How fast do you guys ride? (MPH)

Today, I did 28.939124 mph average for my six hour base training ride in zone 2. I start ramping up next month. My rooster is 8.5 inches. I don't know what that is in metric.

daveryanwyoming said:
... till we hit the first big climbs. Ones, twos, threes, fours, fives, master 35s, master 45s, tandems... I looked down at one point and saw we were doing 51 mph ... -Dave
Damn, Dave, you must have really been spinning that granny gear!

dsschanze said:
Depends on day and how much sleep I got the night before (effects on HR).
Everytime I'm sleep deprived, I seemed to ride better on our Sun morning training rides. Weird!

How fast do I ride? 0.1mph faster than sogood. 0.2 if there's a strain on his face. 1.0 if there's a big strain on his face.

Solo training rides on the brake hoods and top bar
Up a mountain 8mph
Down a mountain 49mph(drops)
Flat 20mph 20 minutes
Rolling hills 18.4mph 1hr 15min
Rolling hills 15.6mph 6hr

19.3 MPH for 1hr 30 min up a 1% grade (OK, it's simulated 1% grade on the Kurt Kinetic :p),
58 MPH downhill for 30 sec,:cool:
8.5 MPH up 7.9% grade ave. for 41 min,:eek:
45 MPH down 7.9 % grade ave. for 8 min, :D

The only impressive number I could state at the moment is 40 to 0 in less than 2 seconds. The result was not good. :)

Felt_Rider said:
The only impressive number I could state at the moment is 40 to 0 in less than 2 seconds. The result was not good. :)
I've had a couple of those but not quite that extreme. Stopping unexpectedly is much more fun than going fast :D

AngryPenguin said:
I've had a couple of those but not quite that extreme. Stopping unexpectedly is much more fun than going fast :D
Here is a picture of that episode. (Select the Speed menu on the left.) :eek:

This year I would like to climb that hill at 7+ pace and hopefully not crash going down the other side.

21.2 mph average speed for 206 miles and 7500 feet of climbing

yikes! i'm glad you live in wyoming!!!!! that's damn fast to me:eek:

great job!

-Mike

Felt_Rider said:
Here is a picture of that episode. (Select the Speed menu on the left.) :eek:

This year I would like to climb that hill at 7+ pace and hopefully not crash going down the other side.
If you tick the heartrate box your heart stopped when you crashed :eek:

Thats a very cool website, will have to get one of those Garmin thingys.

AngryPenguin said:
If you tick the heartrate box your heart stopped when you crashed :eek:

Thats a very cool website, will have to get one of those Garmin thingys.
Yep, it is the Edge 305, but I suppose the HR strap was not getting good contact in that flat line. This is what the ride would have looked like without the crash.

I don't think I will get up to Piotr's 58 downhill speed.:)

tarmacguy said:
did a 170 km training ride on the weekend, with an average speed of 35.2..supose thats pretty good
If you were riding alone for this (not in a group or behind a derny), and weren't riding on a 170km downhill ride, or with a wind behind you this is improbable.

Unless of course you are a really good pro. (or drafting one)

With a group, on a flat ride, without too much wind this is plausible, but alone? No way.

How do I know? I ride elites in Holland, which is totally flat, (although very windy) and it's considered "good form" for an elite rider riding alone (on a not windy day) to get a shade under 3 hours for a 100km training ride. another 70km on that, with a higher speed? alone? Sorry.....

daveryanwyoming said:
I think Alex summed it up best, but here's some more data:
  • Fun social rides with my wife: 16-18 mph average speed
  • Typical training rides: 19-21 mph average door to door 22-25 mph during 20 minute threshold efforts
  • Century rides: 18-20 mph average speed (these are for fun and training)
  • Road races: 20-24 mph average depending on course and group tactics
  • Crits: 24-28 mph average speed
  • Flat Time Trials: 24-28 mph depending on length, wind and road surface
  • Best long ride ever 21.2 mph average speed for 206 miles and 7500 feet of climbing this past weekend in a sanctioned race from Logan Utah to Jackson Wyoming.
Yeah, I'm blowin' my own horn a bit, but FWIW those aren't really fast times and I'm not winning most of my races. The fast guys are a lot faster and I was half an hour slower than the guy that won my race on Saturday.

-Dave
Dave, your wife's a bit of a hammer too, if Wyoming as as hilly as rumoured. Now if your kid's tricylcle time is in double digits, that's pretty impressive too. :)

kopride said:
Dave, your wife's a bit of a hammer too, if Wyoming as as hilly as rumoured. ...
Wyoming's got its hills, but Jackson Hole is either pretty flat or straight up and down depending on the road you choose. Her game is hockey and telemark skiing, I wouldn't want to stand in front of one of her slapshots.....But she really tears up fresh powder, the attached shot is a typical day of spring backcountry skiing under blue skies. Believe it or not, there's more to life than cycling :)

-Dave

BullGod said:
If you were riding alone for this (not in a group or behind a derny), and weren't riding on a 170km downhill ride, or with a wind behind you this is improbable.

Unless of course you are a really good pro. (or drafting one)

With a group, on a flat ride, without too much wind this is plausible, but alone? No way.

How do I know? I ride elites in Holland, which is totally flat, (although very windy) and it's considered "good form" for an elite rider riding alone (on a not windy day) to get a shade under 3 hours for a 100km training ride. another 70km on that, with a higher speed? alone? Sorry.....
I looked up the power file from my own 172 km solo ride I did at the end of September. I averaged 33 km/h, but this includes riding out of a major city and back downtown, which takes a good 1.25 hours, each way. This really impacts your average power and speed.

I did average 35 km/h (AP 265 w, NP 286 w) for a 130 km strectch in the middle of the ride, however.:)

I love average speed posts, especially when there are so many variables involved in average cycling speeds.

Anyway, my speed ranges are generally pretty broad. I commuted for years after I retired from racing. And I got a pretty good idea of my speeds over the years. In the winter, when I was commuting to work, it was between a 16.5 to 17 mph average for a 51-mile commute. In the summer, it was much faster, 20 to 21 mph.

When I wasn't commuting, you know, fighting SUVs in the city, hopping parking lot curbs and riding through someone's backyard to take a shortcut (that's no joke, by the way :) ), my speeds were higher. In the summer, on a weekend ride (not commuting), I could average 23 for a couple hours. Now that tired me out!

Some of you may know that I stopped riding altogether for a couple years (back injury...hit by a car), but I started riding again almost a year ago. Currently, I don't know what my typical average speeds are since I have been living in one of the world's most crowded cities (Seoul, Korea) for the past year, and I usually have to stop about every 100 meters for whatever to get out of the city. And anyway, most of my training here is done on the trainer.

I did do a 1000-ft. climb here this past summer at 15-16 mph. I don't know the distance, but I got to the top in well under 9 minutes.