How fast do you guys ride? (MPH)

jmass03

Aug 30, 2007
Just curious...how fast do you guys normally ride (MPH). Thanks!

Jonathan

Did a Crit today. Pro 1/2/3. 60 laps and avg. speed was 25.8mph. And it wasn't flat either.

did a 170 km training ride on the weekend, with an average speed of 35.2..supose thats pretty good

tarmacguy said:
did a 170 km training ride on the weekend, with an average speed of 35.2..supose thats pretty good
do you mean that 35.2 in km? or mph? If so, thats tough to believe.

And 25 mph is pretty insane to the other poster above. I wish I could have an average speed of around there. Suppose I got a lot of training to doooo :rolleyes:

jmass03 said:
do you mean that 35.2 in km? or mph? If so, thats tough to believe.

And 25 mph is pretty insane to the other poster above. I wish I could have an average speed of around there. Suppose I got a lot of training to doooo :rolleyes:
While in a pack, the avg speed is usually greater. Do you ride alone or with a group of friends?

For moderate pace trail riding: 17-18 MPH on my road bike and 15-16 on my mountain bike.

I averaged almost 16 (15.7) on the 50 miles I did yesterday. It was mostly rolling hills and it drizzled almost the whole 3 hours.
I did 21 miles on Friday and averaged around 16 also.
I have a flat 15 mile recovery ride that I do, wherein I average about 17 or 18.

20 mile training ride saturday morning, 16.3 mph solo.
10 mile tt 18.3.
2 mile all out 22 mph
all out sprint, no lead out 26mph.

My goal for this time next year is to be 3-5 mph faster in all categories.

jmass03 said:
Just curious...how fast do you guys normally ride (MPH). Thanks!...
I think Alex summed it up best, but here's some more data:
  • Fun social rides with my wife: 16-18 mph average speed
  • Typical training rides: 19-21 mph average door to door 22-25 mph during 20 minute threshold efforts
  • Century rides: 18-20 mph average speed (these are for fun and training)
  • Road races: 20-24 mph average depending on course and group tactics
  • Crits: 24-28 mph average speed
  • Flat Time Trials: 24-28 mph depending on length, wind and road surface
  • Best long ride ever 21.2 mph average speed for 206 miles and 7500 feet of climbing this past weekend in a sanctioned race from Logan Utah to Jackson Wyoming.
Yeah, I'm blowin' my own horn a bit, but FWIW those aren't really fast times and I'm not winning most of my races. The fast guys are a lot faster and I was half an hour slower than the guy that won my race on Saturday.

-Dave

Cat 4/5 crit earlier this summer we averaged 26mph on a flat rectangular course with one scary turn. I maxed out at 37.7 mph on final sprint. On my own, I am lucky to get past 30mph on a sprint. Drafting and adrenaline make all the difference in the world.

50 mile road race a couple of weeks ago, we averaged under 22mph. Like they say, the average doesn't matter, the accelerations are what get you. I was positioned poorly in the back of the pack and was dropped a couple of times before sticking with the lead group - I thought my legs were going to fall off trying to catch back up.

daveryanwyoming said:
  • Best long ride ever 21.2 mph average speed for 206 miles and 7500 feet of climbing this past weekend in a sanctioned race from Logan Utah to Jackson Wyoming.
Yeah, I'm blowin' my own horn a bit, but FWIW those aren't really fast times and I'm not winning most of my races. The fast guys are a lot faster and I was half an hour slower than the guy that won my race on Saturday.

-Dave
Lotoja is wicked! 21.2 MPH is fast. I'm currently having a hard time riding more than 3 hrs at 17 MPH :eek:. How'd you stack up? Sounds like you finished not far behind my friend Norm who got 3rd overall 2 years ago.

EDIT: Never mind, I just found it: http://www.cyclingforums.com/t-377472-15-8.html

Piotr said:
Lotoja is wicked! .... How'd you stack up? ....
It was quite a ride, more carnival than race with riders from all groups mixed together. About twenty miles in we all coalesced into a megapelaton of several hundred riders till we hit the first big climbs. Ones, twos, threes, fours, fives, master 35s, master 45s, tandems... I looked down at one point and saw we were doing 51 mph and I was at least 100 riders deep with maybe twice as many behind me with five to six riders abreast. I kept thinking "nobody do anything stupid...." A crash up front would have resulted in triage with a group that size descending at that speed.

Anyway I finished 11th in the Master's 45 group and 71st overall out of 1460 riders. No world records, but a ride I'm happy with.

-Dave

When the season starts after no biking for maybe 3 months (a cold winter or hot rainy summer to blame) I avg 14.7 mph on a fat burning workout. Then it goes up to 18.9 mph avg. All this on the flat Chicago Lake Shore Drive bike path. Just to do 20 mph avg on a workout ride - I hit 91.35% MHR - which wouldn't burn much fat. In fact all my rides are fat burning workouts or else I consider riding a waste of my time.

I like to eat, so I have to ride!

Highest speed sprint - 32.9 mph flats no wind.

Depends on day and how much sleep I got the night before (effects on HR).

Rest days...spinning 15-18mph
Aerobic days...spinning or turning big gears 18-22mph
TT...24-26mph
Sprinting...35 (pretty much my max due to crappy junior gearing)