done track days on the big bike and noticed how out of shape I was, especially my legs. I've always gone to the gym, but honestly have always negleted my legs. So the cycling should really help, not only my legs, but all around. So I hope to get into good shape.

The fires out here are pretty much out, but when they were really burning, man oh man, was it smokey down here. I live about 5 miles south of where one of the big fires was, and although it never really would have come down to us, when the winds were blowing, the huge clouds of smoke and ash were coming our way. It sucks for a few days. But can complain, at least we still have our home.

Back to the topic.......to all that replied...thanks for all the awesome answers. I guess I gotta give my stock seat more time, to learn what I dont like about it....and then as you all say, try and find an LBS that will work with me. Thanks again for the excellent advice.
:D