How far is too far?

xxamr_corpxx

Mar 16, 2006
When I graduate my workplace will be almost 30 miles or 50km away, half of it is 6-10% hills. Does anyone commute daily on this sort of distance? Are you quite tired when you arrive to work?

xxamr_corpxx said:
When I graduate my workplace will be almost 30 miles or 50km away, half of it is 6-10% hills. Does anyone commute daily on this sort of distance? Are you quite tired when you arrive to work?
Have you considered getting an electric hub or honda gx31- gx50cc/ robin-subaru 35cc power assist.? My commute would be 24 miles each way. I enjoy sleeping in my car at lunch, so i don't commute by bike!

xxamr_corpxx said:
I commute at least 26 miles each way to work, at least a couple of times per week. I often turn them into longer loops. My favorite routes feature a number of climbs like you describe. More important to me than being tired is having a place to shower. I suppose that a good towel-bath kind of thing would be okay, but having a shower really helps.

I have found that keeping my office well stocked with good post-ride food and recovery drinks is important too. I also keep extra gear, tubes, pump etc...at the office in case of a mechanical or the weather changes, and I ALWAYS have another pair of cycling shorts with me or available at the office for the return trip. Avoid the potential for bacteria and "saddle sores" at all costs!

A great set of lights is a necessity also, and carry your cell phone.

I ride between 200-300 miles every week and race so I don't worry about the "fitness" question, but if you start a regimen like this, you probably won't have that worry either after a while. Check with your doctor if you're new to riding or new to this kind of mileage and have questions in relation to your health.

Thanks for helping to conserve!

On most commutes, 30 miles is going to be about a two-hour ride each way. There aren't very many jobs where you can devote four hours to riding and still work 8 hours during the day. Not to mention that for most of the year you will be doing some of that riding in the dark. I think 30 miles each way is too much of a stretch for most people.

If you are a racer who puts in a few hundred miles a week anyway, that's another story.

If you have a good place where you can park your car, you might consider driving half way with your bike, leave the car, and ride the rest of the way. That would reduce your bicycle portion of the commute to 15 miles each way.

xxamr_corpxx said:

You could ride in one day and back the next or do a variation were you go in and out one day and then one way the next two.
There are always ways to get around this sort of a problem

Leon

Raleighroader said:
On most commutes, 30 miles is going to be about a two-hour ride each way. There aren't very many jobs where you can devote four hours to riding and still work 8 hours during the day. Not to mention that for most of the year you will be doing some of that riding in the dark. I think 30 miles each way is too much of a stretch for most people.

If you are a racer who puts in a few hundred miles a week anyway, that's another story.

If you have a good place where you can park your car, you might consider driving half way with your bike, leave the car, and ride the rest of the way. That would reduce your bicycle portion of the commute to 15 miles each way.
Good points, but what is the actual difference between ride and drive time? It isn't that great for me, only about 30 to 40 minutes longer each way to ride than drive, so the extra time comittment is only about an hour and a half including clean up. I save about 8 bucks in gas every day I ride because I have a truck that only gets about 20 mpg highway.:eek:

The other thing is that I kill two birds..., Today I got my workout in doing 2 hrs of Tempo training intervals to work ( extra loops) and a little over an hour recovery ride home. If I drove I would spend over an hour driving and ANOTHER 3+ riding. I work about 50 hours per week so I have to get my riding in at odd hours a lot, 5 am or 11 pm many times, so it depends on your motives, training, fitness, economy, necessity? Riding in the bad weather and in the dark is just a matter of clothing and lighting, but you also need to take into consideration the traffic levels, road conditions etc...Safety is paramount. But to answer your original question, the answer is still "yes" you can commute 30 miles each way to work if the conditions are right.

If the distance is too great, drive partway and bike the rest.

Take your bike to work in the car and ride it home. Ride in the next day and drive home.

Take your bike in the car to where a nicer commute to work would be, and commute from there!

Check out the weather report for the next day and start your commute from a place that will provide tailwinds for your ride at the end of the day!

Once you decide to make your commute hybrid, (Part of the trip in your car and the rest on your bike) there are many creative ways to do it!

Cheers! BIZ

Ride when the weather is nice, drive/bus/train/ferry when the weather is poor. :)

That's a good point, riding in the rain is quite bad in these parts due to the lack of streetlights and such.

Anyway, I'll probably be buying some touring orientated wheels and a new Ultegra equipped bike for this soon hopefully.

This is not my exact ride, but it's darned close!

raelectricchaindrive.jpg

My commute is now 20 miles one way, and I do it every day the weather allows. I average around 19mph for the round trip commute! I also avoid using the car on weekends when the weather allows too!!

Robbie

Raleighroader said:

hey, I did this before.
but now I enjoy more, to bring my bike on the train.
stop at any station I prefer,depending how fit my body is, and proceed biking...

xxamr_corpxx said:

You'll be quite a stinky-poo turning up for work after a 50km slog over hill and dale. I've seen the NZ countryside from a camper, but not a bike, so I reckon you should look at about 10km and then go to work! I am in agreement though with the other posts re the distance being too much ie. ride 50km/one way then work 8 hours!!

Robbie Hatfield said:
This is not my exact ride, but it's darned close!

raelectricchaindrive.jpg

My commute is now 20 miles one way, and I do it every day the weather allows. I average around 19mph for the round trip commute! I also avoid using the car on weekends when the weather allows too!!

Robbie

This is a fantastic recumbent. Is it home brew or custom frame? I had this in mind for some time in the future. Dunno about the lecky motor though........ :cool:

Bah, it's not too far if you want to do it.

I ride 31 miles to work each way. It is 1:45-2:00 each way depending upon the winds. I find that after you do it for a while, the winds don't beat you up too much; they just make you slower. Of course, I don't have any mountains here in Minnesota.;)

It simply depends upon your fitness level and your commitment level. I started out driving part way and riding the rest. Then, I realized that there was only a negligible time savings by driving, so I just ride the whole way. Unless the weather is lousy, in which case, the car can do all the work.

I have no trouble with working the eight hours after riding in. Though, when I get home, I pretty much just want to eat and hit the hay.